Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead: 2015 Draft

Re: Looking Ahead: 2015 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    At this point, I'd love to get a Top 11 pick, and land a talent like Daz Cameron or a top shelf true shortstop. Rest all the injured players to get them healthy for next year. Bring up guys like Rossmel Perez, Rey Navarro, and David Holmberg to see if they can perform at this level. Hopefully that is what we'll see happen 10 days from now.
    I'm with you here. The Reds should be trying out some of these guys and if the record takes a hit, who cares. They're not making the playoffs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'm with you here. The Reds should be trying out some of these guys and if the record takes a hit, who cares. They're not making the playoffs.
    Rest Cueto, Bruce, Latos, Chapman, Broxton, Phillips, Votto, Bailey, Mesoraco (gosh who else has battled injury). Work in Lutz full time, Negron full time, Soto full time and...Yorman full time.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

What's the benefit of shortening the draft to 20 rounds? I don't get it.
    Maybe it's workable, but why not leave it where it is (I think it's 40 rounds?)

The longer draft lets teams draft 5-10 high school players that have commited to college and gives the ML team a chance to "swoon" them into the pros.
    If you shorten the draft, doesn't that give the bigger market teams an advantage to gobble up all these players?

Even if you have a pool for undrafted players, you might see strategies like the Yankees used with their Latin America pool this year, where they didn't care about the penalty and just spent like mad men.

I don't see any upside to shortening the draft to 20 rounds. The teams are free to pass on their last 20 picks if they want.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

5. Likes:

corkedbat (08-23-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    What's the benefit of shortening the draft to 20 rounds? I don't get it.
    Maybe it's workable, but why not leave it where it is (I think it's 40 rounds?)

The longer draft lets teams draft 5-10 high school players that have commited to college and gives the ML team a chance to "swoon" them into the pros.
    If you shorten the draft, doesn't that give the bigger market teams an advantage to gobble up all these players?

Even if you have a pool for undrafted players, you might see strategies like the Yankees used with their Latin America pool this year, where they didn't care about the penalty and just spent like mad men.

I don't see any upside to shortening the draft to 20 rounds. The teams are free to pass on their last 20 picks if they want.
    Sorry for the late response, but shortening the draft to 20 rounds, was just part of the plan to change the draft.

The author also mentioned having something resembling a combine for HS and college players.

Part of that process, could be what players due in other drafts like the NFL and NBA, wherein they commit themselves to the draft, and would include harder slotting for all the picks.

Such as, a HS/JC or non-Senior 4 year college player would have to agree to sign for a certain amount pre draft, and if not selected by that slot number, would then become ineligible to be drafted.

That system would eliminate players who are perceived as "hard signs" from being under-drafted, but given an over-slot bonus. hey would be drafted at their talent level, or not able to be drafted at all.
    Last edited by PepperJack; 08-25-2014 at 08:52 PM.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...015-draft.html

7:00pm: Former first-round pick Phil Bickford, who elected not to sign with the Blue Jays as the No. 10 overall pick in the 2013 draft, will not return to Cal State Fullerton for his sophomore season and is strongly considering pitching in independent ball, according to Kendall Rogers of PerfectGameUSA.com (Twitter links). Such a move would allow Bickford to be eligible for the 2015 draft. Bickford could consider transferring to a junior college as well, which would also allow him to file for next year’s draft.

7:23pm: Aaron Fitt of Baseball America hears that junior college is more likely for Bickford (Twitter link). Either way, this appears to be a clear indicator that Bickford is focused on entering next year’s draft and beginning his pro career.

At Cal State Fullerton this year Bickford started 10 games, 76IP, 66H, 8.76K/G, 5.69K/BB, 2.13 ERA

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com

Phil Bickford Leaving Cal State Fullerton, Eyeing 2015 Draft

By Steve Adams [August 25, 2014 at 8:51pm CDT]

8:51pm: In a full article, Rogers provides a bit more detail of the situation, noting that Bickford also dominated the Cape Cod League this summer and was named Perfect Game Summer Player of the Year. Rogers notes that he showed a much-improved changeup and slider over the summer and would rather test the waters of the MLB draft now than wait two more years by remaining at Cal State Fullerton.

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    Sorry for the late response, but shortening the draft to 20 rounds, was just part of the plan to change the draft.

The author also mentioned having something resembling a combine for HS and college players.

Part of that process, could be what players due in other drafts like the NFL and NBA, wherein they commit themselves to the draft, and would include harder slotting for all the picks.

Such as, a HS/JC or non-Senior 4 year college player would have to agree to sign for a certain amount pre draft, and if not selected by that slot number, would then become ineligible to be drafted.

That system would eliminate players who are perceived as "hard signs" from being under-drafted, but given an over-slot bonus. hey would be drafted at their talent level, or not able to be drafted at all.
    Ok, I am late responding too.

I kind of like the current system where a high school kid can throw his name in the ring and then the MLB clubs can try to woo him. It adds some excitement.. the current system with slotting seems to be working overall (other than Houston).
    But I admit, I don't know all the details.. So the kid is asked before the draft "What's the lowest you will sign for?" then the teams know that and can plan what slot to draft him in (assuming another team doesn't take him first)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Ok, I am late responding too.

