Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: 9/21/13 - Reds @ Pirates - Choo/Frazier out, Robinson/Hannahan in

Re: 9/21/13 - Reds @ Pirates - Choo/Frazier out, Robinson/Hannahan in

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Bring Billy on as your silver bullet if he is the tying or winning run only.

Some of the other guys are gonna have to do some legwork when down 2+, it's math.

When you make the comment "no one but Billy could have scored there" it doesn't matter if he is the first of 2 runs needed to tie.
    He could of stole 2nd and avoided the double play, and gave us an extra at-bat.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Why would you take any risk of a steal there? To get the non-tying runner in scoring position?

If he gets thrown out you lose the chance to tie on a homer.

I guess it is arguable, whatever.

In today's game, that is true. But if you put him on first for Ludwick today, I assume you want to do that every time (put him on first for the first guy on) Which in the long haul will cost you.

The non-use of Billy stings today after the ground ball, but it was a sound non-move.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    In today's game, that is true. But if you put him on first for Ludwick today, I assume you want to do that every time (put him on first for the first guy on) Which in the long haul will cost you.
    Not everytime, just in the 9th when we are within striking distance and to avoid the double play.

To answer the post before yours' I don't see any risk. He has been perfect this month stealing bases and it's not been close. Also the batter will see 1 if not 2 fastballs in a row...not to mention the pitcher will be trying to "hurry" his stretch to the plate...
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Dead Cat bounce.
    It was nice and dead for the Cards.

Not everytime, just in the 9th when we are within striking distance and to avoid the double play.

To answer the post before yours' I don't see any risk. He has been perfect this month stealing bases and it's not been close. Also the batter will see 1 if not 2 fastballs in a row...not to mention the pitcher will be trying to "hurry" his stretch to the plate...
    So in the ninth, down by 2, Billy always (or usually) goes in for the first guy on (first)? Sorry, can't get on board with that.

To me the Reds are very lucky to be 1-1 after these two games. Honestly, they probably should be 0-2.

They have simply been outplayed so far. Hopefully that changes tomorrow. I was really looking for either Bailey or Latos to give a classic dominate performance. I have been pretty disappointed in both of their performances.

How they pitched does put a thought into the back of my head about Cueto starting that wildcard game if he can get his pitch count up. I just have more faith in Cueto as a big game pitcher right now.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    To me the Reds are very lucky to be 1-1 after these two games. Honestly, they probably should be 0-2.

They have simply been outplayed so far. Hopefully that changes tomorrow. I was really looking for either Bailey or Latos to give a classic dominate performance. I have been pretty disappointed in both of their performances.

How they pitched does put a thought into the back of my head about Cueto starting that wildcard game if he can get his pitch count up. I just have more faith in Cueto as a big game pitcher right now.
    Pirates error cost them last night, timing be damned, it happened.
    The opposite happened tonight.

So far pretty square. D cost Homer tonight.

11. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-22-2013)

Tough loss but they didn't play very well either.

I wish after Votto's error Hanigan would've visited Homer to keep things in perspective....next pitch, tie game. Joey lost focus and Homer matched it.

I know that Dusty is Dusty and DRob and the bottom bench guys are gonna get at bats.....but I just don't believe DRob is going to be any kind of asset in the playoffs and you lose a big game and your lightning bolt never sniffs the field. Quit finding reasons not to play him and find a reason to play him. For 3 seasons we watched Drew Stubbs swing not match up well with anyone....but we needed his speed in CF...

Oh well...go get me tomorrow.

Votto's WAR this series is 0.0

Just back from PNC. They put on a good concert and fireworks display ("Skyblast") on Saturdays. My first visit there. Definitely a nice place to watch baseball. Not many other Reds fans in the lower level where we were.

Bummer of a game. Can't win 'em all and all that. JV can't be perfectly error-free at 1B and tonight that just cost us more than most might. No different really from what victimised the Bucs last night. Likewise at the plate where both JV and JB hit into DPs at crucial times to end threats. All gonna happen at times.

My disappointment sitting there watching wasn't about the pitching either. Homer pitched well. Not his best but certainly not terribly. Likewise the pen with the exception of Duke, who I'm not sure I want to see in whatever post-season game(s) we play.

From before first pitch (Burnett was dealing after giving up the early two) until Grilli came out to a standing O and summarily ended the game, my concern was about the night's roster. I'm sure it was much discussed on the thread tonight; too late for me to read 'em all.

Choo: out with a thumb issue that I sure hope isn't serious enough to impact more than another game or two. Nothing could be done about that.

But, Robinson in CF instead of Billy? I don't see it. He looked positively overmatched by Burnett and never got on base.

Hanny at 3rd instead of Frazier? Didn't get that either. As much as Todd cooled this year after a good start, I'd have trusted his bat more and, of course, Hanny was another ofer and one of the 4 or so in tonight's lineup treading water around .200. Tood came out on deck at one point but, when the 2nd out was made in front of him, Dusty pulled him in favor of HRod for his 6th ML AB. Wasn't sure how hard we were trying to win with that move. His AB and quick K was the biggest mismatch of the night.

Hanigan catching instead of Meso? Long game last night I guess? Devin did a great job with his stellar AB. Maybe he was tired? Not sure but the team could have used his bat too.

I'll be perfectly happy if we win tomorrow and take the series. We'll be there for that one too before heading back to Washington. Just felt like today's game was predictable to some extent and a bit confounding. I'd have like the fireworks and Neon Trees much better had we won.
    Last edited by 1940757690; 09-22-2013 at 12:12 AM.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

A few final thoughts. Read maybe 1/3 of the posts. Couldn't help myself. But, since we were there with some good sight lines just behind Joey:

- The consensus upthread on Duke is right. He struggled mightily in DC. He's struggling mightily for us. Conclusion: he's not a very good pitcher and you can't trust him. Whether the one poster who opined he wouldn't pitch in tight situation again is right is a totally different question i wouldn't be as sure about.

- Defense and 4 clear holes in the lineup. Simple really. Why we lost.

- I agree about using Billy when he's the tying or winning run but also just cringe when the energy level seems near comatose and he stays on the bench. Think he's starting tomorrow. I hope to see him, Meso and Frazier back in to support Bronson.

- Whoever upthread wrote 'we played with one hand behind our backs' gets a "+1" from me. That works to aptly describe the bat anemia and ham-fisted D.

REally hope we win tomorrow. I'll be pretty disappointed after making a weekend here if we don't see a REds win for our trouble.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Hanigan catching instead of Meso? Long game last night I guess? Devin did a great job with his stellar AB. Maybe he was tired? Not sure but the team could have used his bat too.
    Hanigan (unless he's injured) catches Bailey.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

17. Likes:

Larkin Fan (09-22-2013)

Turn Off Ads?