Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Amir Garret.. Did the light go on?

Amir Garret.. Did the light go on?

He pitched a complete game shut out yesterday...

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=607237

His last 2 starts have been really really good...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Amir Garret.. Did the light go on?

I think you are missing a start.

His 6/11 start was really good, and so was his 5/30 start, but he dropped a stinky deuce on 6/5. It's pretty much been his pattern all season. He's consistently inconsistent, which is what one would expect from a guy who has spent his whole career bouncing between two sports.

Yep your right I missed a stinky duece of a start...

Nevertheless, it has occurred to me that given a little success he might be more inclined to concentrate his efforts on baseball.

Until he decides his future is in baseball, I can't take him seriously as a prospect.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I think you are missing a start.

His 6/11 start was really good, and so was his 5/30 start, but he dropped a stinky deuce on 6/5. It's pretty much been his pattern all season. He's consistently inconsistent, which is what one would expect from a guy who has spent his whole career bouncing between two sports.
    Actually, that 6/5 start was awesome, until the last inning. He took a no hitter into the 6th inning before giving up three infield singles in the 6th with one out as things began to unravel.

8. Likes:

mace (06-13-2014)

One thing about minor league performances that has always bothered me.

Very few commentators focus on the strength of the opposing team or pitcher.

If a guy has a great hitting game, don't we need to look at the pitcher he faced? A great prospect or somebody with a modest record.

I noticed Garret's good game the other day. Just wonder -- was he facing a decent offense?

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-14-2014)

The June 5th start was absolutely dominant. Two of the runs he gave in the last inning were on balls that rolled 30 feet up the third base line, another was a grounder toward the middle that two infielders collided, scored a hit.

Difference between Garrett now and Garrett before: He is now throwing his breaking ball for strikes, so they can't sit on the fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    The June 5th start was absolutely dominant. Two of the runs he gave in the last inning were on balls that rolled 30 feet up the third base line, another was a grounder toward the middle that two infielders collided, scored a hit.

Difference between Garrett now and Garrett before: He is now throwing his breaking ball for strikes, so they can't sit on the fastball.
    Do you get any sense of when he will be fully committed to baseball? It seems like his love of basketball is still holding him back just enough from taking that next step.

Yeah I don't pay any attention to Garrett. Until he dedicates himself fully to baseball. Garrett has no future with basketball.

Is he unhittable at that level when he is throwing the BB for strikes?

Yes, pretty much. He easily could have three starts in a row without allowing a run.

No change in commitment from where he has been, as far as I know. I expect him to return to school in August. Yes, hard to compete with full-time players as a part-timer. Let's see how the summer plays out.

Maybe a bump to high A in a few weeks, and if he dominates out there then a move to AA to finish the year...

No chance of that. He is at the level where he should be. Hopefully he can show some consistency. When he can't throw his curve for strikes, he is going to struggle to get through four innings in the Midwest League.

No chance of that. He is at the level where he should be. Hopefully he can show some consistency. When he can't throw his curve for strikes, he is going to struggle to get through four innings in the Midwest League.
    Thanks 72..

Hopefully he will stay through the end of the season anyway this year...

Turn Off Ads?