Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NFL Draft

2016 NFL Draft

Hey all,

I figure there may be a lot discussion on this topic in the next 48-72 hours, so I thought it would be cool to have a separate thread. I'm a bit of a draft junkie myself, so I like the idea.
    Last edited by RedEye; 04-27-2016 at 10:40 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2016 NFL Draft

Juicy rumor from Gil Brandt tonight... appears the Bengals are attempting to move up for Josh Doctson.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/4/27...draft-for-josh

From what I've seen, I love the kid, so if the Bengals are convinced he's the guy, I'm all for moving up. Would be a rarity for Brown et al., so color me skeptical. Still, I could see it happening.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

4. Likes:

Benihana (04-27-2016),Kingspoint (04-28-2016)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Juicy rumor from Gil Brandt tonight... appears the Bengals are attempting to move up for Josh Doctson.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/4/27...draft-for-josh

From what I've seen, I love the kid, so if the Bengals are convinced he's the guy, I'm all for moving up. Would be a rarity for Brown et al., so color me skeptical. Still, I could see it happening.
    I don't think any of this year's receivers are worth moving up for. Maybe the Bengals think differently. I think this is more smokescreen than anything. If the Bengals move, they'll more likely move down.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

Dom Heffner (04-28-2016)

I put this in the other thread but it more belongs here:

For me in the first round:

Want one of:
    WR Thomas
    DE Dodd/Ogbah/Bullard
    DT Reed/Butler

Would be satisfied with:
    DT Billings
    WR Coleman/Doctson/Treadwell
    CB Alexander/Jackson/Burns/K.Fuller
    SS Joseph
    OC Kelly

Would be pleasantly surprised by:
    LB Jack
    DL Rankins

Stay away from: Nkemdiche, Robinson, W.Fuller

If the Bengals don't go WR in the first round, then Sterling Shepard or Pharoh Cooper should be the pick at #55.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Doctson, Coleman or Treadwell please. I think Will Fuller is most likely, and I'd rather not (at least in the first).
    Go BLUE!!!

9. Likes:

Dom Heffner (04-28-2016)

I love Fuller's speed, but I have a feeling his drops would be maddening. I can just imagine him dropping a wide open TD pass to lose a playoff game...

... Okay, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I put this in the other thread but it more belongs here:

For me in the first round:

Want one of:
    WR Thomas
    DE Dodd/Ogbah/Bullard
    DT Reed/Butler

Would be satisfied with:
    DT Billings
    WR Coleman/Doctson/Treadwell
    CB Alexander/Jackson/Burns/K.Fuller
    SS Joseph
    OC Kelly

Would be pleasantly surprised by:
    LB Jack
    DL Rankins

Stay away from: Nkemdiche, Robinson, W.Fuller

If the Bengals don't go WR in the first round, then Sterling Shepard or Pharoh Cooper should be the pick at #55.
    Yeah, I am becoming more and more convinced that a DT or DE should be the pick unless they are madly in love with Doctson or one of the other WR (and they are still available). The DLine is starting to look awfully thin and aged and they have missed on a few picks there lately. Need an infusion of young talent there and they have recently been good at landing WR later, so I wouldn't mind them waiting on that position.

Another player I wouldn't mind seeing them pick is Ryan Kelly. He's the top C in the draft and seems like a sure thing. As we've seen over and over, a good OLine will really make this offense him and to my mind Bodine is the weakest link.

Why do you favor Thomas over Doctson?
    Last edited by RedEye; 04-27-2016 at 11:45 PM.

Anyone know around what time the Bengals' will make their pick tonight?

Yeah, I am becoming more and more convinced that a DT or DE should be the pick unless they are madly in love with Doctson or one of the other WR (and they are still available). The DLine is starting to look awfully thin and aged and they have missed on a few picks there lately. Need an infusion of young talent there and they have recently been good at landing WR later, so I wouldn't mind them waiting on that position.

