Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: 4/6/14 - Reds vs. Metropolitans

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Re: 4/6/14 - Reds vs. Metropolitans

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Two low-key Jocketty pick-ups that have paid dividends.
    You look at their records before coming to the Reds and it must obvious they have been replaced by aliens
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    Even when Chapman comes back, I think the role should be reconsidered. If Chapman can go two, let him go two. If the game really needs to be "saved" in the 7th...put him in in the 7th. If it happens to occur in the 9th...then the 9th.

I'm certainly not a manager in MLB but letting LeCure go yesterday for a 2nd inning wouldn't have been a bad thing (of course that's hindsight, but I thought so after he threw the 8th) particularly since it was the bottom of their order.

I'll say this about Price: after his move of replacing Hamilton and then sticking with Parra today...he's not afraid to make quick decisions and adjustments.
    I agree with this.

During the entire "should Chapman start" debate, I was pretty much on the side of letting him stay in the bullpen but use him for more than one inning at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Do that with Lecure yesterday and we would be 3-3.

I really like the concept. Everyone has off days. If you use 3 or 4 relievers for one inning you increase your chances that you hit one of them on their off days, plus they've all had to get up and throw in the bullpen using up bullets. Conversely if a guy looks good for one inning, he's obviously on for that day. Leave him in for another inning and save everyone else for tomorrow. Makes sense doesn't it?

The ability to develop pitchers who can throw multiple innings on an almost every other day basis......and not just one either, but 2 or 3... Has to be something clubs look to develop in order to quit carrying excess bullpen baggage that are basically what they used to call the 10th or 11th man on the pitching staff. The last guy to get called and mop up.

In addition... you free yourself a roster spot in order to carry a bench player who can actually hit and not just play multiple positions OK but not do much with the bat.

There are no pure PH left on many teams anymore. Giambi is the only one I can think of.

A Roger Freed, Bob Bailey, Jose Morales, Manny Mota type. With offenses going back down to early 90's levels.....It is a need now.

5. Likes:

Ravenlord (04-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I will now take back my criticism of Price for managing the bullpen like every other manager. I will assume yesterday was the anomaly.
    Growing pains. Price will make mistakes, but I think it's a good sign that he let Manny go two today after yesterday when he replied with the one word answer to did you consider letting Lecure go two. That's a good sign, but there are many more mistakes to come.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

7. Likes:

757690 (04-07-2014),redsmetz (04-07-2014)

Price showed he is not stubborn. He's going to be flexible in how he handles things. Overall, that's good. Too many managers are stubborn and are going to do things their way or go down swinging. Most go down swinging.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

9. Likes:

757690 (04-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    I could have lived a while longer without thinking about Graves
    The pre-Krispy Kreme version of Danny Graves was pretty good

Turn Off Ads?