Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 8/23/2013 Brewers at Reds

Re: 8/23/2013 Brewers at Reds

Not sure why anyone is up in arms or shocked that Votto swung and missed at an exploding 98 mph fastball.

Christ people.....he's not Krchkhris Davis hitting a fastball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

My god, People! Since the All Star break the Reds have won more games than both the Pirates and Cardinals! They just won 12 of 16 games.

The Reds are not going to go undefeated the rest of the season.

This is football mentality, don't worry: the bengals and buckeyes are a couple weeks away.

4. Likes:

Larkin Fan (08-23-2013),MBZags (08-23-2013),PuffyPig (08-23-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (08-23-2013)

No reason to focus on Votto. A guy threw a 98 MPH fastball by him. The batter could be Ted Williams and that might happen.

The Reds with their full bullpen being used wisely wins this game 4-3 and Cozart is the hero.

Bullpens are so important down the stretch . . . .

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    those are pitches that he has normally put in play. that was right down the middle... is it me or is he striking out a lot more this year?
    He's striking out less and walking more than in his MVP season in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    My god, People! Since the All Star break the Reds have won more games than both the Pirates and Cardinals! They just won 12 of 16 games.

The Reds are not going to go undefeated the rest of the season.

This is football mentality, don't worry: the bengals and buckeyes are a couple weeks away.
    Football mentality has to apply in the Reds' situation. Just watch the Cards and Pirates and see how many games they lose to bad teams from here on in. Not many.

In a tough pennant race, I've always marveled at how the top teams just seem to win every night. It's a mental toughness great teams have.

It's no longer a matter of winning usually. Playing the Brewers at home, a champion needs to win.

Whatever anyone says, August is not the same as April in baseball. This wasn't a good loss.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    He's striking out less and walking more than in his MVP season in 2010.
    But but but, did he ever strike out with 2 outs and a runner on first in the bottom of the 9th on a 98 mph fastball?

no?

he's a shell of his former self. 1 at bat is all the proof I need.

9. Likes:

PuffyPig (08-23-2013)

Post game reaction: Why is Mesoraco not pinch hitting in the eighth? That seems absurd to me with the slap hitter of all slap hitters at the plate and a nasty closer waiting in the wings. Had to play for that inning IMO.

11. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (08-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Still wondering why Simon pitched the eighth, but Dusty and Price need to sit down with Walt and figure out this bullpen.

No Brox, no Marshall, heavy use of Hoover and Chapman lately, they have to get another guy or at least come up with a plan to avoid games like tonight.

Simon isn't a late inning reliever IMO, he's a very good depth man, but doesn't have the stuff to be on the mound close and late down the stretch.

Can't be losing home games to the Brewers this time of year in a close pennant race.
    Aren't you answering your own question?

Still wondering why Simon pitched the eighth, but Dusty and Price need to sit down with Walt and figure out this bullpen.

No Brox, no Marshall, heavy use of Hoover and Chapman lately, they have to get another guy or at least come up with a plan to avoid games like tonight.

13. Likes:

Brutus (08-23-2013),PuffyPig (08-23-2013),Superdude (08-23-2013)

No Brox, no Marshall, heavy use of Hoover and Chapman lately....
    If you reread your post, you actually answered your own question.

No one questioned why Ondrusek pitched the 7th because he pitched a scoreless inning.

With any luck Ondrusek isn't even on the team.

It's all about the results.

FCB could pitch the 9th inning the 7th game of the world series and no one would question it if he got 3 outs.

Simon was the correct choice based on all the factors, He stuck tonight, occasionally he will.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    LOL!

This post reminds me of the depressed robot from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I was definitely surprised Votto struck out. I was not expecting a home run or anything but I am surprised he didn't put it in play.
    and the answer - is always 42
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    But you did get personal. I'll gladly forward your private messages if you want to go down that route. If you're ashamed of what you are saying by private message, then you just shouldn't say it. Don't send people harassing messages and then complain when you're called on it.

