Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana Basketball Continued

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: Indiana Basketball Continued

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    That's all true, but the young teams maturing along the way never happens the way we want it to. It's never a linear thing where you see steady progress from one week to the next.

Also, it's important to note that it's not just IU maturing but the other teams as well. As they say in the SEC, "There's a reason the other team gets paid too."

Here's hoping the lineup just matches better next year and we see the development in the offseason.
    I suppose so Bro. Thank God I missed the game today.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Who is the better in game coach? Mike D or Crean?
    Interesting question. Davis was at IU for 6 years as Crean has just completed his sixth as well.

Davis, went to 4 NCAA tournaments and one NIT. Reached the finals, got beat in the second round twice, lost in the first round once, and got beat in the first round of the NIT.

Crean has two NCAA tournament appearances. Both Sweet Sixteen exits. The jury is out on whether they will make the NIT this year.

As far as the B1G.....

Crean has one outright B1G regular season championship.

Davis tied for one B1G regular season championship.

Davis took the Hoosiers to their only B1G tourney championship appearance.

Davis' worst year in the B1G was a 7-9 record, the one year he didn't lead the Hoosiers into any post season play.

The year the Hoosiers played in the NIT under Davis they actually finished 4th in the conference with a 10-6 mark.

General ramblings.....

Davis inherited Bobby's boys and did well with them....actually better than Knight did. Davis recruited well outside the state but his non-conference schedule was brutal once he got a hand in making it.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Interesting question. Davis was at IU for 6 years as Crean has just completed his sixth as well.

Davis, went to 4 NCAA tournaments and one NIT. Reached the finals, got beat in the second round twice, lost in the first round once, and got beat in the first round of the NIT.

Crean has two NCAA tournament appearances. Both Sweet Sixteen exits. The jury is out on whether they will make the NIT this year.

As far as the B1G.....

Crean has one outright B1G regular season championship.

Davis tied for one B1G regular season championship.

Davis took the Hoosiers to their only B1G tourney championship appearance.

Davis' worst year in the B1G was a 7-9 record, the one year he didn't lead the Hoosiers into any post season play.

The year the Hoosiers played in the NIT under Davis they actually finished 4th in the conference with a 10-6 mark.

General ramblings.....

Davis inherited Bobby's boys and did well with them....actually better than Knight did. Davis recruited well outside the state but his non-conference schedule was brutal once he got a hand in making it.
    I think Mike D was/is a better coach but Crean runs a better program ie a better CEO.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I suppose so Bro. Thank God I missed the game today.
    At this point the only logical assumption i can make is that Crean is an idiot or he's trying to drive the program into the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I think Mike D was/is a better coach but Crean runs a better program ie a better CEO.
    I suppose one could argue that point.

At this point the only logical assumption i can make is that Crean is an idiot or he's trying to drive the program into the ground.
    It is a head scratcher to me. As I mentioned, I didn't watch the game. But my friends once again questioned Crean's substitution patterns? I don't know but I gotta believe the tail end of this season has put him squarely on the hot seat for next year.

It is a head scratcher to me. As I mentioned, I didn't watch the game. But my friends once again questioned Crean's substitution patterns? I don't know but I gotta believe the tail end of this season has put him squarely on the hot seat for next year.
    I'd agree about him being on the hot seat. With the price of his buyout coming down beginning next year, he'll definitely be under pressure to produce some real results.

I tend to try not to overly criticize substitution patterns because it's one of those things that fans never notice a good substitution, and I honestly don't know if Crean ever found 5 guys who played well together consistently.

The turnovers are something that just has to go down. And whether it's on the coach or on the players, the sheer number of unforced errors from guys who should know better(Sheehey and Yogi in particular) just astounds me.

There was a play yesterday when Yogi stared down Vonleh, had three guys surround Vonleh, then threw a weak lob pass. Andy Dalton would have been proud.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

If Vonleh goes pro IU is going to be bad again next year. They're probably only mediocre with him... he wasn't utilized nearly enough this season, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    If Vonleh goes pro IU is going to be bad again next year. They're probably only mediocre with him... he wasn't utilized nearly enough this season, IMO.
    We'll see. One thing blatantly clear is that the team needs some legitimate shooters. All three of the recruits can shoot well. But then again so could Etherington, Hartman, Hollowell, and Ferrell before the put on the Cream and Crimson.

Yogi obviously had his up nights, but he really seemed to fall off toward the end of the year. And that was after an awful freshman year.

Stat geek...and proud

The Woodson thing apparently has some legs. I don't buy that it's happening, but there seems to be some smoke there.

We'll see. One thing blatantly clear is that the team needs some legitimate shooters. All three of the recruits can shoot well. But then again so could Etherington, Hartman, Hollowell, and Ferrell before the put on the Cream and Crimson.

Yogi obviously had his up nights, but he really seemed to fall off toward the end of the year. And that was after an awful freshman year.
    Yeah, I guess part of it is that I'm becoming much more bearish on incoming freshmen. For obvious reasons.

Blackmon Jr. can certainly shoot the lights out.

Do you agree that much of IU's fortunes next season hinge on Vonleh?

For Kentucky, I'm pretty much conceding that WCS, Young, and Randle are gonzo. If the twins were to leave as well, it would be disastrous for UK's back court next season. You're then looking at a string bean 5'8" PG Ulis, Hawkins, and Devin Booker as your guards... I'm assuming Cal would add a graduate transfer or something but it would be tough sledding.

Yeah, I guess part of it is that I'm becoming much more bearish on incoming freshmen. For obvious reasons.

I'm not sure I'd go that far.
    They're likely to add another big body somewhere somehow(I'm thinking the Spring Creaning might be especially severe this year.)
    And they've honestly done better at times without a big guy to focus on. For two years with Zeller and one year with Vonleh, the guards have alternately struggled with trying too hard to forcing the ball into the big man and forgetting to get the ball to the big man.
    My guess is without Vonleh, they're a bit better than this year and will be on the bubble. With him, they're a legit threat to grab the coveted third Sweet Sixteen ring in 4 years.

To be honest dude I don't know what to think anymore other than Crean might not be the guy for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    The Woodson thing apparently has some legs. I don't buy that it's happening, but there seems to be some smoke there.
    Woodson is one of three guys that I always wondered why IU didn't approach in the past. The other two are Randy Wittman and Butch Carter.

16. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-14-2014)

Yes. Either that or IU needs an unexpected huge step forward by one of Parea, Davis, or Hollowell. The backcourt should be very good, and I expect Troy Williams to be very good. He looked significantly better in the last few weeks of the season and seemed to be developing a semi-reliable jumper. But right now I have no idea where any post scoring is going to come from. There's a huge gap on defense when Vonleh is out as well, so it will be hard to make that up.

With Vonleh, I think IU is a top-15 team. Without him, they're likely not very good.

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-15-2014)

Turn Off Ads?