2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: World Cup 2014

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rise_g_lalas_576.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	7310
    A good example of where I loved Lalas' contribution was during the studio show for the World Cup draw. When the US got drawn into that group, he looked like someone had kidnapped his kids. But over the course of the show you could see him raise his spirits and say that the draw has happened, no use complaining, and let's get to work. It exactly mirrored my emotional roller coaster on that day.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

4. Likes:

Slyder (06-12-2014)

In regards to Portugal, IMO Ronaldo is the best player in this tournament. His ability to control the midfield, attack with speed and skill, and win balls in the air is unmatched by anyone. In big games against top competition he always manages to get himself free and create a couple of scoring opportunities that other players can't. To me it isn't just containing Ronaldo, it is stopping him when he creates his opportunities. Portugal doesn't really inspire me, but if Ronaldo capitalizes on his scoring chances, Portugal could play sloppy but win 2-0 or 2-1.

I think Germany has the best combination of talent, Spain is right there but getting a little long in the tooth, Brazil has the pressure of an entire nation playing at home, Belgium is a wild card, and I see Argentina getting spanked again in the knock out stage. My heart says Germany, my gut says Spain, my head says Brazil, it would be fun to see a wild card win it.

According to Nate Silver's fivethirtyeight website, Brazil have a 45% chance of winning the World Cup. Apparently, they have only lost one game on Brazilian soil, that loss in the Final to Uruguay in 1950. That is pretty astounding.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/interactives/world-cup/
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

I'm not predicting a Spain win, but I'm rooting for it. They're one of the great national teams of all time, and I'd love to see them solidify that.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    According to Nate Silver's fivethirtyeight website, Brazil have a 45% chance of winning the World Cup. Apparently, they have only lost one game on Brazilian soil, that loss in the Final to Uruguay in 1950. That is pretty astounding.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/interactives/world-cup/
    They lost in 1975 to Peru. They have lost games since 1950 but none since 1975.

I don't know how many Brazilian fans are here.... but as an Uruguayan I am so tired of the 1950 talk. They go on and on about it...... like winning a bunch of these WC afterwards means nothing.

I would gladly trade Uruguay losing in 1950 for Brazil turning into what Uruguay did in the 80's and 90's....and win a couple of more World Cups.

I know it was a tragedy then since it was in Brazil..... and until the 1970, when Brazil won their 3rd to pass Uruguay.... they were not considered the definite #1 team in SA soccer
    (Uruguay had twice as many Copa America wins than Brazil while Argentina was horrible in WC play until 1978)...... but I think they can get off this 1950 thing by now?
    I wish my country would as well.

Germany to beat Argentina in the final.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I don't really have a problem with Lalas. His history with the US team puts him in a unique position to make him a cheerleader for the US team. He has seen the US go from a team filled with college students with no professional clubs to a team filled with players from a league helped to build and from some of the highest leagues in Europe. That has to be cool and make you feel like a proud parent. When I see Lalas, I see a US fan in a place of prominence and that is cool with me.
    The thing is, if he's supposed to be a cheerleader, he isn't a very good one. He's more like one of those neurotic fans whose opinion changes with whichever way the wind blows. One day he's saying, publicly, on a stage in Times Square with the USMNT right in front of him, that they won't make it out of their group. A week later he's going off on Klinsmann for saying that the team wouldn't win the World Cup. He constantly plays into the worst instincts of US fans, like those who dislike Klinsmann and think the US team should be filled with "real 'Murkins" with a "real 'Murkin coach." He reminds me of that drunk uncle who says whatever he's thinking at the moment without putting any thought behind it.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I'm going with Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    In regards to Portugal, IMO Ronaldo is the best player in this tournament. His ability to control the midfield, attack with speed and skill, and win balls in the air is unmatched by anyone. In big games against top competition he always manages to get himself free and create a couple of scoring opportunities that other players can't. To me it isn't just containing Ronaldo, it is stopping him when he creates his opportunities. Portugal doesn't really inspire me, but if Ronaldo capitalizes on his scoring chances, Portugal could play sloppy but win 2-0 or 2-1.

I think Germany has the best combination of talent, Spain is right there but getting a little long in the tooth, Brazil has the pressure of an entire nation playing at home, Belgium is a wild card, and I see Argentina getting spanked again in the knock out stage. My heart says Germany, my gut says Spain, my head says Brazil, it would be fun to see a wild card win it.
    Ronaldo may be one of the most talented players, but not the best. The best players, IMHO, fight through adversity and raise the level of their game. If things aren't going his way, Ronaldo acts like a petulant child.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

omgomgomgomgomgomgomg less than 2 hours

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jkkj.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	7312

*cry* why must inventory be tonight... At least I have tomorrow off to watch!
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

best thing: Sepp Blatter and brasilian politicians donīt talk before the game because they donīt want to get booed
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Croatia has drawn first blood against the hosts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Neymar follows up his yellow card with the first Brazilian goal. 1-1.

Turn Off Ads?