Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 61 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2014

World Cup 2014

It's time this got its own thread. The USMNT is picked and it's just about done marching to Brazil. Next week, Brazil happens.

I'm going to the Portugal-Mexico warmup match tonight (because of course they're playing in Foxboro, MA). No Ronaldo, who's nursing a knee injury. My daughter is crushed. She's hoping he'll at least be on the sidelines and stroll around shirtless.

Wild prediction time: the travel, heat and humidity is going to wear down a lot of the European powerhouses. Some are going to hit a wall at the end of the group stage, some will hit it early in the knockout stage. The U.S. team will benefit from many of its players not having gone through a brutal European season and from players used to travel and heat/humidity. What I'm saying is the U.S. is going to beat Germany. Haven't decided if that means it's going to take the group, mainly because Ghana will be another team positioned to get stronger as the competition continues.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Hoosier Red (06-06-2014),paintmered (06-07-2014),reds1869 (06-06-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (06-11-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: World Cup 2014

USA...USA....USA......USA..........Do you believe in miracles? Best of luck to the young lads.

5. Likes:

CoachBombay (06-10-2014)

"the U.S. is going to beat Germany."

Dang. Good luck with that one.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

M2, I love the enthusiasm. I'll be cheering like crazy that it happens. The opener is a must win for the US.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Can't wait for the tournament. I know the Yanks are a hideous longshot to advance out of group, but I don't care. So many great players will be on display -- I'm just eager to take it all in and watch as many matches as possible.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

The USMNT is the only sports team that causes me to throw out all rationality. I am usually a very calm and level headed person, but that team turns me into something completely different. I love that more and more people are getting into it because it makes big wins more fun. If we beat Germany, I want to run into the street screaming and see others doing the same. In a way, the USMNT is the best way to bring the entire sporting nation together. The Olympics are too fractured (too many events and Americans vs. Americans). This is it. I want that feeling that the entire NATION shuts down to watch a game the way almost every other country does. We are getting there. Once we get the 'Merica crowd on board, it is on.

Also, my sister's boyfriend is from Ghana, so things are going to get a little testy in a week or so.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's time this got its own thread. The USMNT is picked and it's just about done marching to Brazil. Next week, Brazil happens.

I'm going to the Portugal-Mexico warmup match tonight (because of course they're playing in Foxboro, MA). No Ronaldo, who's nursing a knee injury. My daughter is crushed. She's hoping he'll at least be on the sidelines and stroll around shirtless.

Wild prediction time: the travel, heat and humidity is going to wear down a lot of the European powerhouses. Some are going to hit a wall at the end of the group stage, some will hit it early in the knockout stage. The U.S. team will benefit from many of its players not having gone through a brutal European season and from players used to travel and heat/humidity. What I'm saying is the U.S. is going to beat Germany. Haven't decided if that means it's going to take the group, mainly because Ghana will be another team positioned to get stronger as the competition continues.
    After watching the Men in Blazers preview for Germany, I think they raised a valid point. Brazil is going to be the World Cup of Patience, meaning things are not going to go smoothly with things like accommodations and facilities being delayed. The team that wins will be the team that is best able to go with the flow, and Germans are not known for being able to go with the flow.

I think the European teams in general are going to have it a little rougher because of they tend to play worse when they're outside their timezones. When the last World Cup was played outside standard European timezones, it was in Japan and South Korea and quite a few traditional European soccer powers fell out early, which lead to surprise teams like the US, Senegal and South Korea making it to the Quarterfinals and South Korea making it all the way to the Semis. I think South American teams will obviously have the advantage and, while I think there will still be a European team or two in the Semis, I think we'll probably see at least one European team expected to be a top team end up being very disappointing.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

11. Likes:

M2 (06-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    After watching the Men in Blazers preview for Germany, I think they raised a valid point. Brazil is going to be the World Cup of Patience, meaning things are not going to go smoothly with things like accommodations and facilities being delayed. The team that wins will be the team that is best able to go with the flow, and Germans are not known for being able to go with the flow.

I think the European teams in general are going to have it a little rougher because of they tend to play worse when they're outside their timezones. When the last World Cup was played outside standard European timezones, it was in Japan and South Korea and quite a few traditional European soccer powers fell out early, which lead to surprise teams like the US, Senegal and South Korea making it to the Quarterfinals and South Korea making it all the way to the Semis. I think South American teams will obviously have the advantage and, while I think there will still be a European team or two in the Semis, I think we'll probably see at least one European team expected to be a top team end up being very disappointing.
    Men In Blazers are the best. They know how to love their sport while not taking it/themselves too seriously. So much fun.

13. Likes:

paintmered (06-07-2014)

Some non-US related things I'm excited for in the World Cup:

1) Andrea Pirlo. The hair. The passing. The free kicks. The hair. I bet he smells wonderfully
    2) Belgium. Such a strange team, but young and very talented.
    3) Luis Suarez. He is a time bomb for either goals or controversy, or both.
    4) Brazil in Brazil. No pressure fellas.
    5) Holland/France. These two seem to be the most combustible teams.
    6) English fans. This might be the first World Cup in my lifetime that they don't expect to win. Also, their team is young and very athletic. Sterling is tremendous.
    7) Argentina. So much attacking talent. Hopefully they can make it work.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The LVH has Belgium as a 12-1 shot to win the World Cup. That's be a fun $20 bet to ride.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Some non-US related things I'm excited for in the World Cup:

1) Andrea Pirlo. The hair. The passing. The free kicks. The hair. I bet he smells wonderfully
    2) Belgium. Such a strange team, but young and very talented.
    3) Luis Suarez. He is a time bomb for either goals or controversy, or both.
    4) Brazil in Brazil. No pressure fellas.
    5) Holland/France. These two seem to be the most combustible teams.
    6) English fans. This might be the first World Cup in my lifetime that they don't expect to win. Also, their team is young and very athletic. Sterling is tremendous.
    7) Argentina. So much attacking talent. Hopefully they can make it work.
    8) More Brazilian fans, less Vuvuzelas.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

8) More Brazilian fans, less Vuvuzelas.
    Apparently they have their own noise maker of some sort. It looks like a little kids backpack.

Jozy Altidore with 2 goals vs Nigeria. I am one of Altidore's biggest critics, but if we can get him going well at the right time the US can make some noise.

The Germans are loaded, probably have had the most talent on a squad for the past 4 years now. Their midfield is loaded and will probably have a guy like Mario Gotze starting on the bench when he would be America's best player. One thing I have noticed in your big international events is the game is won and lost by the play of a dominant midfielder. Guys like Pirlo, Zidane, and Ballack have had great tournaments in dictating the play, controlling the midfield. The big stage doesn't flow like it does in league competition. Will Ozil or Schweinsteiger be able to control the midfield? They have the depth, firepower, goal keeping to win it all, but over the past number of tournaments have come up short.

One thing that may sway to the American's advantage is the heat and humidity of Brazil. Will they be able to use that as well as some rest, relative to the European teams, in group stage?

20. Likes:

Chip R (06-09-2014)

Please take a few minutes to watch John Oliver's lambasting of FIFA on his HBO show. It is tremendous.

22. Likes:

CoachBombay (06-10-2014),dougdirt (06-10-2014)

Turn Off Ads?