Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2014 Bengals Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Well, just about every scout disagrees with you. Bortles is my favorite QB prospect, but when Carr sets his feet, he can make the ball travel 65-70 yards down the field like it's nothing. And his receivers never have to stop their stride either. Yes, his accuracy can be inconsistent at times, but I don't care about that enough to comment on it. I only brought up his name because that's who I'm seeing at #26. McCarron wouldn't surprise me either.
    If Carr gets taken in the first round by anybody I'll buy you a pizza.

I think the scouts agree with me. The proof is that he won't get taken in the first round even though many teams are desperate for a QB in a league dominated by passing.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-16-2014 at 12:51 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bengals signed Jason Campbell to backup Dalton.
    It may not be a huge signing, but it gives them a vet QB to help mentor Dalton.

http://www.nfl.com/player/jasoncampbell/2506364/profile

Guess it's official. No match for Hawkins. He's a Brown:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...3-5d51cbb25744

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Guess it's official. No match for Hawkins. He's a Brown:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...3-5d51cbb25744
    It's too bad. Mike Brown gambled and lost. It was an unnecessary gamble as the Bengals now have more money available ($28M, third most in the league and way below the league minimum one must spend) than when Free Agency began ($20M, fifth most in the league). Sanzenbacher is amazingly efficient and I'd like to see him win the slot job over Sanu, but he's no Hawkins.

The brass ring is hanging right there, Mike. You've got to reach for it. It won't jump into your lap.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-20-2014 at 12:03 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

6. Likes:

Sea Ray (03-20-2014)

Thought this was good.
    http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...7-334ab765f7df

Inked Jason Cambell to a one year deal. Allows them to ease whatever QB they draft into the fold as 3rd QB this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

If the Bengals are serious (I couldn't take them seriously last year), they have to have a legitimate backup for Dalton in case of injury. Though Dalton gets rid of the ball quicker than any QB in the NFL combined with playing behind last year's #1 pass-blocking O-line in the NFL, it's not likely that Dalton gets injured enough to miss a game. But, he's no Roethlisberger or Rodgers. If he were to get blasted, it's likely he's coming off the field for an extended period of time. They haven't had a legitimate backup behind Dalton since he's been here, so it's nice to have Campbell around with an OC who knows his strength's and weaknesses.

Campbell has some real potential as a backup working with Hue Jackson. In 2010, the Oakland Receivers were ranked 72 (Ford), 81 (Murphy), and 82 (Heyward-Bey) out of 89 qualified Receivers who played at least 25% of the teams' Offensive snaps. The ranking is based on ProFootballFocus' WR ranking, which is the QB rating Quarterbacks have while throwing to them. Despite having such poor Receivers, Campbell was able to pull of a QB pressure completion percentage of 67.7%, 4th best in the NFL of QB's who played at least 50% of the teams' snaps. Dalton has never been able to do that. Campbell won't be as good as Dalton, no doubt, but he has done things that Dalton hasn't. 2010 was a long time ago, also, but working with Jackson, it's not unreasonable to believe he can be a competent backup here. Here's the graph:
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-20-2014 at 03:39 PM. Reason: adding a graph

9. Likes:

Mario-Rijo (03-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    If Carr gets taken in the first round by anybody I'll buy you a pizza.

I think the scouts agree with me. The proof is that he won't get taken in the first round even though many teams are desperate for a QB in a league dominated by passing.
    He has some issues and probably some that may not be fixable but I have seen far more screwed up guys taken in the 1st round, Tebow off the top of my head. I would probably lean more towards him getting taken in the 1st round.

In fact Cleveland will probably take him...
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 03-22-2014 at 09:14 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Done a 1st round mock on another board recently I wanted to tweak & then run past you guys and see what you all think.....keep in mind it's early and I haven't done all my normal research yet so it's a work in progress & your input will be much appreciated.