Another player I wouldn't mind seeing them pick is Ryan Kelly. He's the top C in the draft and seems like a sure thing. As we've seen over and over, a good OLine will really make this offense him and to my mind Bodine is the weakest link.

Why do you favor Thomas over Doctson?
    I think Thomas is the only WR this year who can be a WR1. Doctson would be a solid WR2 and no team should be spending a first round selection on a WR if he can't become a #1. Just imagine teams trying to cover Thomas AND Green? Imagine PIT with no secondary trying to do it.

Anyone know around what time the Bengals' will make their pick tonight?
    Teams are allotted 10 minutes each in the first round to make their pick (other rounds are shorter). So it'll be no later than around midnight. Probably earlier though.

I love Fuller's speed, but I have a feeling his drops would be maddening. I can just imagine him dropping a wide open TD pass to lose a playoff game...

... Okay, sorry.

Drops is something that can be corrected or even limited in the right scheme. AJ Green has a lot of drops but he's still one of the games best.

Even though everyone would come out with pitchforks if the pick isn't a d lineman or a WR, one player I'd like is Karl Joseph from WVU. He's a safety recovering from an ACL injury but from watching him in college he can lay some brutal hits. There's an opening with Reggie Nelson gone and having another heavy hitter with Burfict would make our defense that much better.

I wanted to do a mock this year but with an 18 month old taking a lot of my attention it's kinda hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Fuller has 8 inch hands. Tiny. Smaller than Trump, even.

For contrast with other players about the same size:

Coleman (expected to go in the 1st): 9 inch hands (also has issues with drops)
    Shepard (2nd): 9.75 inch hands
    Cooper (3rd-4th): 9.25 inch hands

16. Likes:

Razor Shines (04-29-2016)

If Thomas is a #1, why aren't the draftniks onto him? Don't get me wrong, I like his game, but to me he isn't any more a sure thing than Doctson or Coleman or Treadwell.

Thomas is kind of slow. That is why. He is a poor man's Laquan Treadwell. I think people are looking at him with scarlet colored sunglasses.

19. Likes:

WVRed (04-28-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Thomas is kind of slow. That is why. He is a poor man's Laquan Treadwell. I think people are looking at him with scarlet colored sunglasses.
    This is why I cringe every time there is an Ohio State player near a slot where the Bengals should draft. Carlos Hyde and Chris Gamble come to mind very easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

If Thomas is a #1, why aren't the draftniks onto him? Don't get me wrong, I like his game, but to me he isn't any more a sure thing than Doctson or Coleman or Treadwell.

This may shock you, but I have seen A LOT of Thomas's games. Pretty much every single one of them.

I always find this funny when people talk about Thomas being slow. The 2014 games against MSU, Thomas caught a short pass, broke free from a defender, and ended up taking the ball to the house. During entire my wife is yelling at for him to run, asking why he isn't running faster, fearing he is going to get caught from behind. In the end he wasn't and he scored at TD in what ended up being that teams springboard to the championship.

Thomas is somewhat of an enigma to me. In 2014 he played along side of Devon Smith, who that season seemed was told to go deep and catch the ball. He didn't really need to stretch the field because that is what Smith did. Last season he was slotted to play the same role, but didn't have a deep threat, and saw OSU got to vanilla play calling, keeping everything underneath.

Just looked at a comparison between Fuller and Thomas. Fuller has better straight line speed but Thomas had a better shuttle run. I do think teams become fascinated by 40 times, allowing to be the determining factor, when straight line speed doesn't really determine if you are a good WR or not at the next level.

Frankly I think the Bengals need a quality #2 WR. Sure it would be great to have two top line WR's on the field, but you can't project that. If you look at the composition of the Bengals, they already have a WR who requires help over the top, and a TE who reeks havoc in the middle of defenses, what they need is a guy who can win a one on one battle, run good routes, and catch the ball.

Turn Off Ads?