Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What podcasts do you listen to?

Re: What podcasts do you listen to?

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Some great suggestions on here. Thanks everyone. Keep 'em coming.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Baseball
    - Effectively Wild: The Daily Baseball Prospectus Podcast
    - Fangraphs Baseball
    - Redleg Nation Radio
    - Replacement Level Podcast

General Sports
    - The B.S. Report with Bill Simmons
    - Grantland Sports

Business/Economics
    - Freakonomics Radio
    - EconTalk
    - HBR IdeaCast
    - NPR: Planet Money

General Interest
    - Radiolab from WNYC
    - Stuff You Should Know
    - This American Life
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Marc Maron's WTF podcast is the best in the biz...

6. Likes:

Eric from NC (11-18-2015),Razor Shines (09-01-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Marc Maron's WTF podcast is the best in the biz...
    Yeah it really is. That's one I used to listen to but got away from it for a while, then he re-posted his Robin Williams episode and I listened to that and have gone back and listened to a bunch of the ones I missed. The Bob Newhart episode is one of my favorites.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Yeah it really is. That's one I used to listen to but got away from it for a while, then he re-posted his Robin Williams episode and I listened to that and have gone back and listened to a bunch of the ones I missed. The Bob Newhart episode is one of my favorites.
    I have tried Maron a bunch of times. There is something about him that I don't like. Generally speaking, I like neurotic humor and self introspection, but he has always struck me as the annoying side of hipster-ism. I'm not sure if I can put my finger on it. I always get the feeling than he is really pretentious.

When I want neurotic, New York humor I go to Eddie Peppitone. I could listen to a podcast of him just laughing.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

9. Likes:

BillDoran (11-13-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I have tried Maron a bunch of times. There is something about him that I don't like. Generally speaking, I like neurotic humor and self introspection, but he has always struck me as the annoying side of hipster-ism. I'm not sure if I can put my finger on it. I always get the feeling than he is really pretentious.

When I want neurotic, New York humor I go to Eddie Peppitone. I could listen to a podcast of him just laughing.
    Maron's podcast is all about his guests. I don't care much for his standup either, but dude knows how to do an interview.

I don't find his "hipsterdom" to be particularly pretentious either. I listen to a lot of of musician shows, and he'll straight up admit about missing entire scenes of music. But the stuff he does like he has a lot of passion and enthusiasm for and you can hear it in his voice. It doesn't hurt we have pretty similar tastes (J Mascis interview FTW!), but I think we approach music in a similar manner too...

11. Likes:

BillDoran (11-13-2014),Razor Shines (04-19-2015)

Driving to Philly tomorrow, so I'm loading up until podcasts for the trip. I just downloaded an interview with Neal Adams on the Nerdist writers podcast. Adams is, to me, the Shakespeare of comic artists, or maybe the Poe. His work on Batman gave me nightmares when I was small (and resulted in comics being banned by my parents.)

Looking forward to the interview.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Johnny Cueto Fan

I listen to Dan Patrick pretty much every morning at work.

I also enjoy Joe Rogan.

Is anyone else totally consumed by the Serial podcast? I assume yes.

A couple newer podcasts that I am loving are "I Was There Too" and "Spontaneanation".

I Was There Too is hosted by Matt Gourley and he interviews character actors who were part of some of the greatest films in cinema. For instance Ep #1 is Paul F. Tompkins discussing There Will Be Blood. It's great.

Speaking of Paul F. Tompkins he hosts Spontaneanation it is an improvised comedy show. For the first 20 mins he interviews a guest and then the rest of the show is a single improvised story with 3-4 experienced improvisers. Personally I think that Paul F. Tompkins is a national treasure and brilliant improviser, any time he and Matt Gourley are teamed together I could listen all day.

16. Likes:

WildcatFan (04-20-2015)

99% Invisible
    Invisibilia

some others without any version of the word "invisible" that I can't remember right now
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

18. Likes:

Razor Shines (04-19-2015)

As I mentioned elsewhere, Pete Holmes' "You made it weird" has become a favorite. One that I listed earlier, "Geeks Guide to the Galaxy", otoh, has gone downhill badly. The more interesting of the two hosts only makes occasional panel appearances now, and the remaining host is a terrible, dry, interviewer. I almost never listen now, unless there's a particularly compelling guest.

Anyone have a favorite fantasy baseball podcast?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

20. Likes:

Razor Shines (04-19-2015)

I can't get enough of Bill Burr's MMPC. I love that he has started putting out a second podcast each week.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    How Did This Get Made?
    = me listening to the Congo episode!

23. Likes:

Razor Shines (04-20-2015)

Turn Off Ads?