Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason Thread

Saw this on facebook from Adam Schefter:

Bengals plan to match 4-yr, $12.2M offer sheet that includes $5,3M gtd that Cincinnati RFA WR Andrew Hawkins signed with Cleveland.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm very surprised to see the Bengals match on Hawkins.
    He strikes me as something that you buy at Brookstone.
    Looks cool at the store, overly expensive. Won't be used when you get home.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

4. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (03-12-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Its apparent that the Bengals see something in Hawkins that most fans don't. Nice player, adds a little something to the offense, but hardly a player to retain at high costs. Same can be said about Tate, although last season he didn't make as many boneheaded decision as he has in the past.

NFL Free Agency is something that is played up by ESPN and the other networks. The successful teams win the draft, resigning their key players, and don't spend lavishly on other teams castaways.

6. Likes:

5TimeWSChamps (03-13-2014),Stray (03-12-2014),wolfboy (03-13-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I'm surprised too but it really isn't that much money. I think their decision to match is based on two things:

1) Rewarding their own. This is a common theme with MB. He knows how hard this smurf worked to attain a career in the NFL and he did it with the Bengals

2) It's the Browns. I don't think he wants to let the Browns pick him off our roster...but can we send them a note saying "we're flattered"...?

8. Likes:

Hoosier Red (03-12-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Its apparent that the Bengals see something in Hawkins that most fans don't. Nice player, adds a little something to the offense, but hardly a player to retain at high costs. Same can be said about Tate, although last season he didn't make as many boneheaded decision as he has in the past.

NFL Free Agency is something that is played up by ESPN and the other networks. The successful teams win the draft, resigning their key players, and don't spend lavishly on other teams castaways.
    I wonder what Hue's plans are for him? Seems to me that Hawkins would fill the same role that Gio Bernard does in the passing game and that we have depth that goes all the way to the PS (Cobi Hamilton) at WR but I am happy for Baby Hawk. Unlike his older brother, he's had to overcome steep odds to get this kind of dough.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm surprised too but it really isn't that much money. I think their decision to match is based on two things:

1) Rewarding their own. This is a common theme with MB. He knows how hard this smurf worked to attain a career in the NFL and he did it with the Bengals

2) It's the Browns. I don't think he wants to let the Browns pick him off our roster...but can we send them a note saying "we're flattered"...?
    Agree on both accounts. Brown's loyalty has come back to bite him more times than either of us can count, but I'm sure it's a trait the players(especially the ones on the margins of the roster) appreciate.

I'm not surprised the Browns signed him to such a big contract because it seemed like he's lit them up a couple of times.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Denver and New Orleans quickly grab the two premier safeties in FA. That's the one position I'd have forked over for big bucks in FA if I was running the Bengals.
    When's the last time the Bengals made a splash in free agency?

"So Fla Red"

The TJ Ward signing by Denver was a good one and cap friendly (4/23) and the Bengals could have used him and easily filled that contract. The Talib deal is ludicrous. Denver is obviously all in the next 1-2 years.

Bengals need to target some below the radar guys at safety, LB and OL especially if Collins leaves. Strategically filling a few gaps ahead of the draft is smart business. Getting the headliners rarely pays off. Seattle made some great FA signings last year. So it's not an either or proposition.

Biggest FA signing: The Law Firm? and Harrsion (both cap friendly deals)

Offseason work: Contract extensions to AJ, Burfict and getting Geno 100% healthy...

I think you could use Hawkins a lot more in a Sproles/Bernard kind of way, but without the handoffs. Lot of horizontal and short passes and then let him make people miss.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-12-2014)

They resigned BJGE??? Was really hoping the lawfirm era was over in Cincy.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    They resigned BJGE??? Was really hoping the lawfirm era was over in Cincy.
    I don't think they re-signed him. He's still operating under his original Bengal contract so far as I know

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    The TJ Ward signing by Denver was a good one and cap friendly (4/23) and the Bengals could have used him and easily filled that contract. The Talib deal is ludicrous. Denver is obviously all in the next 1-2 years.

Bengals need to target some below the radar guys at safety, LB and OL especially if Collins leaves. Strategically filling a few gaps ahead of the draft is smart business. Getting the headliners rarely pays off. Seattle made some great FA signings last year. So it's not an either or proposition.

Biggest FA signing: The Law Firm? and Harrsion (both cap friendly deals)

Offseason work: Contract extensions to AJ, Burfict and getting Geno 100% healthy...
    I think it's interesting to note that the Bengals will likely get compensatory draft picks for losing Johnson and Collins. If they sign a high profile free agent now, they likely lose out on a compensatory pick. I expect the Bengals to hold off on free agency until after the draft and see who comes available once teams make moves before training camp roster bonuses kick in.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Hawkins was 4th in the NFL last season among ALL NFL Receivers at 10.8 YAC.

Hawkins was tied for 8th (with Sanzenbacher) in catch percentage (75%) in the NFL last season of players with at least 75 snaps.

Hawkins was 6th in the NFL in YAC in 2012 among NFL Receivers with at least 500 snaps.

Hawkins was 13th in the NFL in catch percentage in 2012 among NFL Receivers with at least 500 snaps.

Hawkins does things as a Pass Receiver that A. J. Green can't even do.

Dalton and the Offense need Hawkins to be out there.

Hawkins is easily the 2nd best WR on the team.

Marvin Jones hasn't fumbled at all the last two seasons. Hawkins only once. Gresham five times.

Hawkins has to be accounted for when he's out there. He opens things up for A. J. Green by making an impact in the middle of the field.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

19. Likes:

Redsfaithful (03-12-2014)

Love the offseason so far.

Don't spend Monopoly Money, budget for AJ and Burfict.

Sign guys to fill out the roster with more depth. You already have one of the deepest rosters in the NFL with 20/22 starters back

Nice to see my fellow Rocket alum get a payday.

Turn Off Ads?