Turn Off Ads?
Page 58 of 70 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis Thread

Re: Tennis Thread

I feel like the men’s final is a battle of good vs evil. Go Rafa!!
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Likes:

nmculbreth (10-11-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Novak Djokovic is evil? That is quite the stretch.

Good shows Evil some love. 6-love to be exact. Nadal takes set one.
    Last edited by texasdave; 10-11-2020 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Novak Djokovic is evil? That is quite the stretch.

Good spanks Evil 6-0 to take the first set.
    Evil? No. But definitely the least likeable of the Big 3.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    Evil? No. But definitely the least likeable of the Big 3.
    You can be the least likable of 3, and still be likable. I love to watch Djokovic play tennis.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    You can be the least likable of 3, and still be likable. I love to watch Djokovic play tennis.
    I love matching Djokovic play but I’ll never root for him over Federer or Nadal.

Djokovic is obviously a great player. A good case can even be made he’s the best of the big 3. But I’ve never especially enjoyed watching him play. Defensive tennis is boring to me. I prefer the Federer and Nadal style so much more. To me, there were few things less enjoyable to watch than Djokovic/Murray matches where every point seemed to be a 20 shot rally.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Nadal and Djokovic seem like they're so far ahead of everyone else on the planet. I know it ends some time, but I'm not sure it ends soon. At the end of every season we hear pronouncements that it's the end of the dynasty. Yet they just keep coming. I'm not sure Federer can get back at age 39 (and he turns 40 before the next U.S. Open). What I think we're going to see is Rafa and Novak battling it out over the next three years for who gets the top seat on tennis' Mt. Olympus.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

King Nadal!
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Anyone watching the ATP Championships? Strange time in the sports universe with so many major events getting crammed into a short calendar space.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The Australian Open is getting to the final rounds. On the men's side, Djokovic has dropped five sets along the way, but he's got a soft semifinal matchup. If Nadal wants to get to the final, he's got to go through Tsitsipas and Medvedev/Rublev. He's cruised so far. Won't be so easy from here on out.

Serena just dispatched Halep in straight to set up a semi against Osaka. Barty has yet to drop a set in her half of the bracket and doesn't have any major competitors between her and the final.

Brady is playing real well. I think she gets by Barty (assuming Brady wins tonight). But the winner of that Williams/Osaka match seems like the overwhelming favorite (even if it's the #1 seed Barty).

Barty just dropped her first set. She's in a match against Muchova. Though I'm rooting for Brady-Barty just to squeeze an Abbott and Costello routine out of it.

15. Likes:

UKFlounder (02-18-2021)

Golden opportunity for Brady to get to the finals now.

17. Likes:

M2 (02-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Golden opportunity for Brady to get to the finals now.
    Barty melted almost the moment I praised her. With that in mind I'd like to note how the Cardinals, Cubs, Brewers and Pirates all may go undefeated this season when they're not playing each other.

19. Likes:

Boston Red (02-16-2021)

Brady is rolling against Pegula now. Good to see so many American women in the quarters, but none of them are exactly young, rising stars.

Turn Off Ads?