Turn Off Ads?
Page 57 of 70 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis Thread

Re: Tennis Thread

I'm kind of neutral on Novak, but hardly surprising he did something stupid which led to an ejection.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm kind of neutral on Novak, but hardly surprising he did something stupid which led to an ejection.
    I've said this before, but I think he makes a very good case for being the best of the big 3 and the best all time. I just don't like how he goes about it. Plus, I'm more drawn to offensive players.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

4. Likes:

TexasRedsFan (09-06-2020)

I've never liked Joker, but I admit to feeling a little bad for him getting run for a clearly unintentional act. He had a perfect record going this year too.

Something like that could only happen in 2020.

It seems like Novak throws a temper tantrum and does this 1-2 times each match, he just happened to hit someone this time around. It’s wasn’t intentional, but it’s 100% his fault and it’s tough to feel sorry for him.

Huge loss for the US Open though, which was already light on star power without Federer and Nadal... now without Novak the men’s draw is a real snooze.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    It seems like Novak throws a temper tantrum and does this 1-2 times each match, he just happened to hit someone this time around. It’s wasn’t intentional, but it’s 100% his fault and it’s tough to feel sorry for him.

Huge loss for the US Open though, which was already light on star power without Federer and Nadal... now without Novak the men’s draw is a real snooze.
    I kind of like the open the nature of it. Somebody's breaking their Grand Slam duck at this tournament. I'm curious to see how everyone plays when they know there isn't going to be a monster at the end of the story.

I kind of like the open the nature of it. Somebody's breaking their Grand Slam duck at this tournament. I'm curious to see how everyone plays when they know there isn't going to be a monster at the end of the story.
    Watching the next generation trying to dethrone the Big 3 is compelling, winning a Slam without having to beat Novak, Rafa or Roger sort of cheapens the accomplishment.

9. Likes:

M2 (09-07-2020)

Jennifer Brady was really impressive this tournament. She gave Osaka everything she could handle and looked like she absolutely belonged there. Will be interesting to watch her next year.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

11. Likes:

M2 (09-13-2020)

Dominic Thiem entered the Grand Slam club with a thriller today.

Since the beginning of 2004, only one American on the men's side has reached the final of a Grand Slam event. Andy Roddick. That's it. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Since the beginning of 2004, only one American on the men's side has reached the final of a Grand Slam event. Andy Roddick. That's it. Amazing.
    Not going to happen in the French that starts on Monday.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I mostly forgot the French Open was happening, but it's hard to not be excited about another Djokovic/Nadal grand slam final (assuming Djoker doesn't choke away the 2 set lead or hit a ball at a linesperson in his current match). We probably do not have too many of these left.

With all if the rain and cold, Rafa's spin advantage is gone.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    With all if the rain and cold, Rafa's spin advantage is gone.
    Yet, straight sets win.

Meanwhile Tsitsipas has sent his match with Djokovic to a 5th set after being down 2-0. This could be a wild finish. Update: looks like Tsitsipas has run out of gas. Bummer.
    Last edited by M2; 10-09-2020 at 04:23 PM.

This Swiatek person no one had ever heard of before looks pretty incredible. She’s 19 and has steamrolled the field. Coming into the finals, she hasn’t lost a set. And of those 12 sets, she won 5 of them 6-1 and 4 of them 6-2. And it’s not like she’s beating nobodies.

She’s got Kenin totally off her game and is obviously in her head. Kenin is so patient and never tries to overpower anyone, but she’s making uncharacteristic errors trying to get a little more from her shots. Swiatek hits with power, gets to everything, and doesn’t beat herself.

She looks like a force that’s going to be elite for a long time. But Ostapenko won 3 years ago out of nowhere and hasn’t done anything since, so who knows.

19. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    This Swiatek person no one had ever heard of before looks pretty incredible. She’s 19 and has steamrolled the field. Coming into the finals, she hasn’t lost a set. And of those 12 sets, she won 5 of them 6-1 and 4 of them 6-2. And it’s not like she’s beating nobodies.

She’s got Kenin totally off her game and is obviously in her head. Kenin is so patient and never tries to overpower anyone, but she’s making uncharacteristic errors trying to get a little more from her shots. Swiatek hits with power, gets to everything, and doesn’t beat herself.

She looks like a force that’s going to be elite for a long time. But Ostapenko won 3 years ago out of nowhere and hasn’t done anything since, so who knows.
    Women's tennis seems to generate a lot of one-hit wonders: Ostapenko, Marion Bartoli, Sam Stosur, Flavia Pennetta, Francesca Schiavone. Swiatek, Kenin, Sloane Stephens, Ash Barty and Bianca Andreescu are going to be trying not to join them.

Turn Off Ads?