Turn Off Ads?
Page 60 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis Thread

Re: Tennis Thread

One thing I've noticed about recent American men playing the game is they're bulkier than most others. Seems like they've sold out on having a power game, which perhaps gets you to the top of the heap here, but their court coverage and shot-making skills are severely lacking. Kind of reminds of our soccer development in the generation that missed the World Cup. We prioritized kids who thrived in a brutalist, physical game and shunned the ones trying to work the ball. Just a guess, but maybe the kids with the higher ceiling is getting drummed out of the game at an early age by the kids who can batter the ball. Then we're left with one-dimensional players.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've got a big problem with Federer dropping out of the French Open. He's still recovering? Then don't enter a grand slam tournament. Otherwise don't drop out when it starts to get hard and take your upcoming L to Berrettini like a man. Grand slams aren't tune up tournaments. Respect the competition.

4. Likes:

DocRed (06-06-2021),texasdave (06-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I've got a big problem with Federer dropping out of the French Open. He's still recovering? Then don't enter a grand slam tournament. Otherwise don't drop out when it starts to get hard and take your upcoming L to Berrettini like a man. Grand slams aren't tune up tournaments. Respect the competition.
    I agree. Plus he's also taking a spot of a qualifier. A guy who is likely struggling to make ends meet by playing Challenger Tournaments. Even getting into the French Open is a huge amount of money to them...almost a $100K. Big time ******bag move IMO and PR nightmare. He's getting slammed on twitter and rightfully so. Arrogant prick...
    Last edited by DocRed; 06-06-2021 at 08:54 PM.

6. Likes:

M2 (06-06-2021),texasdave (06-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I agree. Plus he's also taking a spot of a qualifier. A guy who is likely struggling to make ends meet by playing Challenger Tournaments. Even getting into the French Open is a huge amount of money to them. Big time ******bag move IMO and PR nightmare. He's getting slammed on twitter.
    Excellent point about him taking a slot from someone for whom it would have made a huge difference. And it would be huge for Berrettini to claim Roger's scalp at a slam event. There's probably some sponsors blowing up his phone if they play that match and he wins. Good that Roger's getting ripped for it. As are the French Open officials for licking Fed's boots after the hardline stance they took on Osaka, who wanted to play in their tournament.
    Last edited by M2; 06-06-2021 at 01:11 PM.

8. Likes:

DocRed (06-06-2021),texasdave (06-06-2021)

Ughh..only 1 American woman in the quarters.

Yeah, Fed dropping out is a really bad look, especially if he had it in mind from the beginning. It's possible his body just wasn't holding up like he had hoped, but the way it was handled sure seems like it was the plan all along. Very disappointing.

I was also a little disappointed in his answers to questions about the allegations of domestic abuse against Zverev. I don't claim to know what happened or that he's definitely guilty of it, but Federer, who has always seen himself as somewhat of a spokesman for the players, said he was really uncomfortable talking about it, made a point to say what a great guy Zverev is, then said the ATP should stay out of the players personal lives. I'm not sure what I expected him to say, but his response to that situation was a bit of a blemish from my point of view.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

11. Likes:

M2 (06-07-2021)

Tsitsipas handled Medvedev in straight sets. Would not have guessed that outcome, but I like it.

13. Likes:

MWM (06-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Tsitsipas handled Medvedev in straight sets. Would not have guessed that outcome, but I like it.
    Medvedev isn't very good on clay. Never made it out of the first round of the French Open before this year. Career 11-20 on Clay before this tourney I think

15. Likes:

M2 (06-09-2021)

Tsitsipas roars out of the gate to take a two-set lead on Novak, before Djokovic turns the match around, and takes him to the woodshed in five sets. Major #19 for Djokovic, one behind Nadal and Federer.

Novak faced zero break points over the final three sets.

He became just the third player to win all four majors at least twice. (Rod Laver and Roy Emerson)
    Last edited by texasdave; 06-13-2021 at 06:16 PM.

17. Likes:

M2 (06-14-2021)

Naomi Osaka withdraws from Wimbledon. Poor kid. Hope she gets her issues straightened out.

Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from both Wimbledon and the Olympics. Are we witnessing a changing of the guard in men's tennis?

19. Likes:

DocRed (06-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Naomi Osaka withdraws from Wimbledon. Poor kid. Hope she gets her issues straightened out.

Rafael Nadal is withdraw from both Wimbledon and the Olympics. Are we witnessing a changing of the guard in men's tennis?
    Perhaps. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Nadal take a Federer-type approach and skip Wimbledon to focus on the summer hard court season after the French Open but there can’t really be a changing of the guard until the next generation proves that they can actually beat Djokovic.

21. Likes:

M2 (06-17-2021)

Wimbledon time!

Sebastian Korda with a fairly easy 4 set win over top 15 De Minaur. I really should have bet on him as I could have gotten +180 on Korda, and I would have picked him at even money. Watch out for him this tournament. He's got such easy power and his serve will only get better.

Kyrgios in a 5-setter vs Humbert that got delayed due to time. 2-2 in the fifth. He is my favorite non-American player.

Also did anyone catch Benoit Paire blatantly tanking today? Wow....bad
    Last edited by DocRed; 06-29-2021 at 07:03 PM.

Dang 8 American men still alive compared with just 5 women. Wouldn't have predicted that. Korda wins easy today and Tiafoe has looked great in his first 2 rounds. They could meet each other in the Rd of 16 should they each win their matches. Also the court conditions are atrocious. So many players going down due to slick conditions and multiple injuries and injury defaults. Not sure what they can do but they are definitely unsafe. Any other tournament would probably get postponed or something...

Andy Murray going to a fifth set in his 2nd round match.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

25. Likes:

DocRed (06-30-2021)

Argh...Tiafoe goes down in 3 sets. It's why you just can't get too excited with him his entire career. Will look great for a match or 2 then lay an absolute dud. He just lacks the consistency and is prone to mental lapses to ever see the top 20 in his career IMO.

Turn Off Ads?