Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031 LastLast

Thread: 4/11/14-Reds-vs-Rays

Re: 4/11/14-Reds-vs-Rays

Key to that at bat was Pena swinging at a marginal curve in a 1-0 count in that AB. A 2-0 count would have guaranteed at least two fastballs in the rest of the AB.

Everyone wants to be the hero. There's certainly no Marvel Superheroes called The Walker, but the pressure is always on the pitcher more than the hitter in that situation. Pena bailed him out and allowed him to throw another curve and then throw a marginal fastball strike the ump could easily call for strike 3.

2. Turn Off Ads?

That was Glavine-esque umping. Give them an extra 3 inches on either side.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-12-2014),Larkin Fan (04-11-2014),Red Raindog (04-11-2014)

Pena missed that 2-1 pitch that was there to hit but fouled it off.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsLvr View Post
    Hard for a pinch hitter to do. Doubt he's been doing much of watching the strike zone all game.
    why wouldn't he? anyway -- is he deaf?
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    Key to that at bat was Pena swinging at a marginal curve in a 1-0 count in that AB. A 2-0 count would have guaranteed at least two fastballs in the rest of the AB.

Everyone wants to be the hero. There's certainly no Marvel Superheroes called The Walker, but the pressure is always on the pitcher more than the hitter in that situation. Pena bailed him out and allowed him to throw another curve and then throw a marginal fastball strike the ump could easily call for strike 3.
    That's what bad hitters do and Pena is certainly a bad hitter.

NL Central champs

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I understand and I am. I would prefer that he swung and missed trying to go with the pitch ....especially with this ump. By the 4th AB... You know....that this guy's zone is a little off and you may have to expand your zone.

But since Ludwick cannot do that....although I have seen him go the other way or at least to Right CF.... then I guess it is too much to ask.

People got on Votto for not expanding his zone during the 1st AB in STL on Wed.... but he did not know the umps zone just based on a few pitches.

By the 3rd or 4th time....you should know and realize this guy will ring you up on outside stuff.
    Asking a guy to expand his zone and hit off of a former AL Cy Young award winner and elite closer is easier said than done. And can we stop comparing Votto and Ludwick? They are completely different hitters. If Ludwick could hit like Votto, he would.

#hoorayforthehumanelement
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Seriously Pena?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    I truly don't like dumping on an ump -- but I think that may be the worst home plate ump job I can remember
    Yes. Every home plate umpire will miss a few calls each game. But this guy does not belong in the major leagues. He'd be a bad little league umpire. My goodness that was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    I truly don't like dumping on an ump -- but I think that may be the worst home plate ump job I can remember
    Never trust a man named DJ

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  8.3 KB

This season is sadly starting to be over before it has really began. The honeymoon with Price and the beginning of baseball is fading fast, at least for me.

About to be a WHOPPING 5 games back and we haven't even played 3 full weeks yet.

This is not enjoyable at all.

Too soon to ask for Dusty back?
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post

That pitch was at least a half foot off the plate. Him taking that is a strike anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    Asking a guy to expand his zone and hit off of a former AL Cy Young award winner and elite closer is easier said than done. And can we stop comparing Votto and Ludwick? They are completely different hitters. If Ludwick could hit like Votto, he would.
    Good grief who the heck was comparing Votto to Ludwick? I was just using him as an example of how an umps zone cannot be known during the 1st AB.....but by the 3rd or 4th you should know what it is and that you may need to expand it accordingly ...in the case of this ump.

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    No ones asking him to hit like Votto. Ludwicks skill set is his own, but what he is asking is that he learns from his previous at bats.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Yes. Every home plate umpire will miss a few calls each game. But this guy does not belong in the major leagues. He'd be a bad little league umpire. My goodness that was terrible.
    Are there a lot of new umpires this year? A few I have seen do not look older than 20 year olds.

Turn Off Ads?