Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft Second Round Pick: Taylor Sparks

2014 MLB Draft Second Round Pick: Taylor Sparks

Please post all Taylor Sparks related items in this thread.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2014 MLB Draft Second Round Pick: Taylor Sparks

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Where did BA and MLB.com rank him? Curious.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Where did BA and MLB.com rank him? Curious.
    MLB had him at 56.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

An awfully high K rate, so I expect he'll be on a slower track, but that isn't always bad. If he can nail down 3b and pickup LF or even RF, he will have a lot of options. I just hope the Reds see something that indicates he'll have a lot of power or can cut down his k rate.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

He reads out somewhat like Todd Frazier as a ceiling. Saw a comp to Moustakas but I hope not. Very aggressive approach - swings at everything. When he hits he hits it hard, lots of gap power and decent home run power but he has to learn to lay off some pitches or he'll never hit his ceiling. Seems to grade average to just above average on all tools. Drafted almost exactly where BA had him ranked. He has a lot to learn with his approach so he won't be a fast mover, imo. Like Frazier, will likely be somewhat older than most when he arrives.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

He will fit right in with the Reds organization. Free swinger who doesn't walk.

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    He will fit right in with the Reds organization. Free swinger who doesn't walk.

10. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-06-2014)

Of all of the first day picks, this is the one that I'm having the toughest time trying to evaluate... Getting a guy with plus power potential at that point in the draft is great but the swing / approach scare me. The swing seems long and coupled with a questionable approach, I'm skeptical that he's going to ever come close to maximizing that power potential. That said I suppose he could refine his swing and tighten up his approach, but he strikes me as more of a project than a sure thing.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/colle...-take-openers/

STILLWATER SUPER REGIONAL

Taylor Sparks, drafted by the Reds on Thursday, had four hits and scored twice Friday.
    Friday: UC Irvine 8, Oklahoma State 4
    Saturday: 9 p.m. (ESPNU)

Irvine’s loose, aggressive style continued to work wonders against an OSU juggernaut, a week after the Anteaters gave Oregon State fits. UCI scored two runs on an infield single to second base in the fourth inning to take a 2-1 lead, then tacked on three more in the fifth to chase Oklahoma State ace Jon Perrin (5 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 3 ER). The ‘Eaters scored back-to-back runs on wild pitches in that frame (one of them coming on an attempted intentional walk), then added two more in the fifth on a squeeze and a delayed steal. Leadoff man Taylor Sparks (4-for-5, 2 R) led the offense for Irvine, which got another strong start from Elliot Surrey (7 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 K). The Anteaters are one win away from their second trip to Omaha, and ace Andrew Morales has yet to take the mound.

Turn Off Ads?