Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 74 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason Thread

Collins gone to TB.

Hawkins signs offer sheet from Cleveland $13.6 M, $10.6 in 1st 2 years. Please let him walk.

James Harrison just tweeted a good bye type of thank you to Bengals fans. He must be getting cut.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Hawkins signs offer sheet from Cleveland $13.6 M, $10.6 in 1st 2 years. Please let him walk.
    Why? They have plenty of room to keep Hawkins.

Edit: Nevermind. Just saw the new contract and the $5.8 hit for 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Collins gone to TB.

James Harrison just tweeted a good bye type of thank you to Bengals fans. He must be getting cut.
    Dangit, Kingspoint had just convinced me of the wisdom- ney necessity-to keeping Hawkins.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Dangit, Kingspoint had just convinced me of the wisdom- ney necessity-to keeping Hawkins.

Mike Brown miscalculated. It happens. He thought he'd let the market dictate Hawkins' value instead of working a deal himself. I'm sure some small numbers were exchanged, but not serious numbers. He's doing the same thing with Vincent Rey. Cleveland got creative with the contract and the Bengals lost a player they coveted (planned on keeping).

Mike Brown was hoping the rest of the NFL viewed Hawkins the way Bengals' fans view him....as a replaceable 4th/5th Receiver. Instead, they viewed him as what he is....on the verge of being one of the Top-Five Slot Receivers in the NFL right now, and he got paid accordingly.

Hawkins' best years are ahead of him and Cleveland's new O.C. knows exactly how to utilize his skills.

Sanu may be a good blocker and able to throw a TD pass, but he can be covered by any Linebacker as he struggles to separate. That leaves double-coverage on A. J. Green as Safeties can stay over the top of Green. It's going to be up to Eifert to pull double-coverage off of Green.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Mike Brown miscalculated. It happens. He thought he'd let the market dictate Hawkins' value instead of working a deal himself. I'm sure some small numbers were exchanged, but not serious numbers. He's doing the same thing with Vincent Rey. Cleveland got creative with the contract and the Bengals lost a player they coveted (planned on keeping).

Mike Brown was hoping the rest of the NFL viewed Hawkins the way Bengals' fans view him....as a replaceable 4th/5th Receiver. Instead, they viewed him as what he is....on the verge of being one of the Top-Five Slot Receivers in the NFL right now, and he got paid accordingly.

Hawkins' best years are ahead of him and Cleveland's new O.C. knows exactly how to utilize his skills.

Sanu may be a good blocker and able to throw a TD pass, but he can be covered by any Linebacker as he struggles to separate. That leaves double-coverage on A. J. Green as Safeties can stay over the top of Green. It's going to be up to Eifert to pull double-coverage off of Green.
    He does that with nearly everyone. Unless you're a franchise player like Atkins or Green he says "the system's set up to do the negotiating for you" and that's exactly the way he looks at it.

AJ Green is going to get paid, hopefully by the Bengals and its going to be a big number. After this season, both Marvin Jones and Sanu are up to renogiate, Jones looks like he's going to command a decent salary, I'm guessing they let Sanu play his 4th season w/o extending him. At some point, you can't put that much money into your WR core, I'm sure they'll draft a guy at WR this season, its the nature of the NFL, can't keep all of your best players, eventually guys are going to get paid if they're any good. The key is being able to scout, draft/sign and develop their replacements.

I still expect them to extend Dalton's contract this offseason and that won't be cheap since he's a starting QB. Maybe they will let him play it out & then resort to franchise tag if needed, but I expect (fear?) they will lock him up before then.

just saw this on PFT:

Bengals extend Marvin Lewis’s contract through 2015
    Posted by Michael David Smith on March 14, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis just got another year added to his contract.

The Bengals announced on Friday that Lewis has signed a one-year contract extension, which puts him under contract through the 2015 season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-through-2015/

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    AJ Green is going to get paid, hopefully by the Bengals and its going to be a big number. After this season, both Marvin Jones and Sanu are up to renogiate, Jones looks like he's going to command a decent salary, I'm guessing they let Sanu play his 4th season w/o extending him. At some point, you can't put that much money into your WR core, I'm sure they'll draft a guy at WR this season, its the nature of the NFL, can't keep all of your best players, eventually guys are going to get paid if they're any good. The key is being able to scout, draft/sign and develop their replacements.
    Bengals have a club option on Green in 2015.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

"So Fla Red"

Hawkins is in injury risk and now 28. 12 catches last season. 86 catches for 995 total over the last three years. He's more a luxury than a necessity. The WR FA market is largely dead. IMO, Hawkins is more than easily replaceable in a league with an average lifespan of 3+ years. Also expect more Gio in short pass routes this season.

Collins is a loss on the OL depth front.

Mike Brown has done a good job (gulp) on signing a lot of the top shelf and important in house players over the last few years (Geno, Dunlop, Andre Smith, Whitworth, Adam Jones, Nelson, Gilberry was a very nice one). Losing Johnson was a necessity given the ~100M investment in DL with Dunlop/Atkins.

Upgrading BJGE and getting defensive back depth are the two things I'd like to see the Bengals address this offseason.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

The Browns could make some noise next year with some halfway decent QB play. The thought of Sammy Watkins (mark it, dude) and Andrew Hawkins on the same offense as Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron is scary. Derek Carr looks to fall right into their lap, too, and he's easily got the strongest arm in the entire draft.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    . Derek Carr looks to fall right into their lap, too, and he's easily got the strongest arm in the entire draft.
    I don't see that. Bortles is stronger. Many others are stronger. Most of Carr's passes never went ten yards beyond the LOS. When they did they weren't accurate. I wouldn't use anything higher than a sixth rounder on him. Some desperate GM (see Tennessee) will waste a second rounder on him.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Upgrading BJGE and getting defensive back depth are the two things I'd like to see the Bengals address this offseason.
    They have to if they're serious about trying to win a playoff game.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I don't see that. Bortles is stronger. Many others are stronger. Most of Carr's passes never went ten yards beyond the LOS. When they did they weren't accurate. I wouldn't use anything higher than a sixth rounder on him. Some desperate GM (see Tennessee) will waste a second rounder on him.
    Well, just about every scout disagrees with you. Bortles is my favorite QB prospect, but when Carr sets his feet, he can make the ball travel 65-70 yards down the field like it's nothing. And his receivers never have to stop their stride either. Yes, his accuracy can be inconsistent at times, but I don't care about that enough to comment on it. I only brought up his name because that's who I'm seeing at #26. McCarron wouldn't surprise me either.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Turn Off Ads?