Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 70 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis Thread

Re: Tennis Thread

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If Rafa wins, he also joins Rod Laver as the only player with two of each. On the women's side, Serena could tie Margaret Court for the most slams of all time.
    When Laver got them, the playing surfaces were similar. Much easier.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Serena out early (for her) in the third round. It was a competitive match against the 27th-seeded Wang Qiang. Nobody expected that.

I watched most of the first set of that Serena match, and I was pretty surprised when she came out. She's always been huge, of course, but usually in a good way. She just looked heavy as and slow to me. I think she's getting too old to carry that kind of weight and win grand slams.

5. Likes:

texasdave (01-24-2020)

Just saw that Gauff beat Osaka. That's huge. Can she win a grand slam at 15?

7. Likes:

Redsfaithful (01-24-2020)

John Millman = Federer kryptonite. Weird.

Go Coco!!! I think she could win it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Got some interesting 4th round matchups on the men's side. Djokovic gets Schwartzmann. Raonic (who dispatched Tsitsipas) gets Cilic. Fed, who's probably going to be feeling that five-setter, gets an on-fire sleeper in Fucsovics. And then we have a pray-for-meteor-strike-that-kills-them-both matchup between Sandgren and Fognini.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I watched most of the first set of that Serena match, and I was pretty surprised when she came out. She's always been huge, of course, but usually in a good way. She just looked heavy as and slow to me. I think she's getting too old to carry that kind of weight and win grand slams.
    I didn't see it, but it's probably time to start asking whether Serena's won her last major. That moment comes for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    John Millman = Federer kryptonite. Weird.

Go Coco!!! I think she could win it.
    I'd like to see how easy she finds her next match because that was a weird effort from Osaka. Gauff was completely gifted the second set.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I didn't see it, but it's probably time to start asking whether Serena's won her last major. That moment comes for everyone.
    I think it's how much does she want to keep doing it just for a record that's meaningless anyway.

Margaret Court having the record for slams is like taking a baseball record seriously that was set in the 19th century. All those Australian Open titles she won in the 60s are borderline meaningless and it's revisionist history to call them slam titles.

13. Likes:

M2 (01-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I think it's how much does she want to keep doing it just for a record that's meaningless anyway.

Margaret Court having the record for slams is like taking a baseball record seriously that was set in the 19th century. All those Australian Open titles she won in the 60s are borderline meaningless and it's revisionist history to call them slam titles.
    But there is the schadenfreude of making Court feel bad before she dies.

15. Likes:

Redsfaithful (01-25-2020)

It looks like Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and (probably) Wawrinka will all move on to the semis. You can almost set your watch to the first 3 being there. So, now the real tournament can begin, at least on the men's side. This trio is simply amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    It looks like Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and (probably) Wawrinka will all move on to the semis. You can almost set your watch to the first 3 being there. So, now the real tournament can begin, at least on the men's side. This trio is simply amazing.
    There's some landmine potential in there. Rafa's got a tough opponent in Thiem. Wawrinka has to recover from his five-setter and faces the #7 seed in Zverev, who's had an easy glide path so far. Djokovic historically owns Raonic, but the big guy is playing what might be his best-ever tennis. On paper Fed should scrub Sandgren, but Fed's had to do extra work his last two matches and maybe that affects him here.
    Last edited by M2; 01-27-2020 at 03:31 PM.

Zverev really didn't think this charity thing through. If he wins the tournament he is donating 100% of his winnings to fire efforts, if he finishes 2nd he is donating 0%. Weird incentives at play there if he makes the final.

19. Likes:

texasdave (01-27-2020)

Federer rallies from being down 2 sets to 1, saving numerous match points along the way. Amazing.

7 match point saves for Federer, many on his second serve. Unreal!

22. Likes:

Sea Ray (01-28-2020)

Turn Off Ads?