Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Movie/Television Pet Peeves

Movie/Television Pet Peeves

What are some things in movies/tv shows that bother you, distract you, or just annoy you in general?

I'll start with one of mine: When a character is on the phone, the audience doesn't hear/see the person they're talking to, and the actor doesn't pause long enough for the other person to reasonably have time to respond.

Something along the lines of this: "Hello? Speaking. Is that right? Well, I'll be...No, no don't do that. I'll be right over" with hardly a fraction of a second pause for the other person to speak.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Movie/Television Pet Peeves

Disney finally got it right!

Attachment 7637

Attachment 7638
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

My two pet peeves is how someone can park in front of a big city office building and the space is always open.

Another one is how you can go great distances in small amounts of time. Justified is a huge offender here. I am not intimately familiar with the geography of eastern Kentucky but I do know it doesn't take just a few minutes to go from Lexington to Harlan and vice versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

5. Likes:

KittyDuran (07-26-2014),reds1869 (07-26-2014)

Every time there's a scene where someone meets another person for a drink, they have a 30-second conversation, then one of them says they have to go, leaving a full drink on the bar or table.

Why did you even order that drink if you knew you weren't staying long enough to take more than a sip? (Also, I hate to see even a fake drink go to waste.)
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-28-2014),Dom Heffner (07-26-2014),KittyDuran (07-26-2014),LoganBuck (07-28-2014)

Biggest pet peeve:

That every show isn't as good as the first four seasons of The West Wing

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    My two pet peeves is how someone can park in front of a big city office building and the space is always open.

Another one is how you can go great distances in small amounts of time. Justified is a huge offender here. I am not intimately familiar with the geography of eastern Kentucky but I do know it doesn't take just a few minutes to go from Lexington to Harlan and vice versa.
    It takes about three hours to go from Harlan to Lexington. I know I grew up in that area. That's a big reason I quit watching that show was that the things they portrayed that go on in Harlan never happen there.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Whenever a character utters the line, "You just don't get it do you," I'm done.

That is an example of lazy writing, storytelling, and you can find it in a TON of films and shows.

Awful.

11. Likes:

KronoRed (07-26-2014),Razor Shines (07-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

Would you want to watch a show where the characters search for parking spaces?

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    What are some things in movies/tv shows that bother you, distract you, or just annoy you in general?

I'll start with one of mine: When a character is on the phone, the audience doesn't hear/see the person they're talking to, and the actor doesn't pause long enough for the other person to reasonably have time to respond.

Something along the lines of this: "Hello? Speaking. Is that right? Well, I'll be...No, no don't do that. I'll be right over" with hardly a fraction of a second pause for the other person to speak.
    I'm beating a dead horse but you wouldn't want to sit and wait for dialog you never hear.

When a character opens a door and enters the room and immediately responds to something being discussed before they came in. Ex. Annette Bening at the end of The American President " (aka The West Wing pilot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Would you want to watch a show where the characters search for parking spaces?
    Course not but most major companies in big cities don't have open parking spaces directly in front of the building.

Here's another one: Someone calls someone else and tells them to turn on the TV and watch something. When they turn the TV on the thing they are supposed to watch is magically on that channel that was turned on.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Urinal scenes. Literally unless it's about some one pooing in the urinal, it's not a valid plot device.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

17. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (07-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Urinal scenes. Literally unless it's about some one pooing in the urinal, it's not a valid plot device.

19. Likes:

919191 (07-28-2014),KittyDuran (07-27-2014)

A whole gang of bad guys blasting away with machine guns and not hitting anyone and 1 good guy with a pistol mows down a platoon and a couple jet fighters for good measure.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

21. Likes:

KittyDuran (07-27-2014),RedsBaron (07-27-2014),westofyou (07-26-2014)

Movie/Television Pet Peeves

Superhero movies

Meh, so tired if bending reality to accept their existence but we the viewer must somehow become connected to their personal relationships and foibles

Y A W N

23. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-28-2014),improbus (07-28-2014)

Turn Off Ads?