Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 MLB Draft Day One Thread

Re: Official 2014 MLB Draft Day One Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The highest the Reds have taken a for sure reliever under Buckley was the 3rd round. They took Sean Watson, who was a reliever at Tennessee in the 2nd and tried making him a starter. They took Lorenzen in the supplemental 1st, and have tried making him a starter. I don't think the Reds will be taking a guy they see as a for sure reliever in the first. They haven't done it under Buckley, or even come close.
    Brad Boxberger
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nick Howard seems like the kind of guy we could take at 29 or 58 and try to convert him into a starter. There are other guys I'd rather target personally, but this regime has had a lot of success with the converting college relievers to starters model.

The only way I really want two pitchers with the first two picks is if it's some combination of Toussaint, Hoffman, Newcomb, Sheffield and Medeiros. Otherwise I hope we take at least one hitter, if not two.
    Go BLUE!!!

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boro_BG_Red View Post
    Both Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo have the Reds taking TCU lefty Brandon Finnegan at 19 and prep lefty Foster Griffin at 29.

(From Mayo's mock)
    19. Cincinnati Reds: Brandon Finnegan, LHP, TCU
    Finnegan very well could be taken anywhere ahead of the Reds' pick. If that happens, Cincy could have interest in a high school pitcher like Reid-Foley or an athletic high school hitter like Hill.

29. Cincinnati Reds: Foster Griffin, LHP, The First Academy (Fla.)
    Griffin has helium as the Draft approaches, and there are teams above this pick who might have interest. If he's gone, the Reds could look at a prep pitcher like Adams.

I asked Keith Law, in his chat, about Finnegan. Law said there's a 75 percent chance he becomes a reliever.
    I would be fine with the Finnegan pick if the Reds are going to use him as a starter. He seems like a good project for Soto. If Soto can teach him an above-average change-up to go along with that heater, his breaking ball can be below average and he can still have success.

I really don't want Sean Reid-Foley. I hope he's the next in line of Gordon Beckham, Kevin Ahrens, and Alex Wimmers as red herrings all the pundits all have the Reds taking but never end up in the organization.
    Go BLUE!!!

6. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-05-2014)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Brad Boxberger
    Tried him as a starter first though.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Tried him as a starter first though.
    For 13 games in his first pro season. That's hardly a try. He was a college reliever, and frankly, everyone (probably including the Reds) always expected him to continue to be a reliever. Especially considering he was quite successful through those 13 starts (3.19 ERA, 10.2 K/9) but never started another game after that.

But overall I agree with your point - I hope and believe that Buckley (like me) doesn't care for sure-fire relievers in the first 50 picks. Or in this case, the first 58.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-05-2014 at 03:48 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-05-2014)

More I read about the draft, including Jocketty quotes, I think the Reds are going to reach out for hitters in the first couple of rounds. I think they will take a college hitter in the first round, maybe a Braxton Davidson as an example maybe at 29.

The team and the farm are quite weak on offensive talent and the Reds know it.

I know it's a pitching draft, and I would go with BPA, but if I were guessing I'd say names to watch for the Reds are Chavis, Gatewood, and Davidson.

Guessing can forget about the highest ranked players, the Reds will be going for offense all the way, even if ranked lower in the publications.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-05-2014 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    More I read about the draft, including Jocketty quotes, I think the Reds are going to reach out for hitters in the first couple of rounds. I think they will take a college hitter in the first round, maybe a Braxton Davidson as an example.

The team and the farm are quite weak on offensive talent and the Reds know it.

I know it's a pitching draft, but if I were guessing I'd say names to watch for the Reds are Chavis, Gatewood, and Davidson.

Guessing think you can forget about the highest ranked players, the Reds will be going for offense all the way, even if ranked lower in the publications.
    Davidson is a HS player, but I see your point.

Even Sickels is now mocking Finnegan to the Reds. Finnegan is officially the pundits' choice du jour. While there are some others I'd rather have more, I prefer Finnegan to Reid-Foley.
    Go BLUE!!!

12. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-05-2014)

I want Schwarber, Gatewood or C Gillaspie at 19.

I want Medrieros, Spencer Adams, Reid-Foley or Michael Gettys at 29.

If Gatewood pans out, we'd have a STUD with Stanton/Tulo power in the INF.

Reds just need to stick with the BPA approach. A college bat at 19, a HS SP at 29. I hope they take a risk with Gatewood, please do not let the Cards snatch him up. Then he'd automatically turn into Tulo, hit .300 30 HR 100 RBI every year, lol.

I'd love for Schwarber to drop. Went to a Reds game a few years ago with a large group of people. Schwarber happened to be a mutual friend. He attempted to predict the pitch and location before every pitch. It was annoying at the time but he definitely likes to think with the pitcher. It doesn't hurt that he grew up a Reds fan.

15. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-05-2014)

Pete Kozma

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Davidson is a HS player, but I see your point.

Even Sickels is now mocking Finnegan to the Reds. Finnegan is officially the pundits' choice du jour. While there are some others I'd rather have more, I prefer Finnegan to Reid-Foley.
    Oops on Davidson. But I do think they will go for a lot of hitters early. Usually when the mocks in baseball are that consistent, they know something. But even if they take Finnegan first, the Reds are usually not so subtle. They need hitting in the organization, I think they will take a lot of hitters even if they have to reach.

BA's mock this morning had Finnegan going down at 31, but obviously that's only one mock draft.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-05-2014 at 04:52 PM.

The guy I want to Reds to get at 29 is the guy the Cardinals draft at 27.
    And this one belongs to the Reds

19. Likes:

M2 (06-05-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (06-05-2014)

Is it me, or is there a lack of high quality control type pitchers this year in the first round?
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I would be fine with the Finnegan pick if the Reds are going to use him as a starter. He seems like a good project for Soto. If Soto can teach him an above-average change-up to go along with that heater, his breaking ball can be below average and he can still have success.
    Do not want. The shoulder issues this spring scare me. Not to mention that TCU pitchers get ridden hard and there's probably a good shot he ends up being more effective in relief in the long term.

22. Likes:

malcontent (06-05-2014)

Turn Off Ads?