Turn Off Ads?
Page 64 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis Thread

Re: Tennis Thread

May drop a few bucks on Kyrgios. In the unlikely event he can keep his head together for two weeks, 100-1 seems like a nice price.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Djokovic lost his appeal and has left Australia. Kind of nice to see a wealthy celebrity not get special treatment. What's unknown is whether this means he can't re-enter Australia for three years.

With the 9-time winner out (along with 6-time winner Roger Federer), it kind of leaves the field wide open. Perfect opportunity for a breakthrough winner.
    William Goldman has a great quote about celebrities. They are just like everyone else, except no one ever tells them no. All of this nonsense is due to Djokovic thinking the rules don’t apply to him, which has probably always been the case, until now.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

4. Likes:

Chip R (01-18-2022),M2 (01-17-2022)

I'm kind of torn on the Djokovic saga. I don't feel any real sympathy towards him, but the way it was handled it pretty embarrassing, IMO. There's no reason they couldn't have made all these decisions ahead of time and avoided the drama of him being told he can play, traveling to Australia, then the back and forth between the government and the judiciary. There's no doubt it became an opportunity for politicians in an election year to posture for votes.

But at the end of the day, the easiest way for it to be avoided was for him to get vaccinated like 97% of the field did. He really didn't think the rules applied to him. I agree with Tsitsipas that allowing him to play would make the rest of them look foolish. It would have been a slap in the face to the rest of the players, and I don’t buy for a second that he conveniently tested positive the month before the event in his home country where he’s pretty much deity. That’s most likely why he was going about his life like nothing was going on, because nothing really was going on. The only downside is Djokovic is already becoming a martyr for the "free choice" crowd, none of which seems to understand what free choice really means.
    Last edited by MWM; 01-18-2022 at 08:23 AM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

6. Likes:

M2 (01-18-2022),Redsfaithful (01-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I don’t buy for a second that he conveniently tested positive the month before the event in his home country where he’s pretty much deity. That’s most likely why he was going about his life like nothing was going on, because nothing really was going on.
    Exactly, 100% agree

- - - Updated - - -

Nick Krygios looked very strong in round 1.

He also had an underhand serve that he hit between his legs with wicked side spin - I've seen plenty of underhand quick serves before but that's the first time I've seen one between the legs like that.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Nick Krygios looked very strong in round 1.

He also had an underhand serve that he hit between his legs with wicked side spin - I've seen plenty of underhand quick serves before but that's the first time I've seen one between the legs like that.
    He gets Medvedev in the next round. Going to need to play the match of his life.

Sleeper awesome 2nd round match is the battle of the hyphates: Felix Auger-Aliasimme vs. Alejandro Davidovich-Fokina.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Djokovic better get his vaccine or he's not going to be able to go to France.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

10. Likes:

M2 (01-18-2022)

Through two rounds in Australia and we're down to four American men - Sebatian Korda, Riley Opelka, Taylor Fritz and Maxime Cressy. Cressy is the only one who might be favored to win his next matchup. Who do you have as the last yank standing?

Also down to four on the women's side - Amanda Anisimova, Jessica Pegula, Madison Keys and Danielle Collins.

Good riddance to Nick Kyrgios. See ya.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I'm kind of torn on the Djokovic saga. I don't feel any real sympathy towards him, but the way it was handled it pretty embarrassing, IMO. There's no reason they couldn't have made all these decisions ahead of time and avoided the drama of him being told he can play, traveling to Australia, then the back and forth between the government and the judiciary. There's no doubt it became an opportunity for politicians in an election year to posture for votes.

But at the end of the day, the easiest way for it to be avoided was for him to get vaccinated like 97% of the field did. He really didn't think the rules applied to him. I agree with Tsitsipas that allowing him to play would make the rest of them look foolish. It would have been a slap in the face to the rest of the players, and I don’t buy for a second that he conveniently tested positive the month before the event in his home country where he’s pretty much deity. That’s most likely why he was going about his life like nothing was going on, because nothing really was going on. The only downside is Djokovic is already becoming a martyr for the "free choice" crowd, none of which seems to understand what free choice really means.
    Well, they just removed a person with a “Where’s Peng Shuai” t-shirt so I’m
    Pretty sure we know what we’re dealing with here.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Well, they just removed a person with a “Where’s Peng Shuai” t-shirt so I’m
    Pretty sure we know what we’re dealing with here.
    And those two things are related how?

Three American women have advanced to the quarterfinals - Danielle Collins, Madison Keys and Jessica Pegula. Pegula draws number one seed - Ashleigh Barty. Yikes! Collins gets the unseeded Alize Cornet. Keys will tangle with 4th-seed Barbora Krejickova.

The men have one lone entrant left - Taylor Fritz. He leads 4th-seed Stefanos Tsitsipas 4-3 in the fifth set.

Alas and alack, Fritz fall 4-6 in the final set.
    Last edited by texasdave; 01-24-2022 at 08:24 AM.

16. Likes:

M2 (01-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Three American women have advanced to the quarterfinals - Danielle Collins, Madison Keys and Jessica Pegula. Pegula draws number one seed - Ashleigh Barty. Yikes! Collins gets the unseeded Alize Cornet. Keys will tangle with 4th-seed Barbora Krejickova.

The men have one lone entrant left - Taylor Fritz. He leads 4th-seed Stefanos Tsitsipas 4-3 in the fifth set.

Alas and alack, Fritz fall 4-6 in the final set.
    Fritz and Cressy acquitted themselves well against two of the top seeds in the tournament. Hopefully it's something they can build on. It would be nice having some U.S. players who are better than early round fodder.

Collins has got a real shot at making the finals.

18. Likes:

texasdave (01-24-2022)

Cornet is the sentimental favorite of the moment, though.

Cornet is such a lunatic that she's fun to watch.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Rafa wins the Aussie open for 21!!!!! UNREAL!
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

22. Likes:

M2 (01-30-2022)

Turn Off Ads?