Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: 5/9/14 Rockies @ Reds (Votto hitting 4th)

Re: 5/9/14 Rockies @ Reds (Votto hitting 4th)

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Very few get to Marty's stature in baseball "just calling the game."
    And yet that guy in Los Angeles is far, far above Marty's stature and did it by just calling the game.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

Larkin Fan (05-10-2014),Raisor (05-10-2014),RedsBaron (05-10-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    And yet that guy in Los Angeles is far, far above Marty's stature and did it by just calling the game.
    He's had a little more flair along the way than you may give him credit for. It's not Marty's style, for certain, but he's not been bland by any stretch. He's had some real interesting in-game commentary on Puig's approach the last couple of years.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    I'm not trying to degrade his accomplishments, but I would venture a guess, that the Reds fans who "deeply appreciate his style", are thinking fondly of a version of Marty that is not there anymore.

A lot of fans can close their eyes and hear him calling games from 40 years ago, not what he turns out night after night nowadays.

When he does decide to focus on the action, he can be outstanding from time to time still. But when he acts as though every runner stranded on base, that he treats as though someone has committed a crime against humanity. Is when I personally, find him to be insufferable.
    Those are some fair points. But a lot of people change over time. Personally, I'd like to see him a little less put out at times.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    My biggest problem with Thom/Marty, is that I find them too often to be pompous, arrogant, blowhards, who act with just complete disdain at any failures the Reds players have. Treating them as a personal assault against humanity.

Just call the game. Allow the fan to feel their own emotions please.
    If I could like this post 1000 times I would, and have said similar things myself for years. And I don't want to dislike Marty. I really try. I respect him a great deal. Now, Thom is a lost cause. Was he like this back in 1989 with Bench? I was only 11 so I remember him doing the games that year, but I don't remember him being annoying, but I didn't know any better then.

I think the fact that the Reds just won a game in exciting fashion, probably the most fun game of the year given Frazier's bomb and Hammy's double and everything else that came later, and we are talking about the announcers speaks volumes.
    Last edited by gilpdawg; 05-10-2014 at 02:26 AM.

I looked at the boxscore, saw Schumaker and Pena listed at the top of the lineup, and thought I had my paper upside down.

8. Likes:

KittyDuran (05-10-2014),Red Raindog (05-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I've heard rumors your permabans are rarely permanent. In fact, I saw yesterday you unbanned Larkin Fan just two posts after blacklisting him.
    $$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    $$$$$
    Ha, you wish!

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    Ha, you wish!
    Admit it shyster!

Turn Off Ads?