Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC football discussion thread #3

Re: SEC football discussion thread #3

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    against a team they would likely beat on most days.
    Conjecture is such a weak form of argument.

Alabama's resume is weak this year. I don't really care about "more talented than any team they face" because it's just more conjecture. I guess they had better rated recruiting classes or something? When they start giving out wins based on Rivals rankings I guess I'll care.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Likes:

dfs (01-03-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I think Saban will probably have to reinvent himself. Its not fair to ask your players and coaches to adapt to change and adversity yet you still march to the same drum beat. Paul Bryant at point couldn't beat anybody and had to go chat with Darryl Royal at Texas. What did he bring back with him ? The Wishbone.

It boggles my mind that McCarron doesn't think he needs to throw at the Senior Bowl.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

I have a Bama fan for a neighbor. As I was leaving this morning, I saw another neighbor in his yard, spelling something out in the snow.

"Honk if you sacked AJ McCarron"
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-03-2014),Hillsdale87 (01-03-2014),jojo (01-03-2014),OldRightHander (01-03-2014),RedFanAlways1966 (01-03-2014),Revering4Blue (01-03-2014)

http://m.thepostgame.com/commentary/...ompson-sec-bcs

"Why the SEC isn't as great in football as you think."

By Chuck Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Pretty obvious football trumps all in the SEC. Probably the reason Alabama (#3) and Auburn (#4) rank in the top-5 college programs for the most NCAA seasons on probation. That is when THEY GET CAUGHT (right, Cam?). As a matter of fact 6 SEC teams rank in the top-20 for total seasons on probation.
    If you aren't cheatin' at least a little, you ain't tryin'...

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Time to take a time out, find a QB, and make the changes needed on defense up to stopping 2014 offenses. The 1999 offenses are vanishing quickly, even in the NFL. I imagine next year Saban has packages were his DE can cover RBs, his LB can cover WRs, and he never has to leave a Safety on a slot WR again.
    Those offenses were alive and well in the Rose Bowl. I much more enjoyed last night's game. It was action packed, creative and highly entertaining

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Conjecture is such a weak form of argument.

Alabama's resume is weak this year. I don't really care about "more talented than any team they face" because it's just more conjecture. I guess they had better rated recruiting classes or something? When they start giving out wins based on Rivals rankings I guess I'll care.
    I think we need to give a lot of credit to Oklahoma. They came to play and outperformed anything they did in 2014 including their freshman QB. Kudos to them

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think we need to give a lot of credit to Oklahoma. They came to play and outperformed anything they did in 2014 including their freshman QB. Kudos to them
    Yep. I was shocked last night and I guess I have become one of these "Alabama is heads-n-tails better than all teams" types (hard to blame us). After last night's game can we say that Oklahoma is probably better than Auburn? They did not need a fluke last second play (or an OT win if not for fluke last play) to beat Bama. I'd have to give my vote to Oklahoma. But as most know that 1-loss team from the SEC will get that chance to play in the Title Game (based only on what the SEC has done in the past). I'd almost consider putting money on Michigan State against Auburn (neutral field) at this point.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Don't think that had anything to do with Auburn. Who did Alabama beat this year? Squeaked out a win vs. 4 loss A&M? A&M barely beat Duke in their bowl game. A 3 loss LSU I guess?

Sometimes things are more clear in hindsight, and it doesn't look like Alabama was all that strong this year.
    You can't say that because Alabama barely beat A&M and A&M barely beat Duke that Bama wasn't that strong....thats weak sauce man! Bama isn't really built to blow teams out and Oklahoma scoring a bunch of points was not a recipe for a Bama win.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    http://m.thepostgame.com/commentary/...ompson-sec-bcs

"Why the SEC isn't as great in football as you think."

By Chuck Thompson
    For God's sake, it's tougher to go undefeated in the Colonial Athletic Association than it is in the SEC.
    I thought about debating the author's argument point by point but decided the audience that took the article seriously isn't large enough to justify the number of words a rebuttal might require and really, when discussing bias, theirs would be a stumbling block if it is at all consistent with notions such as this:

As though empirical evidence is akin to fossil records and climate change data, it's as if no one in the evangelical South is capable of copping to the evidence at hand.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

15. Likes:

Sea Ray (01-04-2014)

When they start giving out wins based on Rivals rankings I guess I'll care.
    And when they do Brady Hoke will have camped-out overnight to be first in line!

17. Likes:

jojo (01-03-2014),Revering4Blue (01-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    You can't say that because Alabama barely beat A&M and A&M barely beat Duke that Bama wasn't that strong....thats weak sauce man! Bama isn't really built to blow teams out and Oklahoma scoring a bunch of points was not a recipe for a Bama win.
    By the end of the first quarter, I was giddy because it was pretty clear Bama was a little too worried about how this game would erase doubts they were the best and not worried enough about the notion that they still have to work hard to win. The first interception by A.J. was music to my eyes to quote a Bama friend's mixed metaphor. You don't make that throw if you feel like youre playing a true threat. I haven't seen A.J. actually make such a dumb throw really in several seasons. Okie had a great gameplan and they executed. Bama kind of relied on their favorable matchups against Okie but didn't execute. Bama made some effective adjustments on defense at the half but Okie executed better. It was game on but Okie wanted it more. Then Bama got down and Okie could pressure A.J. without selling the house and you could almost hear the 85%ers say "roh, roh". Well actually the 15%ers said "roh, roh". The 85%ers still think Bama was robbed by officials who cheated them of a victory by making up a pass interference call.

Well AJ's words were prophetic. Last night pretty much definitively settles the argument concerning whether Bama is the best in the country this year or not. Personally, I think Saban's head probably exploded after his presser. Okie couldn't tackle my grandmother and Bama still couldn't get it done.

It's not going to shock me if Saban leaves Tuscaloosa in the coming weeks. But ya, his teams are increasingly having trouble with the latest permutations of offense. His linebackers generally are superior athletically and can handle the pressure the spread type offenses present, but you can scheme mismatches, especially if you don't let Saban change personnel. Generally, Bama is built to crush the run and pressure the QB. They're secondary has been attackable this season, and it caught up with them last night as Okie's QB played at a higher level thenmost in the country thought he was capbable.

All in all a glorious day.

Really, the bowl season is finally living up to it's billing as we've been treated to two really fun games in a row between the Rose and Sugar Bowls while generally the bowls on new years day were all competitive until the end.
    Last edited by jojo; 01-03-2014 at 09:25 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-03-2014),Revering4Blue (01-03-2014)

Alabama's resume is weak this year.
    Yet Bama's resume was better than anything the Big Ten could throw out there for it's teams. MSU lost to Notre Dame then beat an OSU team that had an even less impressive resume dating, really, two seasons.

But really, do an in depth study of Bama's schedule over the last 40 years. You'll see that it always seems "miraculously" set up for a Bama run compared to their conference mates.

Few Bama fans would cop to that notion....
    Last edited by jojo; 01-03-2014 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    They lost on the road on the last play of the game to their hated rival, the SEC champions and #2 team in the country and a few weeks later they played an uninspired game against a team they would likely beat on most days.

Sometimes hindsight clouds one's vision.
    I think I'll listen to Occam on this one.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

22. Likes:

jimbo (01-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think I'll listen to Occam on this one.
    He's been dead for centuries. I'll stick to an idiom often misattributed to Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and derived from the ancient texts of the Bible-the devil is always in the details.

The living God trumps a clean shaven, dead friar and the Auburn creed mentions God.

Turn Off Ads?