Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 9/15/13 - Reds @ Milwaukee

They call me "chef"

Re: 9/15/13 - Reds @ Milwaukee

Well, it looks like we'll have to accept this auto-pilot version of a decent Reds team. Sadly, their 10-12 game winning streak ain't coming this season.

Anything can happen in the postseason though. They should be in there and they have the potential to be excellent. We just aren't going to get our "magical" run this year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    So how many series in a row have we lost to sub-.500 teams now? 5? 6? I've lost track.
    Well now that it seems we've reversed our polarity and are beating the "good" teams while losing to the bad ones, perhaps that bodes well for the playoffs -- if we make it past the one-game play-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    This one man knows that acquiring a 36 year old/probably back on PEDs in a career year Marlon Byrd and a washed up Justin Morneau isn't 'all in'. If somebody wants to say they were solid moves, that's one thing. But 'all in' is getting Cliff Lee or Giancarlo Stanton.
    Who said they were all in moves? Byrd has been a pretty big upgrade over Travis Snider and Jose Tabata and avoided a huge hole while Marte was out with an injury. I think he's made a difference and the Pirates would have won a couple less games over the last month or so without him.

Not every move has to be a blockbuster, but getting what is needed versus sitting back and watching seems like a better plan.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    It has been happening a lot.

I only think that watching the Reds from June on in 1990.......was more painful to watch...a team play out a season that you knew they would probably still make the playoffs but wondering how they were going to accomplish anything once they got there.

This is painful to watch even when they are going to make the playoffs......all for just 1 game.

I think Dusty is tired and I think the guy has been told to take it easy with his health.
    It seems the Rest of the Team has that attitude as well.
    Interesting point about Dusty. I like him as a person and as a manager, but something is missing with these guys. Its probably time for a change.

Huge difference with the 90 team- they were coasting on the lead. And they won 6 out of 7 down the stretch. Also, i underestimated the 90s team at the beginning of the year. Maybe I overestimated the current guys.

With this club, "painful" is a good word.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 09-15-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by armybrat45103 View Post
    Bad game to lose but it was a good loss. When we lose games due to stupidity, that is where I get irritated. Those are bad losses.
    Choo charging at Bruce when he had the ball in his sights and caused the ball to fall off the side of Bruce' Glove and resulted directly in 3 runs. That was most assuredly losing a game to stupidity. It was the key play of the game and was entirely a mental error in the OF and not a physical one.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Have the boys really lost 3 straight series in Milwaukee? To the 18 games under .500 Brew Cru? Without Braun? That is inexcusable.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Choo charging at Bruce when he had the ball in his sights and caused the ball to fall off the side of Bruce' Glove and resulted directly in 3 runs. That was most assuredly losing a game to stupidity. It was the key play of the game and was entirely a mental error in the OF and not a physical one.
    While I agree that's why Bruce alligator arm'd it.....I've watched that replay over and over and Bruce just has to catch that ball. Choo charged hard until the last couple steps and then peeled off. That was a huge play and both have to charge that ball hard and Bruce has to infatically call him off. Bruce nearly atoned but Gomez communicated with the wall better than Bruce and Choo communicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    This one man knows that acquiring a 36 year old/probably back on PEDs in a career year Marlon Byrd and a washed up Justin Morneau isn't 'all in'. If somebody wants to say they were solid moves, that's one thing. But 'all in' is getting Cliff Lee or Giancarlo Stanton.
    2013 Marlon Byrd would have been the second best bat on the roster.

10. Likes:

powersackers (09-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    While I agree that's why Bruce alligator arm'd it.....I've watched that replay over and over and Bruce just has to catch that ball. Choo charged hard until the last couple steps and then peeled off. That was a huge play and both have to charge that ball hard and Bruce has to infatically call him off. Bruce nearly atoned but Gomez communicated with the wall better than Bruce and Choo communicated.
    Yes, I agree Bruce should have made the catch.
    But how can you do that "emphatically" if you don't know ("I got it") until the last step or 2?
    It's not like a can of corn hit exactly between 2 outfielders.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    Yes, I agree Bruce should have made the catch.
    But how can you do that "emphatically" if you don't know ("I got it") until the last step or 2?
    It's not like a can of corn hit exactly between 2 outfielders.
    1st and foremost....lol at me going all brain fart with my made up word.

As for the play....outfielders have certain rules they go by and you have to yell it to be heard and then there is the trust that must be had. Choo veered as if he heard him last second but Bruce didn't go through the catch knowing that he heard it and trusted him. Choo doesn't have the reputation that he is a dangerous OF (Freel, Puig etc)....Bruce had the better chance and must make it more known it's his and trust Choo to do his job.

****This all assuming Choo didn't just ignore a perfectly audible call by Bruce.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

This is the first chase they've been in.

By this time last season and in 2010, they may have not clinched, but it was all but certain.

Now? Pressure. They've failed with pressure in the playoffs, now it's on in the regular season

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    And lack of communication is exactly the type of mental error I'm talking about. Choo should have veered off sooner. Bruce had it tracked all the way and started to veer off himself when he "felt" Choo bearing down on him, which caused the "alligator arm" attempt.

Choo is looking at the ball, so he may not have known Bruce was tracking it, but that is where the communication comes in. Whether it's Bruce' fault or whether its Choo's fault, it's another case where the Reds didn't get beat by a better team, they beat themselves with a poor mental play, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Well they just swept the Dodgers and took 3 of 4 from the Cards. Just because Bronson and the bullpen couldn't throw strikes in the 7th and 8th doesn't mean this team lacks energy or urgency.
    Playing them in the regular season and playing them under the bright lights of the playoffs is two different things. If we are lucky enough to even get there.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Have the boys really lost 3 straight series in Milwaukee? To the 18 games under .500 Brew Cru? Without Braun? That is inexcusable.
    There is almost always a team of scrubs like the Brewers that gives a contender fits. Look at the way they've won games that led to those series wins. Two home run robs by Gomez, Lucroy walk off against Chapman, Peralta spinning a shutout. Then yesterday, a team great at not walking people walks people and gets burnt. Its just a flukey thing.

I'd still rather be a fan of the Reds org. than the Brewers org.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    There is almost always a team of scrubs like the Brewers that gives a contender fits. Look at the way they've won games that led to those series wins. Two home run robs by Gomez, Lucroy walk off against Chapman, Peralta spinning a shutout. Then yesterday, a team great at not walking people walks people and gets burnt. Its just a flukey thing.

I'd still rather be a fan of the Reds org. than the Brewers org.
    In the lost decade, the Reds played that role of spoiler pretty well... a team has nothing to lose with individuals playing for stats, bonuses, free agency, or a chance of staying in the bigs.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Turn Off Ads?