Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis Thread

Re: Tennis Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Hopefully he also doesn't have Kyrgios's mental issues. I've got Tiafoe something like +1270 tomorrow night. Worth a shot, I guess.
    I don't think Nadal has really been pushed yet. Probably he wins easily, but +1270 is solid.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

“I knew he was going to bring crazy intensity, I knew the ball was going to be jumping. I knew if he got hold of a forehand, it was going to be barbecued chicken,” Tiafoe said.

“But point in, point out, I’ve never seen someone so locked in.”
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Hoping for Novak vs. Nadal.

How about Danielle Collins?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    “I knew he was going to bring crazy intensity, I knew the ball was going to be jumping. I knew if he got hold of a forehand, it was going to be barbecued chicken,” Tiafoe said.

“But point in, point out, I’ve never seen someone so locked in.”
    There's a reason Nadal, Djokovic and Fed have dominated the sport for as long as they have. Age perhaps has finally caught up to Fed, but when any one of them is locked in, it's a sight to behold (even for the guy standing on the other side of the net).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

Hoosier Red (01-28-2019),Kingspoint (01-22-2019)

That was quick (1:45).
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I got up to watch the Nadal-Tsitsipas match, thinking it might be competitive. Wrong. Nadal steamrolled (Rickrolled?) that young man.

9. Likes:

Chip R (01-24-2019)

If Nadal plays the way he has the last 2 matches, there’s no beating him, not even Novak.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to think Federer may wind up 3rd among the big 3 in slams when all is said and done.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

11. Likes:

M2 (01-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    If Nadal plays the way he has the last 2 matches, there’s no beating him, not even Novak.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to think Federer may wind up 3rd among the big 3 in slams when all is said and done.
    If Rafa and Novak can last as long as Fed, they definitely can catch him. Every non-French Open Rafa wins is big because he's probably another three of those in his tank. He looks unbeatable at the moment, but if there's one I had to pick to beat Rafa when he looks unbeatable, it's Djokovic. They're going to be a clash of the titans if they meet in the final.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If Rafa and Novak can last as long as Fed, they definitely can catch him. Every non-French Open Rafa wins is big because he's probably another three of those in his tank. He looks unbeatable at the moment, but if there's one I had to pick to beat Rafa when he looks unbeatable, it's Djokovic. They're going to be a clash of the titans if they meet in the final.
    Second best match I've ever watched was their 2012 Aussie final. That one was one for the ages. I thought 2008 Wimbledon final was the better match to watch, but that 2012 match was incredible. The 3rd best may just be the Rafa/Novak Wimbledon semi last year.

It's weird to think that outside the French, Rafa has won only 6 majors, and only one of those has won more than twice. Outside Wimbledon, Fed has won 12. Outside of the Aussie, Novak has won 8. Heck, taking out the French for all 3 given the massive gap between Rafa ad every other player in history, Fed has 19, Novak has 13.

Not that any of that matters as the French is a major just like the others, but I've always though when he is on his game, Rafa feels like the most unbeatable of the big 3 on any surface. If you give me the big 3 all at the peak of their careers playing a round robin on all 3 surfaces, I'd pick Rafa to come away with the most wins.
    Last edited by MWM; 01-24-2019 at 04:45 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-25-2019),M2 (01-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    It could happen, but I feel like Nadal, with his style/intensity, is just going to break down physically. I think it will happen fast, too.

But I also thought it might happen before now. So Federer had better win Wimbledon this year if he wants to hang in there on top! That may be his last shot to get one (or maybe he'll win five more; who knows? These guys are all timeless and amazing!)
    Last edited by Boston Red; 01-24-2019 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    It could happen, but I feel like Nadal, with his style/intensity, is just going to break down physically. I think it will happen fast, too.

But I also thought it might happen before now. So Federer had better win Wimbledon this year if he wants to hang in there on top! That may be his last shot to get one (or maybe he'll win five more; who knows? These guys are all timeless and amazing!)
    I thought Nadal was completely done in 2016. To the eye, he'd lost most of his power and was still winning some matches due strictly to tennis IQ and competitiveness. He didn't look like he was a serious threat to win anything significant, not even the French. He'd had some injuries and the narrative among the pundits was that he'd lost his confidence, which seemed unimaginable to me. He's still not back to his peak, but he's not that far off either.

I think Fed is done. That's been said before, and I've even said it before. But this looks different. He'll be 38 by the time Wimbledon starts.

17. Likes:

Hoosier Red (01-28-2019)

Federer has 20. Nadal 17. Djokovic 14.

If Nadal wins the Australian, the French is almost a given. That pushes him to 19. Nipping on Roger's heels.

If Djokovic wins that's 15, including 3 straight. You figure he will one of Wimbledon/US Open. That would push him to 16. He's 5, maybe 6, years younger than Federer.

Poor Federer. He leads with 20 majors, but in a couple three years he might just be third on the list.

I think Roger is the most elegant/classic.

Nadal is pure power and determination.

Djokovic seems like the superior athlete. JMO.

I was hoping Tsitsipas would give Nadal a run. It would be nice to see some new blood. But Rafa crushed him.

If Rafa wins this title, he joins Rod Laver as the only player to win each Slam event twice.

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-25-2019)

Through two sets, Djokovic is toying with Nadal, winning 6-3 and 6-2.

Djokovic cruises through the third set to take the title (6-3). If I heard the announcers correctly, Nadal had not been broken in his first 6 matches. Novak broke him five times.

Nadal seem to lack that customary spark, but that may have been because of the play of Djokovic. As one fellow competitor put it, "There was no 'barbecued chicken' being served by Nadal in this match.
    Last edited by texasdave; 01-27-2019 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Through two sets, Djokovic is toying with Nadal, winning 6-3 and 6-2.

Djokovic cruises through the third set to take the title (6-3). If I heard the announcers correctly, Nadal had not been broken in his first 6 matches. Novak broke him five times.

Nadal seem to lack that customary spark, but that may have been because of the play of Djokovic. As one fellow competitor put it, "There was no 'barbecued chicken' being served by Nadal in this match.

"Toyed" is an understatement. Dominating win. Nadal almost looked like he was just happy to be there.

Turn Off Ads?