I've got nothing to hide. My thoughts are out in the open. I'm not going to hide behind PM.
    Fair point. I'll just say this. Back when I first joined RZ (or actually when I first transferred to ORG) I got into this exact situation with OBM in fact. I did exactly what you're doing. Stating your case by repeating what was said in a PM. I didn't know that was frowned upon. I felt like I was being attacked and had a right to defend myself. The result of that episode was ME being banned because of posting PM info in public. It's a big no-no here from my experience so I've looked at it like that sign that Pete Rose apparently ignored in every clubhouse. Don't be surprised if the hammer comes down...hard.

Just to be clear Brutus, I enjoy your posts. I really do. I value your opinion. I think your a fantastic poster. But in this case...I think you've picked the wrong thread to pick nits. Its not your average thread. I'll admit there are many times when the game thread becomes unbearable...but for me that's just due to the negativity or the arguments between posters or the thread cops telling people how to or how not to post. I know I'm doing some of that right now, but it just really struck a chord with me on how similar this situation was from what I had a few years back. Anyway...I hope cooler heads prevail. Unlike our Redlegs tonight.

Football mentality has to apply in the Reds' situation. Just watch the Cards and Pirates and see how many games they lose to bad teams from here on in.

In a tough pennant race, I've always marveled at how the top teams just seem to win every night. It's a mental toughness great teams have.

It's no longer a matter of winning usually. Playing the Brewers at home, a champion needs to win.

Whatever anyone says, August is not the same as April in baseball. This wasn't a good loss.
    The Pirates just got swept by the Rockies and lost a game against the San Diego Padres.

The Cardinals just lost 2 of 3 against the Cubs 2 weeks ago and lost a game to the Brewers a couple days ago.

no losses are good. Expecting the Reds to win every game here on out is an exercise in futility. watch the game however you wish though, I will be over here in reality.

18. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (08-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    If you reread your post, you actually answered your own question.

No one questioned why Ondrusek pitched the 7th because he pitched a scoreless inning.

With any luck Ondrusek isn't even on the team.

It's all about the results.

FCB could pitch the 9th inning the 7th game of the world series and no one would question it if he got 3 outs.

Simon was the correct choice based on all the factors, He stuck tonight, occasionally he will.
    Well, Hoover rested yesterday. Hoover has been pitching the eighth most nights lately. On the telecast the Reds announcers said Dusty had indicated Hoover tonight.

Now, Hoover has pitched much lately and hasn't been as perfect as previously. But he's used to the eighth and has mostly been effective.

So I question Simon over Hoover. Generally though, the Reds do need another late inning arm. Simon ain't it.

Football mentality has to apply in the Reds' situation. Just watch the Cards and Pirates and see how many games they lose to bad teams from here on in. Not many.

The pirates recently got swept by Colorado. The Cards recently lost 2 of 3 in Chicago to the Cubs.

It's like some of you are watching baseball for the first time.

21. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (08-23-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    So basically the people that want to have rational, civilized conversations about baseball are out of luck and the people that just want to vent their emotions get to ruin it for everyone else?

I don't particularly view that as a good compromise.
    Not all emotions are created equal.

"woohoo! HR to tie the ballgame!!!" That's emotion.
    "COME ON BLUE! Get the calls right!!!" That's emotion.
    "Fire Dusty!! He's pointless and ignorant!!!" That's emotion.

I'd say the last one is the only one that would cause anybody any grief. And just to be clear...we (and a few others) did indeed have a rational conversation during THIS game thread. Of course it was about having conversations and emotional responses...but it was still a rational conversation. Both can be done at the same time...and it happens rather frequently IMO. But if you want to kick emotional responses to the curb during a game thread...I vote no. Positive and negative venting of emotions have their place here IMO.

23. Likes:

Larkin Fan (08-23-2013),New York Red (08-23-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-23-2013),Red Raindog (08-23-2013)

Turn Off Ads?