Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis Thread

Re: Tennis Thread

Kyrgios is great entertainment. Today’s match was top shelf.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Kyrgios just turned 24, and isn't exactly flaming out of the sport.

I'd rather watch Krygios over Rafa any day, and I don't even dislike Rafa. Man, save me from watching "professionalism" in sports, gag.
    I'd rather watch Rafa than anyone else, ever.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-04-2019)

Colorful is good. Kyrgios isn't colorful, though. He's more of a POS waste of talent.

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-04-2019)

He’s interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Colorful is good. Kyrgios isn't colorful, though. He's more of a POS waste of talent.
    I appreciate his heel act in small doses. It's kind of fun watching him jerk it up only to lose.

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd rather watch Rafa than anyone else, ever.
    After having seen him pick at the seat of his shorts roughly a billion times my interest has waned a bit. Like I said though, I like the guy.

There's really no one close to watching Federer for me, nobody else in my lifetime is even close when it comes to my interest level ... I guess Agassi would be second. Interesting to think about.

Krygios is in top 10 though, when he's engaged anyway, which is saying something since he hasn't really done much.

He usually has a point when he loses it (not always.) It's not as if he was wrong about Wawrinka and teenage girls.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

After having seen him pick at the seat of his shorts roughly a billion times my interest has waned a bit. Like I said though, I like the guy.

There's really no one close to watching Federer for me, nobody else in my lifetime is even close when it comes to my interest level ... I guess Agassi would be second. Interesting to think about.

Krygios is in top 10 though, when he's engaged anyway, which is saying something since he hasn't really done much.

He usually has a point when he loses it (not always.) It's not as if he was wrong about Wawrinka and teenage girls.
    I find Federer mechanical.

Milos Raonic summarily dismissed Reilly Opelka in straight sets.

Two more Top-10 seeds on the men's side fall by the wayside: #10 Karen Khachanov and #4 Kevin Anderson. #11 Daniil Medvedov as well.

15-year-old Cori Gauff has split the first 2 sets of her third-round match.

13. Likes:

M2 (07-05-2019)

Coco is the star of this fortnight no matter what happens the rest of the way!

I find Federer mechanical.
    Interesting how everyone comes at something differently - Federer's play is beautiful to me.

Nadal is more of a grinder, which I also appreciate, but it's different.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Interesting how everyone comes at something differently - Federer's play is beautiful to me.

Nadal is more of a grinder, which I also appreciate, but it's different.
    I like the Jimmy Connors description of Rafa - "He plays like he's broke."

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-05-2019),texasdave (07-05-2019)

Federer and Nadal are kind of like Messi and Ronaldo to me. It's hard to distinguish which is greater, but their style of play is so different that it comes to down to which one suits your eye better. For me, Federer is more like Messi and Nadal like Ronaldo. It's graceful and artistic vs power and intensity.

I was always a big Fed fan and I love watching his style of play. Mechanical is one of the last words I would have used to describe him. I could never dislike Nadal, but I didn't really become a fan until about 4 years ago. At that point, it really looked to me like his career was over. He could hardly get out of the 3rd round at slams and it looked like he had lost all his powerful ground strokes. He was a shell of his former shelf.

That's when I realized how much I did like him because I was really sad that he was done....at least I thought he was done. Also, watching how Djokovic handled being the clear top guy made me appreciate the grace and class of Nadal and Federer even more. Djokovic may very well be the best of the 3, but he'll never be loved the way Federer and Nadal are. When the slams come around, I'm now in anyone but Novak mode.

- - - Updated - - -

I never thought I'd find myself rooting for Fognini, but I do not want to see Sandgren make it through. The less attention in him the better.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

19. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-07-2019),Redsfaithful (07-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Coco is the star of this fortnight no matter what happens the rest of the way!
    I turned that match on when she was down 5-2 in the second set. I thought I'd leave it on just to see the commentary after the loss. Man, she is a fighter. It's fun to watch that part of it.

But the 3rd set of that match was just painful to watch. It was like watching a weekend pick up game at my local courts with a couple of 3.5 players. Hercog was afraid to hit any full shot so she spent the whole set hitting slice shots, both forehand and backhand. Gauff also seemed to be feeling the nerves so would respond similarly. It was an incredibly low quality set, even though it was cool to see Gauff come out on top.

Hard to see Gauff getting past Halep, but she's going to be in a final sooner rather than later I think.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Watching the interview with Rafa they’re showing during the Fed match. This was a great example of why I’ve grown to like him so much.

22. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-07-2019)

I like the Jimmy Connors description of Rafa - "He plays like he's broke."
    Love that quote.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Watching the interview with Rafa they’re showing during the Fed match. This was a great example of why I’ve grown to like him so much.
    He's very reciprocal. Sometimes his english makes for some awkward quotes.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?