#1 - Texans - QB Blake Bortles
    #2 - Rams - WR Sammy Watkins
    #3 - Jags - DE Jadeveon Clowney
    #4 - Browns - OLB Khalil Mack
    #5 - Raiders - OT Greg Robinson
    #6 - Falcons - OLB Anthony Barr
    #7 - Bucs - TE Eric Ebron
    #8 - Vikings - QB Teddy Bridgewater
    #9 - Buffalo - OT Jake Matthews
    #10 - Lions - CB Justin Gilbert
    #11 - Titans - S Calvin Pryor
    #12 - N.Y.G - LB CJ Mosley
    #13 - Rams - S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
    #14 - Bears - DT Aaron Donald
    #15 - Steelers - CB Darqueze Dennard
    #16 - Dallas - DE Kony Ealy
    #17 - Ravens - OT Taylor Lewan
    #18 - N.Y.J - WR Mike Evans
    #19 - Miami - DT Tim Jernigan
    #20 - Arizona - OT Cyrus Kouandjio
    #21 - G.B. - OL Zack Martin
    #22 - Eagles - CB Bradley Roby
    #23 - Chiefs - WR Odell Beckham Jr.
    #24 - Bengals - OL Joel Bitonio
    #25 - Chargers - CB Bashaud Breeland
    #26 - Browns (From Indy) - QB Derek Carr
    #27 - Saints - DE Dee Ford
    #28 - Panthers - WR Marquise Lee
    #29 - Patriots - NT Louis Nix III
    #31 - 49ers - OLB Ryan Shazier
    #30 - Broncos - OLB Jerry Attaochu
    #32 - Seahawks - WR Kelvin Benjamin

(3 more 2nd rounders of interest here)

#34 - Redskins - WR Brandin Cooks - *Skins 1st selection
    #39 - Jags - QB Johnny Manziel - *Manziel intrigue
    #59 - Colts - OC/OG Marcus Martin - *Colts 1st selection
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 03-25-2014 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Add a thought...
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Not bad, Mario-Rijo. Thought since January that Bortles is going #1. If the Vikings are serious about preventing Adrian Peterson from getting blasted at the line of scrimmage on every play, they have to take a QB. Bridgewater probably has the "quickest" upside and would be the best fit for giving Peterson some relief. Still think Carr won't get taken in the first round (Raiders with their 2nd?...the Raiders are notorious for overpaying/overdrafting Quarterbacks).

Like you said, it's early, so nice effort and thanks for putting in the time. Looking forward to your next one. Also, there's obviously no trades there. Would you include potential trades in your last mock? Just starting my own research today. Wasn't sure if I was going to make the commitment this year, but last year was so much fun, I'm going to go for it again. There's just so much work to do around the house (reseed the back yard, paint the house, etc., etc.), but with so much rain over the next ten days, now would be a good time.

What I like most about your mock is that it's not part of the "norm". It's clearly your own opinion instead of a composite of others'.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-25-2014 at 03:20 PM.

13. Likes:

Mario-Rijo (03-26-2014)

I don't see the Bengals taking an OL in the 1st round. I see either DB or DE.

I don't see anyway Manziel makes it out of the top ten, let alone into the 2nd rd unless some new bombshell comes out about him

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Ditto.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

18. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (03-26-2014)

I agree with the sentiment, but I disagree with his conclusion.

If the Bengals extend Dalton now, when everyone outside Paul Brown Stadium has sizeable doubts about his ability to win in the postseason, he just might rise to the challenge and prove himself. But it could be way too late for a Bengals team that was ready to win big two years ago.
    I'm not sure I buy that team was ready to win big two years ago. This year was an obvious disappointment, but this was the first year that there was any sense of being the superior TEAM headed into the playoff game. That's why I take any stats about his playoff games with a grain of salt. It's not that he's been good, but rather 2 games where he was quarterbacking an underdog team and 1 game where he quarterbacked a favorite to losses don't really tell us much about his abilities going forward.

The problem with narratives built on very small samples like "Playoff ability" is that they never take into account growth of a team or a player or a coach from one year to the next.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

20. Likes:

Mario-Rijo (03-26-2014)

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Peko extended two years.

Yay.
    Witty signature.

Turn Off Ads?