Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC football discussion thread #3

Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It was a very big win for MSU. Second B10 win in the Rose in over a decade.Yes, I watched the Stanford win over Oregon and they were the better team that night. There was nothing flukish about it. I do wish I could see MSU play a team like Oregon but that's the system. MSU beat the champion of a very good conference. Hope that means OSU will have some competition in the conference in the coming years cause I sure don't see anyone else on their level
    The ironic thing about the Rose Bowl is that in the BCS era OSU has been the predominant B1G team but have played in 1, beating Oregon. Their previous trip was against ASU during the Cooper era.

I don't buy into the touting of Bowl records. It is a nice measuring stick, but for many teams, the game just doesn't mean that much. For instance, a disappointed Alabama team lost to Utah in a BCS bowl. For teams that aren't in the title game, the extra weeks of practice and coaches bonuses are whats most important. I would argue that besides for the BCS title game, the only bowl that has held its mystique is the Rose Bowl.
    Last edited by bucksfan2; 01-02-2014 at 12:14 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The ironic thing about the Rose Bowl is that in the BCS era OSU has been the predominant B1G team but have played in 1, beating Oregon. Their previous trip was against ASU during the Cooper era.

I don't buy into the touting of Bowl records. It is a nice measuring stick, but for many teams, the game just doesn't mean that much. For instance, a disappointed Alabama team lost to Utah in a BCS bowl. For teams that aren't in the title game, the extra weeks of practice and coaches bonuses are whats most important. I would argue that besides for the BCS title game, the only bowl that has held its mystique is the Rose Bowl.
    There's a lot of validity to that. In many cases we saw teams playing w/o key players and coaches. In fact I had that post ready if the SEC laid an egg yesterday...

4. Likes:

jimbo (01-02-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    What is the obsession SEC fans have with the Big 10? Seriously, they talk more about conference than they do their so-called favorite teams? As an Ohio State fan, the only other Big 10 team I really rooted for was Michigan St. because I really like Dantonio. I watched Nebraska and Wisconsin yesterday, but only because I thought they would be good games and they were.

Is it like this with fans of all SEC teams, or is it just a Redszone thing?
    Truthfully, it's in your head.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

By my count, the Big Ten is 2-4 in bowl games this season with no chance of not finishing below .500.

The ACC has been less impressive IMHO.

Adding Maryland and Rutgers is just going to dilute the Big Ten even more in the short term.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by The Auburn Creed;

I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.

I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully.

I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men.

I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities.

I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all.

I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all.

I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

And because Auburn men and women believe in these things, I believe in Auburn and love it.

The only thing to be said about Maryland and Rutgers is that the B10 clearly isn't helping its rep as a weak football conference by their addition.
    Yes but we know they aren't being added to the conference for their football prowess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yes but we know they aren't being added to the conference for their football prowess.
    Then that's a difference between the SEC and B10. Missouri and Tex AM were added in part with football in mind

For a Level Playing Field

Then that's a difference between the SEC and B10. Missouri and Tex AM were added in part with football in mind
    Pretty obvious football trumps all in the SEC. Probably the reason Alabama (#3) and Auburn (#4) rank in the top-5 college programs for the most NCAA seasons on probation. That is when THEY GET CAUGHT (right, Cam?). As a matter of fact 6 SEC teams rank in the top-20 for total seasons on probation.

11. Likes:

jimbo (01-02-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Pretty obvious football trumps all in the SEC. Probably the reason Alabama (#3) and Auburn (#4) rank in the top-5 college programs for the most NCAA seasons on probation. That is when THEY GET CAUGHT (right, Cam?). As a matter of fact 6 SEC teams rank in the top-20 for total seasons on probation.
    I see the rest of this conversation going really well.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-02-2014)

And yet 3 Big 10 teams are in the top 7... So...
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-02-2014),jojo (01-02-2014)

When was the last time Auburn's football program was on probation?

At some point you need to actually discuss facts.

After you answer the question, here's a few to add to you new list of facts:

Ohio State is ranked 5th all time in the number of wins they've had to vacate for rules violations. Auburn has never had a game vacated.

The Big 10 is responsible for 64% of all games that have been vacated.

Oh and here's an interesting one....OSU is currently on probation.
    Last edited by jojo; 01-02-2014 at 04:52 PM.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I see the rest of this conversation going really well.
    As they say, "The truth hurts."

18. Likes:

jimbo (01-02-2014)

As they say, "The truth hurts."
    SEC programs on probation for 2013: 2 (SC and Tennessee)

Big 10 programs on probation for 2013: 3 (Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State)
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    And yet 3 Big 10 teams are in the top 7... So...
    And OSU once again proves it's a top twenty program....

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    When was the last time Auburn's football program was on probation?

At some point you need to actually discuss facts.

After you answer the question, here's a few to add to you new list of facts:

Ohio State is ranked 5th all time in the number of wins they've had to vacate for rules violations. Auburn has never had a game vacated.

The Big 10 is responsible for 64% of all games that have been vacated.

Oh and here's an interesting one....OSU is currently on probation.
    Not to say your point doesn't have merit, but what does those stats look like if you remove the 112 vacated games the NCAA hit Penn St with? That seems like a little different circumstance to your run of the mill "if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'" sanctions.

22. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (01-02-2014),Roy Tucker (01-02-2014)

Turn Off Ads?