Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What podcasts do you listen to?

Re: What podcasts do you listen to?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    = me listening to the Congo episode!
    Yes. Lol. The last two are in that same realm of enjoyment, Deep Blue Sea and Lake Placid.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Yes. Lol. The last two are in that same realm of enjoyment, Deep Blue Sea and Lake Placid.
    Which reminds me, we've barely even covered the talking gorilla!

4. Likes:

Razor Shines (04-21-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Which reminds me, we've barely even covered the talking gorilla!
    They gave you a gorilla with a Nintendo Power Glove, what more do you want?

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-19-2015)

If you are a fan of improv humor I cannot recommend highly enough Superego: Forgotten Classics. They take a classic piece of literature which none of the Superego members have read, the main characters and the first and last line of the book and improvise what they think happened. So far they've release Wuthering Heights and The Red Badge of Courage. You do have to download Midroll's new Howl app and go premium. For someone like me, it's completely worth it.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I've just started listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast.

Mind. Blown.

Probably the best podcast I've ever listened to. His casts go on forever (3+ hours for each episode) and when he's done you just want to fire up another one and keep going. Gripping and dramatic yet informative presentation of a wide variety of historical topics ranging from Genghis Khan to Martin Luther to the Spanish American War without any discernible bias. He's got a 6 parter (each episode being 4+ hours) on WWI, for instance. I can't get enough. I definitely recommend this to anyone who has any interest at all in history.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-17-2015),Eric from NC (11-18-2015),marcshoe (11-17-2015),Razor Shines (11-18-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Mind. Blown.

Probably the best podcast I've ever listened to. His casts go on forever (3+ hours for each episode) and when he's done you just want to fire up another one and keep going. Gripping and dramatic yet informative presentation of a wide variety of historical topics ranging from Genghis Khan to Martin Luther to the Spanish American War without any discernible bias. He's got a 6 parter (each episode being 4+ hours) on WWI, for instance. I can't get enough. I definitely recommend this to anyone who has any interest at all in history.
    I devoured Blueprint for Armageddon (WWI) over the course of about 10 days last week. It's fantastic. He focuses not only on the historical events of the time period, but also the contributing factors leading up to the conflict and the long-term political fallout that still resonates today. I think about it often when we have our "understanding the other perspective" debates in the politics forum...

11. Likes:

marcshoe (11-19-2015),Razor Shines (11-18-2015),WrongVerb (11-17-2015)

Regarding sports, I have enjoyed Tony Kornheiser's podcast from espn 980 in DC. Tony is an acquired taste but I enjoy his mix of sports, politics, movies as well as Mr. Tony old man stories. The Mr. Tony tries Uber story was especially good.

I have liked the Buster Olnoy BBTN podcast. I noticed that he and Jason Stark do try to hit more midsize market stories that I assume the TV producers tend to nix.

As others have said, Grantland put together some good podcasts, but I have not tracked where everybody has scattered to. I found Bill Barnwell interesting on the NFL, although a bit of gasbag from time to time.

I also enjoy Rich Eisen's podcast. It used to be web only but now is the rebroadcast of his radio/direct tv show.

I have also enjoyed regarding NPR and WBUR Tom Ashbrook's On Point and the World broadcast that is joint venture with the BBC are both quite good. They are available on the radio but times seem to be all over the place.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric from NC View Post
    As others have said, Grantland put together some good podcasts, but I have not tracked where everybody has scattered to.
    Simmons has relaunched the podcast under HBO. Just search his name and you should find it.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

I might have missed it but does no one else listen to Snap Judgement?
    School's out. What did you expect?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I've been listening to Chewin' It with Kevin Heffernan and Steve Lemme (from Broken Lizard). It's generally light in subject, but funny (not surprising). I'd also note that it's certainly NSFW with some language that would be frowned upon in 99% of workplaces.

16. Likes:

Razor Shines (11-18-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Mind. Blown.

Love it. I already finished his latest, King of Kings and now I have to wait for 4-5 months. I've listened to all the ones that are available on the free feed and I purchased his series "Ghosts of the Osfront" last week.

18. Likes:

marcshoe (11-19-2015),WrongVerb (11-18-2015)

Love it. I already finished his latest, King of Kings and now I have to wait for 4-5 months. I've listened to all the ones that are available on the free feed and I purchased his series "Ghosts of the Osfront" last week.
    That was probably my favorite multi-episode one, although I also loved Punic Nightmares. I first started listening to him several years ago when I found his episode on Cochise, Geronimo, and the Apache wars. I bought the book he talked about during that episode, and I would highly recommend it, if anyone's interested in such things.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

20. Likes:

Razor Shines (11-19-2015),WrongVerb (11-19-2015)

I ran across this post on the av club. Did have a couple of good suggestions regarding podcasts in the article and the comments.

http://www.avclub.com/detail/wtf-fin...4-more--228314

22. Likes:

Razor Shines (11-20-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric from NC View Post
    I ran across this post on the av club. Did have a couple of good suggestions regarding podcasts in the article and the comments.

http://www.avclub.com/detail/wtf-fin...4-more--228314
    I can certainly vouch for Pistol Shrimps Radio....or anything Matt Gourley does for that matter.

24. Likes:

marcshoe (11-21-2015)

I can certainly vouch for Pistol Shrimps Radio....or anything Matt Gourley does for that matter.
    Speaking of whom, his "Halloween" episode of "I was There, Too" with guest P.J. Soles was interesting. Some good stories from both Halloween and Carrie, and a bit about how Rod Stewart tried to get her to not buy the "Rock and Roll High School" jacket because there was only one, and he wanted it.

Last edited by marcshoe; 11-21-2015 at 04:00 AM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

26. Likes:

Razor Shines (11-21-2015)

Turn Off Ads?