Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Summer Concerts 2014

Re: Summer Concerts 2014

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Did you enjoy the show last night?
    I did. I agree with the poster about Tom Morello. I think he added a great energy to the band. No offense to Little Stevie. It's my 4th time seeing him and he doesn't disappoint even at 65. I hope I have that much energy when I get that age.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Woah. Any fans of Nickel Creek out there that are thinking about checking them out on their Welcome Back Tour - I strongly recommend catching a show.

I caught their gig in Indianapolis last night. They haven't missed a beat over their 7 year hiatus. Weird to think they've been a band for 25 years - considering how young they still are.

Their opener - The Secret Sisters put on a great show as well. I'll be checking them out again down the road.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Bought a meet and greet package with Def Leppard and will be also seeing Motley Crue. Pretty stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Bought a ticket to see Sir Paul again @ YUM in Louisville June 26. Registered for the pre-sale on his website yesterday. Can't believe it's been almost 3 years since I saw him first @ GABP.
    Well, Paul is still under doctor's orders to take it easy recovering from the virus he had in Japan and cancelled the June concerts... They've been rescheduled in October! Just received the ticket yesterday. So I called and cancelled the hotel room @ The Galt House (they hadn't charged my credit card). Will wait on this because of the timeframe and it's now on a Tuesday .
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Ive got Macca at YUM and Motley Crue as well. Flying to Vegas to see NIN and Soundgarden in July. Looking forward to all.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Saw Bill Cosby last night at Aronoff. Still funny as heck.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-20-2014),Roy Tucker (06-15-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by JB12 View Post
    Woah. Any fans of Nickel Creek out there that are thinking about checking them out on their Welcome Back Tour - I strongly recommend catching a show.

I caught their gig in Indianapolis last night. They haven't missed a beat over their 7 year hiatus. Weird to think they've been a band for 25 years - considering how young they still are.

Their opener - The Secret Sisters put on a great show as well. I'll be checking them out again down the road.
    Hoping to see Nickel Creek in a few weeks. Chris Thile is outstanding.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Okay, so I went through the Def Leppard meet and greet and wanted to share some thoughts.

First of all, I thought it was well done, well organized, and totally worth it.

About 50 or so people paid for this experience. We all went to a tent and our host went over the rules (no hugs, kisses, they can't sign anything, and please do not shake Vivian Campbell's hand as he is going through chemotherapy).

Def Leppard were in the tent next to us- one by one we were to walk through, say a little something and get our photo taken with the band.

Now- I had prepared myself for this for months. I knew I would have just a few seconds with each member, so I came up with something to say for each one. They are my favorite band, and I didn't want to blow this.

When it was my turn to go in, not going to liee, the nerves hit.

Rick savage was the first one lined up. He grabbed my hand and said "Thanks so much for coming." I was not expecting someone so warm, not going to lie. I kept thinking, "Oh sure, thank God I'm here, Sav." I told him how much I appreciated the opportunity, not what I had planned to say at all.

Vivian Campbell was next. Now, they told us beforehand that just because we couldn't touch him that we should not ignore him. So I told him how much I enjoyed his Facebook page- he is a very articualte and passionate guy, especially with politics and I let him know this. He was actually surprised and appreciative.

Joe Elliott was next. I shook his hand and said "Thank you so much for your kind words on Phil Everly's passing." Swear to God he took a step back, his face lit up and he said, "You are very welcome."

I then told Phil Collen how much I liked the videos he made regarding Steve Clark and I told Rick Allen how awesome his artwork was. Both shook my hand and again, were appreciative of my words.

And then here's where it got cool, for me at least.

So I stepped back from Rick Allen to pose for the picture. I got between Phil Collen and Joe Elliott. And as the photographer was setting up, Joe put his hand on my shoulder and starts to talk to me.

You know how you are having your picture taken but you are trying to talk without letting it show in the pic?

He was doing that, right in my ear.

"You know Phil Everly came to one of our shows a few years ago."

He said this proud as a peacock.

It's a surreal feeling having a rock star that you love talking with you about another rock star you love and I just kind of rolled with it.

"It just seemed like nobody said much when he died, and it was really awesome of you to take the time to do that."

At this point they were movng me along to get out of the area. It didn't stop Joe.

"Well you are very welcome, and I hope you enjoy tonight and enjoy the (signed) photo."

Just cloud nine.

11. Likes:

KittyDuran (07-27-2014),klw (07-27-2014),marcshoe (07-27-2014),Reds Fanatic (07-27-2014),RichRed (07-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    About 50 or so people paid for this experience. We all went to a tent and our host went over the rules (no hugs, kisses, they can't sign anything, and please do not shake Vivian Campbell's hand as he is going through chemotherapy).
    I smell a sequel to Spinal Tap. Rock and Roll!

I just wasn't made for these times.

13. Likes:

Dom Heffner (07-27-2014)

Saw Phish at Northerly Island in Chicago, IL last weekend. It was absolutely incredible.

Trey is the best guitarist alive.

Was such an amazing venue.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 202
Size:  81.1 KB

I saw Steely Dan at the Illinois State Fair last night. Donald ***en and Walter Becker have got to be approaching 70 years old, but they have surrounded themselves with some top-notch musicians and the songs sounded great. ***en took about three songs off and let Becker and the backup singers handle the vocals, which is understandable given the duration of the tour and their age. My only real complaint was with the setlist. They didn't play "Do It Again", "FM" or "Deacon Blues"- three of their most recognizable hits. Instead they opted for a lot of album cuts from their early catalog.

Hate to complain because the musicianship was off the charts, but I just walked away feeling a little disappointed.

16. Likes:

Dom Heffner (08-16-2014)

Stat geek...and proud

I just looked at that Steely Dan set, and as a pretty big fan, I approve. Lots of songs off Aja. Aja rules.

18. Likes:

westofyou (08-29-2014)

Just caught a drumstick from Tommy Lee. Awesome.

20. Likes:

Joseph (08-29-2014)

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Just caught a drumstick from Tommy Lee. Awesome.
    Better disinfectant it. How many words did Vince sing tonight? Since he usually only bothers to sing every other word.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Better disinfectant it. How many words did Vince sing tonight? Since he usually only bothers to sing every other word.
    Vince was my biggest complaint. He had a hard time keeping up.

Turn Off Ads?