Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637

Thread: 9/22/13 Reds @ Pirates

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: 9/22/13 Reds @ Pirates

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    You know - I kinda like the Pirates team...but I am quickly coming to despise their fanbase...very snarky unfriendly bunch on message boards, too
    They're probably Steelers fans, which explains everything

2. Likes:

remdog (09-22-2013),villain612 (09-23-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...recap&c_id=cin

I heard the booing. Is Dusty referring to something else though?
    It was mentioned during last night's game that there were several heated exchanges between Reds players/coaches and Pirates fans sitting near the Reds dugout. I'm guessing that's the hostility Dusty is referring to.

Can't speak to the Reds' coaches/Pirates fans exchanges today since we were along the 3B line.

But, as disappointing as yesterday was for a first visit to PNC Park, today was as much--more really--fun for the 2nd game and series finale.

Hamilton: electric as always and so much fun to watch. Not just him but how visibly rattled the Pirates' relievers were when he was on the bases. So far, hard to say the kid can't hit or get on since he's done virtually nothing but that with the few opportunities to hit he has gotten. He almost got his first (I think?) steal of 3rd but a ball was fouled off after he'd taken off.

The offense: 11 runs. Wow! And, they scored more after the first two inning outburst. Frazier, JV, Jay and, suprise-of-surprises, even Heisey.

As boring as a blowout can be, it's just utterly delightful when it's your team doing the damage. Like yesterday, the Reds fans were really few and far between at PNC. The two of us were the only ones in our entire section and I saw one Reds cap in the section to our left. But, by the 9th as the Bucs fans had largely fled, you could look around the park and see the red-clad fans moving forward and lower enthusiastically.

Even the weather was great in contrast to yesterday's cold and rain. Sunny and generally warm. Perfect for a real behind-whupping!

We had opportunity to meet some of Chris Heisey's family; great people and visibly just elated at the day he had. Then, on our way out taking a walk around PNC to see the huge statues of Clemente, Honus Wagner, Stargell and Mazeroski at the gates, we ran into Mesoraco's uncle, who kindly offered us beers from a cooler as we chatted. I told him I really didn't like that Hanigan got the two starts over his nephew. As the number now show that didn't serve us well. His theory, a familiar one, was simply that Dusty prefers the veterans.

We need more Mesoraco, Hamilton, Frazier and Ludwick in the lineups for the rest of the way if we're going to have any chance at the division and surely to be confident about hosting a playoff. Less Robinson, Soto, Duke, HRod and Hanigan.

Just a great, great day that put the endcap on a thoroughly enjoyable trip. The players (we caught Joey, Bronson and Cueto as they headed into the buses for the trip home) all looked genuinely happy and energized. They'll need to keep that easy and loose mindset to roll the Mets and at least one-up last year by setting an "LCS-or-Bust" type goal for 2014.
    Last edited by 1940757690; 09-22-2013 at 09:51 PM.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-23-2013),REDREAD (09-23-2013),Roy Tucker (09-22-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (09-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    They're probably Steelers fans, which explains everything
    For whatever it's worth, we had no problem with them despite being entirely surrounded last night and today at PNC. By and large, they were friendly and hospitable to us even as I occasionally came to my feet applauding enthusiastically when they were all quiet and seated around me. It's a fanbase that hasn't known winning in such a long time; probably okay to cut 'em a bit of slack.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Just got done making apple sauce with apples from our yard....

Oh and Reds Win!

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    There's not even a QUESTION around here. If you ask anyone following the Pirates (I hesitate to use the word "fan"), they will tell you the Reds are the dirtiest team in baseball. Because, you know, why would the Pirates' fanbase pay any attention to a team not playing the Buccos? Surely no other pitcher is hitting a batter anywhere else in MLB.

My favorite read on Steelers fans, salty language:

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-su...ers-1065343296
    Wow! VP, that was a good read. Had me laughing so hard it was hard not to spill my wine! I was in a bar/restaurant in Cleveland during the Steelers/Bengals game on Monday, last week and it was filled with Steeler fans and I asked a waitress why she lived in Cleveland but was a Steeler fan(not that the Browns are anything to root about) and she gave me almost all of the reasons that were listed in that article! Of course, her biggest reason was that she was born in 1964 and couldn't believe that the Browns used to beat them like junkyard dogs just for fun. I told her to look it up. I was in a couple of days ago and she said that she couldn't believe it, the website must have 'mis-published' the info.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    There's not even a QUESTION around here. If you ask anyone following the Pirates (I hesitate to use the word "fan"), they will tell you the Reds are the dirtiest team in baseball. Because, you know, why would the Pirates' fanbase pay any attention to a team not playing the Buccos? Surely no other pitcher is hitting a batter anywhere else in MLB.

My favorite read on Steelers fans, salty language:

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-su...ers-1065343296
    Unbelievable except I've heard all of that ten times over by in in-laws. Luck lily I couldn't care less what NFL team does, but they have the same attitude toward all their teams. Win all or else. Sad.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    It was mentioned during last night's game that there were several heated exchanges between Reds players/coaches and Pirates fans sitting near the Reds dugout. I'm guessing that's the hostility Dusty is referring to.
    Let's go back several years ago. My friend, his wife and my wife got tickets, had a free place to stay and headed to the Burgh to see the Reds play the Pirates. We all wore Reds gear. My wife got a beer dumped on her when she stood up and applauded a Reds homerun and we were constantly told to shut up and go home.

Fast forward to 1990 during the NLCS. Two guys in Steeler shirts confronted me in a restroom about my Reds cap. Luckily, a cop walks in and breaks it up.

I don't go there anymore. When my son was at WVU, he attended some games, but they were so pitiful, he paid $8 to get in and the place was deserted. They only like winners.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Just got done making apple sauce with apples from our yard....

Oh and Reds Win!

This gif cannot go away soon enough. *shudders*

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/pi...kFjQTQ.twitter
    Reds manager Dusty Baker would prefer not to return to PNC Park.

“It was a hostile crowd here and I’ve never seen it like this here before and I’ve been coming to Pittsburgh for a lot of years,” Baker said. “It’s a little bit different here now that they’re winning. It’s become a tough place to play.”

Turn Off Ads?