Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Movie/Television Pet Peeves

Re: Movie/Television Pet Peeves

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Biggest pet peeve:

That every show isn't as good as the first four seasons of The West Wing
    I was actually watching an episode from season two when I read this post. Great show. But since we're talking pet peeves, the dialogue could get a little too cute and precious at times.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Likes:

Hoosier Red (07-27-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

One of mine is when the actor either whispers or shouts to prove their ACTING

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Course not but most major companies in big cities don't have open parking spaces directly in front of the building.

Here's another one: Someone calls someone else and tells them to turn on the TV and watch something. When they turn the TV on the thing they are supposed to watch is magically on that channel that was turned on.
    And the news story they are never being told to watch is never over and is always about to provide the critical moment or information.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Superhero movies

Meh, so tired if bending reality to accept their existence but we the viewer must somehow become connected to their personal relationships and foibles

Y A W N
    You would think being Batman was miserable.

7. Likes:

westofyou (07-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    You would think being Batman was miserable.
    Make mine marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Biggest pet peeve:

That every show isn't as good as the first four seasons of The West Wing
    Just finishing up the show beginning to end. You're right. First four seasons were really impressive. This last season is fun, but not nearly as well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Boy, you guys are real sticklers for realism

There's a reason TV shows are TV shows: they're not real. Many of the things you mention are things that writers and directors have considered the facts of and adjusted or altered in the name of storytelling. If the places of Lexington and Harlan are rich for storytelling, but it throws a wrench into the storytelling to have them be so far apart, they adjust. It's not supposed to be "real", it's supposed to be a story.

There's a subtle difference between this and a character continually ordering a drink that he doesn't touch, because that's an indication of character. The obvious conclusion of buying a drink is to drink it, so if a character bucks this convention, there has to be a reason for it -- the character gets mad, the character is deliberately buying a drink as an excuse, etc. This is problematic, especially it if happens over and over, because it goes to the heart of a character's motives and thereby can even affect a plot, in a way that altering distance between places does not. The difference is that the former is distracting for any human watching and trying to ingest the story, whereas the second is just a trivia (and trivial!) distraction for anyone who happens to know the place and doesn't really affect the story itself.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Boy, you guys are real sticklers for realism

There's a reason TV shows are TV shows: they're not real. Many of the things you mention are things that writers and directors have considered the facts of and adjusted or altered in the name of storytelling. If the places of Lexington and Harlan are rich for storytelling, but it throws a wrench into the storytelling to have them be so far apart, they adjust. It's not supposed to be "real", it's supposed to be a story.

There's a subtle difference between this and a character continually ordering a drink that he doesn't touch, because that's an indication of character. The obvious conclusion of buying a drink is to drink it, so if a character bucks this convention, there has to be a reason for it -- the character gets mad, the character is deliberately buying a drink as an excuse, etc. This is problematic, especially it if happens over and over, because it goes to the heart of a character's motives and thereby can even affect a plot, in a way that altering distance between places does not. The difference is that the former is distracting for any human watching and trying to ingest the story, whereas the second is just a trivia (and trivial!) distraction for anyone who happens to know the place and doesn't really affect the story itself.
    Yes. You don't want to sit through the characters searching for parking spaces.

"You just don't get it, do you?"

I'm sorry that is the worst line of dialogue, just ever.

Exactly, making assumptions that the viewer is aware that one has red lights, parking, bathroom visits in their life helps move the narrative. If I have to watch someone work on that piece of spinach in their teeth for 5 minutes I'd go and visit my dad.

14. Likes:

vaticanplum (07-27-2014)

"You just don't get it, do you?"

I'm sorry that is the worst line of dialogue, just ever.
    See also: "What do you want from me?" "What is it that you want?"

And this is an example of something that IS realistic; people do say these things. But it's the laziest writing ever. Every character exists in every story to want something and to try to get it. It's the basis of acting. To have them state it outright is basically coming right out and saying "we are incapable of telling this story in an interesting way."
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

30 year olds playing teenagers in High school.

Over the top stereotypes. Even with characters like nerds, or popular girls, or gym rats, or soccer moms. They make it so we can spot them as soon as they enter the room, before they say anything. Zero subtlety.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

17. Likes:

KittyDuran (07-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    See also: "What do you want from me?" "What is it that you want?"

And this is an example of something that IS realistic; people do say these things. But it's the laziest writing ever. Every character exists in every story to want something and to try to get it. It's the basis of acting. To have them state it outright is basically coming right out and saying "we are incapable of telling this story in an interesting way."
    Yes, it's the writers telling, not showing.

To Chip's and others' point, perhaps writers should just find a way around some of these details, that's a possibility.

Whenver I hear a character say "Yes, my number is 5-5-5..." I get tossed out of the story for a few seconds.

There's a dictionary with thousands of words in it, pick a few out that get us around this.

Then don't show the characters parking. Cut from them driving, to them getting out of a parked car. The audience will understand what happened in between.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Then don't show the characters parking. Cut from them driving, to them getting out of a parked car. The audience will understand what happened in between.
    Sure. But also don't complain that they didn't park in the last parking space and walk up for five minutes.

Nobody cares....well, except three of you lol...

Turn Off Ads?