Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: Looking Ahead: 2015 Draft

Re: Looking Ahead: 2015 Draft

Again, responding to Chuckie, I do think the Reds will draft many college players pretty early.

But #11 is a pretty special pick, the Reds haven't picked that high recently. (This year they may qualify for an even higher pick in 2016, unfortunately.)

I think they have to go BPA pretty strictly on the first pick, especially if one or two guys fall from the top ten. Can't pass up a possible star because of position, age, whatever.

2. Likes:

Chuckie (06-08-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I want a hitter !!
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

By the time Stephenson is ready for the show Mes will probably be a year or two into his contract with his next team. Barnhart has done a good job at the plate, but has usually profiled as a fine backup. Hard to [ass up a young bat that profiles with the power potential ofStephenson's

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    So the top 10 that are most frequently mentioned are the three SS's (no chance), the three OF's (Cameron, Benintendi, Tucker), the three pitchers (Fulmer, Tate, and Jay) and catcher Stephenson. By most accounts this is a weak draft. If all of these 10 are gone, unlikely, but possible, should the Reds try to go quantity over quality and reach for someone likely to sign under slot, in order to spend more on college commits in the later rounds?
    No. If all ten of them are gone, I'd really hope the Reds took HS OF Trenton Clark or Garrett Whitley. In fact I'd prefer those two to all three pitchers you named. Otherwise, go upside and take a flyer on Brady Aiken. They can't wait around for some better talent to fall to 49, even the guys who fall will likely be off the board by then if they are truly premier talents.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-08-2015 at 04:05 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    So the top 10 that are most frequently mentioned are the three SS's (no chance), the three OF's (Cameron, Benintendi, Tucker), the three pitchers (Fulmer, Tate, and Jay) and catcher Stephenson. By most accounts this is a weak draft. If all of these 10 are gone, unlikely, but possible, should the Reds try to go quantity over quality and reach for someone likely to sign under slot, in order to spend more on college commits in the later rounds?
    We could absolutely see this IMO. Unless Bob doesn't want the PR hit of a weaker first round pick at 11.

Hopefully the Reds will be able to get someone worthy of 11 or better.

I think at least 1 of those top ten guys will be there. Someone will pick outside that box, leaving one of the ten Red Van Hot named available. Whether the Reds pick whoever's left to grab??
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    No. If all ten of them are gone, I'd really hope the Reds took HS OF Trenton Clark or Garrett Whitley. In fact I'd prefer those two to all three pitchers you named. Otherwise, go upside and take a flyer on Brady Aiken. They can't wait around for some better talent to fall to 49, even the guys who fall will likely be off the board by then if they are truly premier talents.
    The two guys I had in mind when I wrote this were Aiken and Kevin Newman. Aiken would be the ultimate weak draft punt. As was mentioned, it is unlikely that all ten would be gone when the Reds pick. Nor do those names necessarily reflect the Reds rankings of players they want. I suspect that a relatively deep selection is one of the options the Reds would entertain in the event that all the players they really want are off the board.

If the Reds don't get Tucker or Benintendi, I just hope the Cubs don't get one of them. For that matter I hope Walker Buehler doesn't fall to the Cardinals, in whose hands he will surely become a Cy Young winner.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Walker Buehler is the kid of old family friends of ours. He grew up in Lexington and is a huge Reds fan. I have no idea what teams are after him (now I want to find out!), but it would be so amazing if he ended up a Red. He's a junior so he may hold out another year.
    Walker Buehler made his major-league debut last night with two shutout innings in a pathetic Dodgers loss: m.dodgers.mlb.com/news/article/253155568/dodgers-walker-buehler-solid-in-debut/

He ended up going 24th in the first round in 2015 and had Tommy John surgery right after the draft, but he's moved quickly through the ranks after recovery and is a very buzzy player right now. I like Tyler Stephenson but it's hard not to feel a twinge watching that footage of him, especially since he is still projecting as a starter. Would have loved to have seen him as a Red. He is a super kid.

My mom and aunt are flying to LA in a couple weeks for a whole series and to see him get the Dodgers Minor League Player of the Year award. It's crazy to think that I knew this kid in diapers and now there's a strong chance he'll be pitching in the playoffs less than a month after his MLB debut.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

11. Likes:

cincyinco (09-10-2017),M2 (09-08-2017),marcshoe (09-09-2017),Mitri (09-09-2017),NC Reds (09-25-2017),Old school 1983 (09-08-2017),REDREAD (09-08-2017),redsmetz (09-10-2017),RiverRat13 (09-08-2017),StRedlegs900 (09-08-2017)

Walker Buehler made his major-league debut last night with two shutout innings in a pathetic Dodgers loss: m.dodgers.mlb.com/news/article/253155568/dodgers-walker-buehler-solid-in-debut/

He ended up going 24th in the first round in 2015 and had Tommy John surgery right after the draft, but he's moved quickly through the ranks after recovery and is a very buzzy player right now. I like Tyler Stephenson but it's hard not to feel a twinge watching that footage of him, especially since he is still projecting as a starter. Would have loved to have seen him as a Red. He is a super kid.

My mom and aunt are flying to LA in a couple weeks for a whole series and to see him get the Dodgers Minor League Player of the Year award. It's crazy to think that I knew this kid in diapers and now there's a strong chance he'll be pitching in the playoffs less than a month after his MLB debut.
    Nice story. It's good to see the good guys make it to the top!

He's a ridiculous talent. Arguably the best starting pitching prospect in baseball. It'd be great if he were a Red but I don't see the Dodgers letting him go for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    He's a ridiculous talent. Arguably the best starting pitching prospect in baseball. It'd be great if he were a Red but I don't see the Dodgers letting him go for a long time.
    Oh I don't think he's going anywhere. I just meant that I wanted the Reds to draft him in the first place, but they passed on him (as did 22 other teams...guess that what's prospective TJ surgery will do).
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?