Turn Off Ads?
Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18586465666768
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1020

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion (Part 3)

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion (Part 3)

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Bengals are saying there are 10,000 tickets available, and there are still good seats available on the web site. I really doubt this game comes that close to selling out.
    How in the world, if your team makes the post-season, has their first game at home, can you not sell out?

This has been a problem with the people of Cincy (Reds, Bengals) for ages. I don't understand it at all.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    How in the world, if your team makes the post-season, has their first game at home, can you not sell out?

This has been a problem with the people of Cincy (Reds, Bengals) for ages. I don't understand it at all.
    There's still six days until the game. Perhaps we should wait to see if the tickets are still unsold when the game starts before criticizing? Not everyone that wants to go to the game can drop everything the very minute the tickets go on sale and snatch them up.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Maybe because the city has taken a wait and see approach before they get their hearts broken YET again.

If they had won a playoff game period over the last 4 years, then it probably would sell out. That, and the fact that the NFL makes playoff ticket prices, the cheapest seat to get in is $100, and fans probably figure why spend that much money to get kicked in the balls yet again

I'm still going, bought 2 in 249 for $215. Feel like a sucker, but I'll be there

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Maybe because the city has taken a wait and see approach before they get their hearts broken YET again.

If they had won a playoff game period over the last 4 years, then it probably would sell out. That, and the fact that the NFL makes playoff ticket prices, the cheapest seat to get in is $100, and fans probably figure why spend that much money to get kicked in the balls yet again

I'm still going, bought 2 in 249 for $215. Feel like a sucker, but I'll be there
    I could have posted the exact same thing--except my tickets are in 202!

The main problem is that they don't have a large season ticket base anymore.

I dropped my season tickets during the lockout, when they demanded a deposit but couldn't actually promise me that there would be football. In fairness to the Bengals, they did tell me that they would hold my seats anyway, and they did. At that point, though, I just realized that I could buy tickets to 4 or 5 regular season games off Stub Hub or elsewhere, watch the rest at home, sit in different seats around the stadium (usually better than my season tickets), and not pay full price for two exhibition games. I've done that the last few years, and it's cost half as much as season tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Andy Dalton completed 62 percent of his passes this season and threw touchdowns on nearly six percent. He's doing something right with the strategy employed by the Bengals.
    He's doing a lot right. That's not in question. But his judgement still is lacking on a few of these plays and that's what I'm concerned about

Indy has 7,000 seats still available so I don't think it's just a Cincy problem. The problem is the NFL set the cheapest seat for $85 and has a product that is arguably more enjoyable viewed on TV than in person.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-31-2013)

I dropped my season tickets during the lockout, when they demanded a deposit but couldn't actually promise me that there would be football. In fairness to the Bengals, they did tell me that they would hold my seats anyway, and they did. At that point, though, I just realized that I could buy tickets to 4 or 5 regular season games off Stub Hub or elsewhere, watch the rest at home, sit in different seats around the stadium (usually better than my season tickets), and not pay full price for two exhibition games. I've done that the last few years, and it's cost half as much as season tickets.
    The season ticket base is the main culprit. However I think a lot of it boils down to Mike Brown. There are just some fans who will not give them a dollar of their money.

Yea, but you miss out on the perks, like Bring Your Own Sack Lunch and Meet the Owner Day (juice boxes provided) in the employee cafeteria.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

11. Likes:

5TimeWSChamps (12-31-2013),Revering4Blue (12-31-2013),top6 (12-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The season ticket base is the main culprit. However I think a lot of it boils down to Mike Brown. There are just some fans who will not give them a dollar of their money.
    And it's hard to blame them. People who don't get that probably don't really understand how bad they were and for how long. They probably did lose a lot of fans permanently, and deservedly so.

And it's hard to blame them. People who don't get that probably don't really understand how bad they were and for how long. They probably did lose a lot of fans permanently, and deservedly so.
    Which I don't see what that has to do with anything, for those fans that continue to hold a grudge. Holding a grudge only hurts the grudge holder. They're the one's missing out on the enjoyment of a time of prosperity and probably were taking this stuff too seriously in the first place. The times of famine should make one thankful for the prosperous years.

They'll show them all right.
    Last edited by traderumor; 12-31-2013 at 11:44 AM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

14. Likes:

Stray (12-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Which I don't see what that has to do with anything, for those fans that continue to hold a grudge. Holding a grudge only hurts the grudge holder. They're the one's missing out on the enjoyment of a time of prosperity and probably were taking this stuff too seriously in the first place. The times of famine should make one thankful for the prosperous years.

They'll show them all right.
    I don't think it's about holding a grudge for everyone. A lot of people just lost interest after years of incompetence and downright hostility to the fans from ownership. Once you lose that emotional bond with the team, it's hard to go back to being a fan.

Obviously I agree with you; I never stopped rooting for them. In the pre-Direct Ticket days, I watched many meaningless Bengals games by myself on the worst TV in the sports bar (when I did not live in Cincinnati). All I ever wanted was for them to be competitive, so the last few years have been great.

Didn't the 1869-70 Red Stockings after winning all those consecutive games......then after losing 1 game...in EI, on the road.... start to have their attendance drop after just one loss, losing investors in the team and forcing Wright to leave for Boston?

Seems to me Cincinnati cannot tolerate anything but complete dominance by their teams....not just winning.

18. Likes:

Chip R (01-03-2014)

I don't think it's about holding a grudge for everyone. A lot of people just lost interest after years of incompetence and downright hostility to the fans from ownership. Once you lose that emotional bond with the team, it's hard to go back to being a fan.

Obviously I agree with you; I never stopped rooting for them. In the pre-Direct Ticket days, I watched many meaningless Bengals games by myself on the worst TV in the sports bar (when I did not live in Cincinnati). All I ever wanted was for them to be competitive, so the last few years have been great.
    I have never really bought into that attitude. I think Mike Brown is one of the worst owners in the league. I think he has gotten better over the past 5 years, but he did a ton of damage to the Bengals fans over the years. I just don't buy letting one person ruin the enjoyment I have from watching the Bengals.

There are several obstacles to the playoff tickets. For the season ticket holders, they hit you up for money about 5 weeks ago. Do I really want to give a billionaire my hard earned money to hold for 5 weeks collecting interest? This will be their 3rd home game in a row which is a pretty big commitment for many people. It is also easy to just watch the game from the comfort of your own home, especially when the weather is cold.

We're over 1,000 posts, so I'm going to start a new thread for continued discussion.

Turn Off Ads?