Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 70 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis Thread

Re: Tennis Thread

This women's final is awful.

Vinci hasn't hit a single backhand. She's slicing everything.
    Last edited by MWM; 09-12-2015 at 03:45 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

How would you like to have bought a ticket?

My Sister finally broke down and is going to Palm Springs for the tournament next March.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I didn't watch the Serena loss, but watching the final yesterday I just can't imagine how she lost to that player?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Nerves.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Djoker wins his 10th major, only the 7th men's player to do it (Fred, Rafa, Sampras, Emerson, Laver, Borg, Tilden). Fed had what seemed like a zillion break points, but couldn't convert.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I think it's possible that Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic are the top 3 players of all time. Federer has most of the shots he used to have. His serve is better than it's ever been. He doesn't quite cover the ground he used to, but he still gets around the court very well. The big difference between now and his prime is that he lacks the same level of confidence in big points. He gets nervous now where he never did before. This is the most common downfall of the all time greats. Nicklaus used to talk about it in golf. When you get older, it becomes more difficult to sustain the mental focus than when they're young. To me, when I watch Fed now, that's what he's lacking.

This is one of the great all time seasons for Djokovic. He's lost only 4 times this year year, twice to Federer and once to Murray and Wawrinka. He and Fed are the clear top 2, but there's a big gap after that, unfortunately. On any given day Wawrinka can beat anyone, or lose to anyone. He's got the physical game, but not the mental. Murray has lost 16 of 18 against those 2, so I don't see him as all that close to them. And after that, it's a huge dropoff to the next group of guys. Unless a new crop of young guys emerge really soon, I see no reason not to think it's going to be continue to be Djokovic dominating with Fed coming up just short for the next couple of years. As great as Novak is, I don't see any other great players right now outsie a 34 year old Federer.

I really miss Nadal. I wish it would have been a steadier decline for him so we could have savored those moments where he was still the same Nadal. His demise pretty much happened overnight and these events aren't the same without him. I really hope he finds the fountain of youth this off-season like Federer did a couple of years ago.

8. Likes:

M2 (09-14-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Nerves.
    I watched the last 2 sets they replayed during the weather delay yesterday. I never put any credence behind conspiracy theories, but if I was ever to suspect something fishy was going on, it would have been this match. I know the chances of that being the case are like .0000001%, but something just wasn't right. I've seen enough Serena to know her theatrics pretty well, but I kept thinking "OK, that's a little much there Serena. You're trying a little too hard to show us how intense you are right now." I'm sure it was just nerves, but that may have been the biggest mismatch that went for the underdog I've ever seen in any sport. Had Jacksonville State held off Auburn on Saturday, I'm not sure this result wouldn't have been even more surprising.

It was a huge upset, but I think all the Buster Douglas/greatest upset ever I've seen is a little much. Vinci is a top 20 player, has been as high as 11. She has a career doubles grand slam. She can play.

Stuff like this happens in tennis, it just requires an off day.

Serena has been dancing on the edge of a knife all year. She's dropped a lot of sets to players who aren't on her level, it's not that shocking she eventually got burned.

There wasn't a lot of fanfare, but Federer and Nadal played their first match in while in the finals of the Swiss indoor on Sunday. It was a really good match. Fed outplayed him most of the match, but Nadal just knows how to stay in a match when he doesn't have his best stuff. He clearly doesn't have the arsenal he used to have, but he was very competitive. It was fun to watch.

Nadal is obviously playing better now than he did much of this year, but it's still hard to watch how much his game has declined. His inside-out forehand is probably the most powerful weapon in the history of the sports, and he just can't hit it by anyone any more. I'm not sure why he's lost power, but it's clearly not there any more. I hope he can find some way to get close to his old form next year. It would be great to see. I miss the old Nadal.

Based on your description, I thought Nadal had won the match. I had to Google it up and was pleasantly surprised to see that Federer did win. I saw on Saturday that they would be playing, but I just forgot about it until you mentioned it here.

Nadal's just had so many injuries. His style of play is hard on the body. Hopefully he'll be healthier in 2016.

That was a win for Nadal mentally. It also ended the three-year contract Nadal had in that tournament when Federer tried to extort them into more money...so they signed Nadal instead. He was too injured to play two years ago, and had the appendesitis (sp?) last year. But the sponsors got their money's worth this year.

Today has some great matchups.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I was told the indoor favors Federer as it prevents Nadal from getiing as high of a return on his hits, so Federer's weakness with his backhand can't be exploited by Nadal's top-spin.

Tough loss for Nadal fans tonght. Can't believe he and Wawrinka were playing at 2:00 a.m.

17. Likes:

Dom Heffner (11-06-2015)

Back in the USA.

Indian Wells this week and next. My Sister went down for two weeks (she said she's going to make sure she touches Rafa). Federer will be missed.

19. Likes:

Dom Heffner (03-08-2016)

Turn Off Ads?