Turn Off Ads?
Page 55 of 70 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis Thread

Re: Tennis Thread

Nadal is out. Did NOT see that one coming! Is Thiem the favorite now?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Nadal is out. Did NOT see that one coming! Is Thiem the favorite now?
    Thiem always seems to play Nadal tough, even on Clay. I'm sure outside of Djokovic and maybe Federer (beat him 6 straight times on hard courts), Nadal would have rather seen anyone else before Thiem.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Thiem always seems to play Nadal tough, even on Clay. I'm sure outside of Djokovic and maybe Federer (beat him 6 straight times on hard courts), Nadal would have rather seen anyone else before Thiem.
    Except Federer is injured so that would have been much better. Still, the first time Thiem has beaten him in a best-of-five.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

American Sofia Kenin wins the Australian Open! Very cool, and a great final with very high level tennis. I don't think this is a fluke - Kenin looks like she will stick. Moves incredibly, incredibly well with solid weapons.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

7. Likes:

MWM (02-01-2020)

Novak Djokovic was beat, until he wasn't. Fittingly enough on Groundhog's Day, Djokovic dug deep and found a way to win the Australian Open for the 8th time. Dominic Thiem gave him everything he could handle. Thiem is going to win a Grand Slam, probably sooner as opposed to later. Great final match, IMO.

They just canceled the entire Indian Wells tournament. My Sister is now scrambling trying to see what she can cancel having been ready to fly there tomorrow morning and return in two weeks.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Can't imagine Miami happens either now.

Then you have Monte Carlo in April, Madrid & French Open in May (for master's and above tournaments)

March Madness, Opening Day, the Masters, Indy 500, Triple Crown horse races all coming up ... this is going to be a weird year. I don't think much of this April stuff happens, at least not with fans present.

Saw someone point out this turned out to be perfect timing for Federer to have surgery. He might not miss anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post

Then you have Monte Carlo in April, Madrid & French Open in May (for master's and above tournaments)

March Madness, Opening Day, the Masters, Indy 500, Triple Crown horse races all coming up ... this is going to be a weird year. I don't think much of this April stuff happens, at least not with fans present.
    There was one reported case in the County, they panicked and declared a state of emergency in the County, and that's enough that nobody wants to risk being a part of a quarantined area. It's ridiculous the state of panic people are having. Institute good hygiene and be extra cautious with the elderly and everything is fine.

My Spouse is a pharmacist with the county health department. She works with the homeless, AIDS patients, mentally ill and destitute on a daily basis. I've been caring for my Mom with Alzheimers for a dozen years having transmitted only once a cold to her and that was a very long time ago. I stopped eating at places for the most part ten years ago once I could look up their restaurant scores and they didn't regularly score 100's. Most restaurants that employ hipsters and people where English isn't their primary language generally have the worst scores. I've always made exceptions, but I probably won't for a while. I'll continue to wash my hands the 75 times per day that I do, and I won't transmit anything to anyone. My spouse will continue to work daily with the vulnerable and Life will move on.

14. Likes:

North (03-09-2020)

Maria Sharapova retires. She was a darling for many a year, and was a great asset to the sport.

Maria Sharapova retires from tennis after 19-year pro career

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/...-years-playing

16. Likes:

Chip R (03-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post

They're running biathlon competitions with no spectators (it draws big crowds in Europe). I suspect we're going to see a lot of empty arenas and stands at sporting events.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    My Spouse is a pharmacist with the county health department. She works with the homeless, AIDS patients, mentally ill and destitute on a daily basis. I've been caring for my Mom with Alzheimers for a dozen years having transmitted only once a cold to her and that was a very long time ago. I stopped eating at places for the most part ten years ago once I could look up their restaurant scores and they didn't regularly score 100's. Most restaurants that employ hipsters and people where English isn't their primary language generally have the worst scores. I've always made exceptions, but I probably won't for a while. I'll continue to wash my hands the 75 times per day that I do, and I won't transmit anything to anyone. My spouse will continue to work daily with the vulnerable and Life will move on.
    Can I help?

19. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Can I help? PM?

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Can I help?
    All is good. Wish everyone well. We live in such a mob society where every little thing is blown way out of proportion with so much abuse of power and those that think they have it getting into everybody's business under the egoistic guise that they know what's best for someone else. They need to mind their own business, and if they truly care about others, then comfort those they come into direct contact with and stay out of everyone else's business. That's my goal. It's a challenge every day, but most every day I try to do things to help me achieve my goal. I fail at it every day, but would do much worse if I didn't always try to improve.

Turn Off Ads?