Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Votto for $20 million or Encarnacion for half that?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Votto for $20 million or Encarnacion for half that?

Looking back, I was wondering who I would rather have if I knew how things ended up turning out, Votto or Edwin for half the price. Edwin would have had to of played 1st base of course, so that would mean Votto would have no place in the field. An extra $10 million goes a long way towards keeping a strong payroll.

Senor Votto

Re: Votto for $20 million or Encarnacion for half that?

Votto by far.

3. Likes:

Big Klu (09-19-2013),CarolinaRedleg (09-19-2013),Cursh14 (09-20-2013)

They call me "chef"

Encarnacion by a landslide.

Every time Votto doesn't get a hit, I can dream about a magical Edwin Encarnacion who would have hit one of his 40 home runs in that at bat. It's hard to fantasize about magical Votto when real Votto is there being human.

5. Likes:

Raisor (09-20-2013),Tom Servo (09-19-2013),Wonderful Monds (09-19-2013)

For a Level Playing Field

Time warp? Joey Votto does not make $20 million until 2016. This year he makes $17 million, next year he makes $12 million and in 2015 he makes $14 million.

Probably not safe to assume Edwin hits the same if still here. It has been said "change is good" and that might be true with Edwin. And good for him.

Joey's career OPS+ is higher than Edwin's highest OPS+ in a single season.

7. Likes:

Always Red (09-19-2013),Big Klu (09-19-2013),Larkin Fan (09-19-2013),Raisor (09-20-2013)

Votto and it isn't even close. Who do the Reds get for $10 million that makes up the difference? Encarnacion is a good power hitter. Votto is an excellent all around player.

9. Likes:

Big Klu (09-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Votto and it isn't even close. Who do the Reds get for $10 million that makes up the difference? Encarnacion is a good power hitter. Votto is an excellent all around player.
    Edwin is getting paid $10 mil a year in Toronto. Votto will be bringing in an average of 20 after next year. Votto is better, but is he THAT much better?

Quote Originally Posted by armybrat45103 View Post
    Votto is better, but is he THAT much better?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

12. Likes:

Big Klu (09-19-2013),reds1869 (09-19-2013)

While this thread question is a bit silly.....excellent all-around player that is bad on the bases and average at best on defense.

14. Likes:

Falcon7 (09-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    While this thread question is a bit silly.....excellent all-around player that is bad on the bases and average at best on defense.
    Wait..which player are you talking about?

Joey has been "excellent" on defense and on the bases? What season have folks been watching?

17. Likes:

Krawhitham (09-20-2013)

I agree Votto, and it's not close, but is Votto an excellent all around player?

He is average on defense and running the bases. Excellent hitter, but I do not know if I would call him an "excellent all around player." It is the same as Miguel Cabrera, he is an excellent hitter, but certainly not an "excellent all around player."

Can a first basemen be an "excellent all around player?" If he were an "excellent all around player" wouldn't he play at a more important defensive position such as SS, CF, or catcher?

Just my 2 cents

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Bryce Harper wants to know if this is a clown question, bro?
    sorry we're boring

20. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (09-19-2013),cumberlandreds (09-20-2013),Cursh14 (09-20-2013),dubc47834 (09-20-2013),Old school 1983 (09-19-2013),RedEye (09-19-2013)

Maybe it's just me, but something seems a little fishy in Toronto.

Jose Bautista was a middling utility man and then goes to Toronto and becomes a 50+ home run monster. Encarnacion was a decent but completely replaceable player who the Blue Jays actually DFA'd at one point after the trade, then suddenly he becomes a 40+ home run monster.

Either they've got one hell of a hitting coach or there is something else helping out.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

22. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (09-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post

Jose Bautista was a middling utility man and then goes to Toronto and becomes a 50+ home run monster. Encarnacion was a decent but completely replaceable player who the Blue Jays actually DFA'd at one point after the trade, then suddenly he becomes a 40+ home run monster.

Either they've got one hell of a hitting coach or there is something else helping out.
    Theres PED's in Canadian water...... It's called maple syrup!!!

24. Likes:

PuffyPig (09-19-2013),RedEye (09-19-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post

They've had multiple hitting coaches. Actually, the hitting coach who was coaching when Edwin and Bautista broke out was actually demoted to 1B coach this year so Chad freaking Motolla could be hitting coach.

Turn Off Ads?