Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC football discussion thread #3

SEC football discussion thread #3

Go Dores
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

Bama has bigger problems on the horizon than Pettway's return....

Yes this is cryptic. Yes, I am leaving it at that for now.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

As the world cheers, and the universe takes note, the AP names the coach of the greatest football program in recorded history, their coach of the year.

The money quote (slightly edited to better illustrate the AP's true intent):

We do not have an award for greatest coach ever. Nor do we have an award for greatest human ever. If we did, Coach Malzahn would win both possibly sharing the latter with the baby Jesus. Possibly. In lieu of this, we simply name Coach Malzahn, the greatest within the narrow purview our limited award allows. Thank you.
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-ap-coach-year
    Last edited by jojo; 12-24-2013 at 09:34 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    As the world cheers, and the universe takes note, the AP names the coach of the greatest football program in recorded history, their coach of the year.

The money quote (slightly edited to better illustrate the AP's true intent):

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-ap-coach-year
    Totally unedited:

"That's why I'm convinced there's a reason they've spent the last two years giving insufficient nods to one of the greatest coaching jobs ever -- that of three-year Vanderbilt head coach James Franklin. Clearly they have decided that "coach of the year" honors do not suffice for Franklin, and I commend them for this. They don't want to slight this unreasonably good coaching job with praise too faint. They must know he's the Coach of the Decade and the Coach of the Young Century, and I commend them for that."

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/64654422/

Oregon just increase the compensation package for Texas. That was ugly. Go Hook em them James Franklin, you got to strike while the kettle is hot for you.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Oregon just increase the compensation package for Texas. That was ugly. Go Hook em them James Franklin, you got to strike while the kettle is hot for you.
    A bunch of folks down that way reeeeeeaaaallllly don't want Franklin.

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/show...klin-or-Strong

SEC is 5-1 in the bowl games so far. The dominance continues. The only loss was mainly because of a freakish 99 1/2 yard scoring play.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    SEC is 5-1 in the bowl games so far. The dominance continues. The only loss was mainly because of a freakish 99 1/2 yard scoring play.
    Yes, it's more of the same old, same old including the struggles of the Big Ten as is very well told here:

The Big Ten played to a draw in its Jan. 1 bowl games, which is a step up from New Year's Day Massacres past.
    Yet there's still ground to gain, and the conference can't rest on Michigan State's impressive 24-20 win against Stanford in the Rose Bowl. After all, that wasn't against a SEC team, a conference that is 5-1 in bowl games with four to play.

The three SEC vs. Big Ten bowl matchups unfolded on soggy fields across Florida — typically-seen as a Big Ten equalizer — and the SEC finished 2-1. Nebraska beat Georgia in the Gator Bowl, but South Carolina beat Wisconsin 34-24 in the Capital One Bowl and LSU knocked off Iowa 21-14 in the Outback Bowl. Not much can be gleaned considering half of these teams were starting backup quarterbacks, and Curt Phillips replaced Joel Stave late for the Badgers.

The rest is the typical mess. Minnesota and Michigan were listless in losses to Syracuse and Kansas State. Factor in the bowl losses by incoming Big Ten schools Rutgers and Maryland, and that bowl record technically drops to 2-6. No matter what Ohio State does against Clemson in the Orange Bowl on Friday, it's still an uphill battle for a conference desperate for respect.

Not that the gore isn't well-documented:

— The Big Ten is 6-15 on or after Jan. 1 the last four seasons, including a 4-9 mark against the SEC.

— The Big Ten finished with a 4-10 record in the Rose Bowl in the BCS era.

— The Big Ten is 5-21 against Top 10 nonconference teams since 2006

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...iowa-wisconsin
    Congrats to Mich St on their Rose Bowl win but Stanford was like playing another Big Ten team. Speed was not their calling card, neither was innovative play calling. I thought I was watching Bo vs Woody circa 1977.