I kind of like the current system where a high school kid can throw his name in the ring and then the MLB clubs can try to woo him. It adds some excitement.. the current system with slotting seems to be working overall (other than Houston).
    But I admit, I don't know all the details.. So the kid is asked before the draft "What's the lowest you will sign for?" then the teams know that and can plan what slot to draft him in (assuming another team doesn't take him first)

I think that's the main idea behind it. Although, having a combine like event, would also get all the medicals out of the way also. Players often have "asking prices" that are rumored before the draft anyways, so that would basically just be them putting that in writing before hand.

A HS player committing to the draft in some capacity, would likely be the only way to get by some of the NCAA restrictions and regulations. Much in the feeling out process they allow for HS or underclass basketball players to attend some workouts, and have a feeling out to see where they might be drafted, and then decide to enter the draft, or stay in school.

Right now, these were just ideas, although as the original article mentioned, there was some wording for a combine added to the latest collective bargaining agreement.

Baseball to my knowledge, is the only sport that allows players to decide after being drafted, whether to commit to the drafting process, or not. Every other sport, the players are known to be eligible before the draft.

While that does allow for unique situations to arise, it can often lead to messy, and unfortunate situations for both teams, and the players. I don't think a new harder slotting system would really hurt the players that much, it would just allow them to be drafted where they are valued at based on talent, not one teams budget.

Baseball has been trying over the years to clean up their draft, and the other ways that teams can obtain amateur players. An international draft is widely reported to be on the horizon for instance.

I think that's the main idea behind it. Although, having a combine like event, would also get all the medicals out of the way also. Players often have "asking prices" that are rumored before the draft anyways, so that would basically just be them putting that in writing before hand.

A HS player committing to the draft in some capacity, would likely be the only way to get by some of the NCAA restrictions and regulations. Much in the feeling out process they allow for HS or underclass basketball players to attend some workouts, and have a feeling out to see where they might be drafted, and then decide to enter the draft, or stay in school.

Right now, these were just ideas, although as the original article mentioned, there was some wording for a combine added to the latest collective bargaining agreement.

Baseball to my knowledge, is the only sport that allows players to decide after being drafted, whether to commit to the drafting process, or not. Every other sport, the players are known to be eligible before the draft.

While that does allow for unique situations to arise, it can often lead to messy, and unfortunate situations for both teams, and the players. I don't think a new harder slotting system would really hurt the players that much, it would just allow them to be drafted where they are valued at based on talent, not one teams budget.

Baseball has been trying over the years to clean up their draft, and the other ways that teams can obtain amateur players. An international draft is widely reported to be on the horizon for instance.
    I think a combine where all the players can get their physicals and do workouts in front of teams is a good idea.
    I don't like the idea of having high school players or college underclassmen commit to the draft and risk their eligiblity. Now, I have stopped watching college sports, so I don't know all the details, but we have already seen the Phillies and Astros play dirty and try to damage the eligibility of players they drafted. College eligibility is really the only leverage these guys have, I don't want them to lose that. I mean, sure they can play in independent leagues, but not many players actually do that.

So few draftees actually make it to the major leagues. Honestly, if you are about a 10th round draft pick or so, statistically, you are probably better off going to college. (The draft round may wrong, that was just an example).
    At least in the NBA or NFL, if you get drafted, you go straight to the pro team and have a chance to win a job.. You aren't committing to toiling in the minors for years, possibly never even making the big league team.

All these compensatory, supplemental, bonus picks make the draft numbering of picks misleading. If you are a top 15 team or so you get true slots. If you are in the backend however, you are actually getting a second rounder with your first pick, a third rounder with your 2nd pick etc. "Supplemental first round" is actually the start of the 2nd round, backend (to the number of 1st round supplemental/bonus pool) & supplemental second rounders the start of the third etc. Why is the 39th or 40th guy selected in a 30 team draft still considered 1st round? Only because of the money slotted. Just food for thought. I try not to think of rounds but numbers. Top Ten ranked. Top 20 ranked. Top 50 ranked etc. If you can draft 2 top 30 ranked guys, you landed 2 first rounders whether you drafted them in the first, second or third round.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Kiley McDaniel of Fangraphs has an early top 51 prospects for the 2015 draft article out. It includes news and notes on some of the prospects, as well as video.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2015-mlb-draft-top-51/

Kiley McDaniel of Fangraphs has an early top 51 prospects for the 2015 draft article out. It includes news and notes on some of the prospects, as well as video.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2015-mlb-draft-top-51/
    As I said at the beginning of the summer (and the top of this thread), I'd love to see the Reds land Brendan Rodgers or Daz Cameron.
    Last edited by Benihana; 09-12-2014 at 10:35 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Depending on if they think Blandino can stick at short, but Ian Happ or Alonzo Jones would be interesting for 2b or possibly OF. Then again, just draft BPA and let the chips fall where they may.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I think a combine where all the players can get their physicals and do workouts in front of teams is a good idea.
    I don't like the idea of having high school players or college underclassmen commit to the draft and risk their eligiblity. Now, I have stopped watching college sports, so I don't know all the details, but we have already seen the Phillies and Astros play dirty and try to damage the eligibility of players they drafted. College eligibility is really the only leverage these guys have, I don't want them to lose that. I mean, sure they can play in independent leagues, but not many players actually do that.

So few draftees actually make it to the major leagues. Honestly, if you are about a 10th round draft pick or so, statistically, you are probably better off going to college. (The draft round may wrong, that was just an example).
    At least in the NBA or NFL, if you get drafted, you go straight to the pro team and have a chance to win a job.. You aren't committing to toiling in the minors for years, possibly never even making the big league team.
    The Astros should have their compensation pick stripped.

Turn Off Ads?