Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis Thread

Re: Tennis Thread

Oh no, you're on clay to boot? That slows the game down anyway, obviously.

At 3.5, I'd make sure you're moving him around, corner to corner, and like you said don't try to kill the ball. You just can't make unforced errors against these guys because they thrive off of that.

You also have to decide what your goal is in the match. If you want to work on your game and not care about the results then that is perfectly valid. But if you want to win, I think you figured out the strategy when you won 2 games in a row.

We may have already discussed it in this thread, can't remember, but have you read Winning Ugly?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

I haven't played anyone I'd consider a pusher at 4.0 yet, but I'm sure they are out there. Heck, I may be a 4.0 pusher because it's all I can do to get the ball back sometimes.

I'm 2-5-1 in my 4.0 league now (we play for an hour, first to 8, or if nobody gets to 8 the score stands after an hour.) I also have two wins against subs, but unfortunately matches vs. subs don't count.

I went down 5-1 last night and came back and won 6-5.

Two weeks ago I was up 5-2 and lost 8-5. I never seemed to have swings like this at 3.5, so I'm not sure if it's mental or what.

One of my wins is against a guy that's 8-2 in the league, so I think I have potential, just have to keep working.

Made a slight adjustment to my serve toss and my first serve has become scary good..... at least for my level. I get them in at a pretty good rate as well. But once my first serve technique changed a little, I started to struggle with my 2nd serve. It continually got worse and now it's really bad to the point it's affecting my confidence in my first serve. I know it's all in my head, but I've gone from double faulting once or twice a set at the most, to once or twice a game it seems. Frustrating, but part of the development process. I'm a very competitive person so I have to keep reminding myself that I've been playing not even a full year yet.
    Last edited by MWM; 01-11-2014 at 06:26 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

My serve is pretty terrible for my level, where I get over a little bit is the placement. I can put it up the middle, out wide, to a guy's backhand, etc. If they start cheating one way I am pretty good at catching them.

If your first serve is getting good that's a huge cushion you have. Work on the placement with that second (it can be a serious lollypop as long as you can put it where you want it) and you'll be killing everyone.

Wow! 108 degrees in Melbourne during matches. 140 degrees on the court!

8 players withdrew mid-match.

Rafa's opponent quit after six games (groin pull) and was booed by his countrymen (for quitting in previous matches and basically being the biggest jerk in the world).

Unbelievable number of matches going maximum number of sets despite the withdrawals. Don't know how they are surviving.

Once again, it's free on the 700's if you have Directv. Live streams can be found, of course.

Rafa getting freebies his first two rounds.

How does one return a serve that's 205 MPH?

How do you even see it when it's coming towards you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    How does one return a serve that's 205 MPH?

How do you even see it when it's coming towards you?

Everything is upside down in Australia. The faster the serve, the easier it is to return.

Actually, that is 205 kilometers per hour. That converts to 127 miles per hour.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Everything is upside down in Australia. The faster the serve, the easier it is to return.

Actually, that is 205 kilometers per hour. That converts to 127 miles per hour.
    Not that I could see a 127-mph serve coming at me either, but that does make a lot more sense.

Watched a bit of the ESPN coverage last night, they are doing a great job of bouncing around between matches as each becomes interesting.

I love watching tennis, but I rarely watch any of the first couple of rounds of slams. There's almost never competitive matches.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I love watching tennis, but I rarely watch any of the first couple of rounds of slams. There's almost never competitive matches.
    Not with the big names. Plenty of close ones lower down in the seeding.

I heard it is supposed to be 112 degrees coming up today!

Murray and Rafa expressed grave concern for the players being the caring people that they are (even though the extreme heat benefits Nadal), while Federer, never one to rock the boat of the sponsors and powers-that-be, says to just "suck it up". Nice support, there, Roger.

I love watching tennis in person and on tv, but on the way to work this morning my satellite radio had a channel broadcasting a match. Tennis doesn't exactly translate to "must listen" radio!
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

First big upset of the tournament at the expense of my favorite player, Juan Martin Del Potro. He's frustrating to follow as he seems disinterested at times and loses way too many matches to inferior opponents. He's the one guy with the talent to go out and challenge Djokovic/Nadal/Murray consistently. I didn't watch, but I'm guessing the heat was too much for him. Conditioning has been an issue for him in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    First big upset of the tournament at the expense of my favorite player, Juan Martin Del Potro. He's frustrating to follow as he seems disinterested at times and loses way too many matches to inferior opponents. He's the one guy with the talent to go out and challenge Djokovic/Nadal/Murray consistently. I didn't watch, but I'm guessing the heat was too much for him. Conditioning has been an issue for him in the past.
    Things are just falling into place for Nadal. (Del Potro was in his grouping.)

Turn Off Ads?