Stanford ran 53 plays and almost half of them were handoffs to Gaffney. He had one run early for 47 yards but thereafter averaged less than 2 yds a carry. They passed 18 times and aside from 8 QB scrambles, no one else had more than one rushing attempt. It was one boring game to watch. Next year we'll have at least a semblence of a playoff so we'd likely get to see MSU in one more game against an offense like Auburn or FSU. That'd be fun to see

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I'll offer the alternative explanation that as long as Will Muschamp isn't on the opposing sideline, a Marc Richt team is lock to find a way to lose in Jacksonville.

Stanford is the same team that has routinely knocked off Oregon the last few years; few (actually no one) would claim that Oregon resembles anything from the Bo vs Woody days, so please don't be lazy and downgrade a very solid win for Michigan State.

As far as the article, saying Rutgers & Maryland's losses "techincally" count as part of the B10 bowl record is flat out wrong. Neither are currently a member of the B10, so neither game, win or loss techinically counts for anything B10 related, I doubt the B10 is getting a share of the game proceeds to divide amongst everyone. I get that it helps paint the picture of the B10's overall struggles and I don't even mind it being included (actually I think it should be included) but the wording is terrible and lazy.

I saw somewhere that the B10 is 5-3 in their last 8 BCS games, so its not like its all doom & gloom.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-02-2014),Revering4Blue (01-02-2014)

Rutgers and Maryland were not B1G teams in 2013. Counting their losses is just stupid. Neither team may have been bowl eligible had they been in the B1G this year and at the least both teams would have been in lesser bowls.

The three B1G vs. SEC bowl games were all very good games. There was no "dominance". The SEC won two of the three, which it should as it is the better conference. The gap isn't as wide as SEC fans would like to believe, but there is still definitely a gap.

What is the obsession SEC fans have with the Big 10? Seriously, they talk more about conference than they do their so-called favorite teams? As an Ohio State fan, the only other Big 10 team I really rooted for was Michigan St. because I really like Dantonio. I watched Nebraska and Wisconsin yesterday, but only because I thought they would be good games and they were.

Is it like this with fans of all SEC teams, or is it just a Redszone thing?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Stanford is the same team that has routinely knocked off Oregon the last few years; few (actually no one) would claim that Oregon resembles anything from the Bo vs Woody days, so please don't be lazy and downgrade a very solid win for Michigan State.

As far as the article, saying Rutgers & Maryland's losses "techincally" count as part of the B10 bowl record is flat out wrong. Neither are currently a member of the B10, so neither game, win or loss techinically counts for anything B10 related, I doubt the B10 is getting a share of the game proceeds to divide amongst everyone. I get that it helps paint the picture of the B10's overall struggles and I don't even mind it being included (actually I think it should be included) but the wording is terrible and lazy.

I saw somewhere that the B10 is 5-3 in their last 8 BCS games, so its not like its all doom & gloom.
    It was a very big win for MSU. Second B10 win in the Rose in over a decade.Yes, I watched the Stanford win over Oregon and they were the better team that night. There was nothing flukish about it. I do wish I could see MSU play a team like Oregon but that's the system. MSU beat the champion of a very good conference. Hope that means OSU will have some competition in the conference in the coming years cause I sure don't see anyone else on their level

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    What is the obsession SEC fans have with the Big 10? Seriously, they talk more about conference than they do their so-called favorite teams? As an Ohio State fan, the only other Big 10 team I really rooted for was Michigan St. because I really like Dantonio. I watched Nebraska and Wisconsin yesterday, but only because I thought they would be good games and they were.

Is it like this with fans of all SEC teams, or is it just a Redszone thing?
    It's an SEC thing to a point but I'm not certain if the Sporting News writer of that article has SEC roots

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Rutgers and Maryland were not B1G teams in 2013. Counting their losses is just stupid. Neither team may have been bowl eligible had they been in the B1G this year and at the least both teams would have been in lesser bowls.

The three B1G vs. SEC bowl games were all very good games. There was no "dominance". The SEC won two of the three, which it should as it is the better conference. The gap isn't as wide as SEC fans would like to believe, but there is still definitely a gap.
    The only thing to be said about Maryland and Rutgers is that the B10 clearly isn't helping its rep as a weak football conference by their addition.

18. Likes:

Roy Tucker (01-02-2014)

Turn Off Ads?