Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: Mike Leake, Best of the Bunch?

Re: Mike Leake, Best of the Bunch?

A few quick stats points on Leake: his HR/9 is down to a career low 0.9, his BB/9 is down to a career low 1.9 and his K/9 is up to a career high 7.0. Obviously that's only half a season, but even if you've been skeptical about Leake and you're a complete slave to McCrackenized pitching analysis, surely you can recognize he's doing better at all of the things his critics insisted he needed to do better.

Now, I don't think it's terribly surprising to see a pitcher in his mid-20s improving on his first few seasons, especially when he didn't spend a day in the minors. However, if you had your doubts Leake had the capability to progress, all of the current indicators are that he indeed does. At the very least his performance has been encouraging.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Brutus (06-27-2014),Redeyecat (06-27-2014),REDREAD (06-27-2014),traderumor (06-27-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    #4 and #5 Starters do not even get the opportunity to start as many games as Leake has over the years. His reliability alone makes him a solid #3 Starter. Add in "his" Defense, Gold Glove-caliber, and his hitting, Silver-Slugger-caliber, and he further cements himself as no worse than a solid #3 Starter.

By definition, #4 and #5 Starters lose their jobs from year to year, either from ineffectiveness, injuries, being dealt away because the organization is looking to upgrade, and other reasons. They never get the chance to start 30 games a year, year-after-year-after-year-after-year. #4 and #5 Starters don't skip the Minors because of their maturity on the mound. It just doesn't happen. #4 and #5 Starters don't have career averages of 1.287 WHIP's. It just doesn't happen. You've got a screw loose if you think it does.

It's ludicrous to even suggest comparisons of Leake as a #4 or #5 Starter. It's as silly a suggestion as they come.
    Very good points. At best, "backend starters" are guys who are replaceable that are worth keeping around while they're cost-controlled, then clubs let them meander into free agency and replace them with a younger, cheaper guy who can put up the same results. Given Leake's age, pedigree, consistency, health, reliability, hitting and fielding, there is nothing about him that screams easily replaceable. He's a guy most all clubs would look to keep under control for several more years.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

5. Likes:

smixsell (06-27-2014)

Sorry if this has been posted,

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2014/...ked-up-the-ks/

Manager Bryan Price was impressed by Leake’s velocity, tonight and this season.

“His stuff has gotten better,” Price said. “He’s pitching with the best velocity of his career, as a long as we’ve had him. He’s pretty consistent when he wants to go out there and get 93-94 on a fastball. That’s not a fastball you have to apologize for from a velocity standpoint. And his command has been so good and he’s working so well with Devin and he’s utilizing his defense. Even though it was 12 strikeouts today, he really does depend on that defense to pick him up. He challenges guys in the strike zone. He’s fun to play defense behind.”

Giants CF Gregor Blanco saw a good mix of stuff from Leake.

“He had a little bit of ‘whip’ to his cutter,” Blanco said. “He mixed with his four-seam fastball. He was getting everybody out of their timing.”

7. Likes:

REDREAD (06-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Amazingly, there are still people calling him a "backend starter." At this point, that is a pretty questionable analysis even if said without any further nefarious agenda.
    The Reds are infamous for putting in obscenities at #5 starters. Names like Jose Acevedo, Shawn Estes, Jeff Austin, Seth Etherton, and Brian Reith make want to jump off a cliff.

The difference between that group and Leake is night and day. Leake is a good pitcher. Those guys are light years from that.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

9. Likes:

Brutus (06-27-2014),REDREAD (06-28-2014)

I do hope that RZ can at least agree now that it was a good pick. He's been good while sporting the C on his cap.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (06-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    The Reds are infamous for putting in obscenities at #5 starters. Names like Jose Acevedo, Shawn Estes, Jeff Austin, Seth Etherton, and Brian Reith make want to jump off a cliff.

The difference between that group and Leake is night and day. Leake is a good pitcher. Those guys are light years from that.
    That's the truth.

And to be fair, almost every other team in baseball has a fifth starter that is pretty mediocre if not downright awful. Even two years ago when Leake was having some struggles, I mentioned that he was still fifth among all fifth starters in ERA... and that was despite being around 4.50.

But his career ERA is 3.91. That doesn't even put him in the vicinity of a typical 4th or 5th starter.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

To be fair, Leake is significantly better than many #1 starters from Reds past, especially during the period when those names you listed pitched for the Reds.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

14. Likes:

KittyDuran (06-27-2014),REDREAD (06-28-2014)

most times leake gets the start I have a good feeling that they will win the game. I donīt care if he is a #5 or a #3 if he is only good because of the great defence etc.

I just like the chances he gives the reds to win => I like to see him in a reds uniform
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

16. Likes:

REDREAD (06-28-2014)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    To be fair, Leake is significantly better than many #1 starters from Reds past, especially during the period when those names you listed pitched for the Reds.
    Unfortunately, very sad and very true.

I love that Leake has virtually taken upon the role of stopper. Whenever we have really needed a win this year--or have needed him to go deep into the game to spare the bullpen, Leake seems to have delivered nicely.
    Last edited by Blimpie; 06-27-2014 at 04:58 PM. Reason: typo

19. Likes:

REDREAD (06-28-2014),smixsell (06-27-2014),sonny (06-27-2014)

The biggest thing I see this year is that Leake is missing more bats then ever this year and that is huge. He has gone from around 6 strike outs per 9 innnings to 7 strike outs per 9 this year. Now his out performance of his FIP does not feel as lucky/dependent on the stellar D behind him.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

21. Likes:

smixsell (06-27-2014)

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    It's not like I'm some sunny optimist or lily-gilder. I'm perfectly content to point out a clunker and take an unpopular position. But it makes no sense to me not to regard performance holistically. I'm sure if Leake pitched in Coors with puppies as defenders he'd probably suck, but that's a counterfactual that, luckily, as a Reds fan, I don't have to imagine. Life's tough enough taken as it is; no need to tell of an alternative universe to bedevil my dreams. This one's plenty.
    Puppies as defenders made me laugh more than I probably should have. Look at the cute lil puppy playing left field. Awww.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    Mike Leake might be our #5 starter behind Cueto, Latos, Bailey, & this year Simon but that doesn't mean he profiles as a back end rotation pitcher. I believe the perception of him suffers because of his colleagues in the starting rotation. With the exception of maybe a healthy Nationals & Giants rotation I don't think there is a single rotation in all of MLB that Mike Leake wouldn't be at least a #4 starter in. The guy is just now coming into his own and should be applauded for continuing to improve at his craft. He's one of my favorite Reds and I hope they sign him to an extension at reasonable money.
    I'd take Leake over Simon every day and twice on Sunday. I still think Simon is turning back into a pumpkin at some point. He just doesn't miss enough bats. Less than Leake actually.

24. Likes:

RiverRat13 (06-27-2014)

Turn Off Ads?