Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What podcasts do you listen to?

Re: What podcasts do you listen to?

For the Harry Potter geeks I heartily recommend "Harry Potter and the Sacred Text" and "The West Wing Weekly" is excellent for West Wing nerds like me.

I also listen to
    99% Indivisible
    Jonah Keri,
    NPR Politics
    Crimsoncast(if you like IU there's few things better)
    Bengals Beat
    Politico Pulse Check
    The Gist
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I find myself changing and updating my list a lot. My current favorites are:

Freakonomics
    NPR Planet Money
    NPR Politics
    Point of Inquiry
    Science Vs.
    Pod Save America
    Opening Arguments
    Left, Right, & Center

And one that is growing on me quickly is:

Our Fake History
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

4. Likes:

IndianaRed (04-12-2017)

More Perfect, which is Radiolab's first (?) spinoff. It's all about the Supreme Court and christ on a cracker, every single episode has made me cry. They have done a great job digging down into the human stories behind a lot of cases and justices.

When do you all listen to podcasts? I have a hard time listening to them while doing anything else, i.e., they're a multitasking no-go for me. So I generally only have them on during long car trips which is limiting. I wish I had more time for them.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

6. Likes:

BillDoran (04-10-2017),pedro (04-11-2017),redsmetz (05-01-2017)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    More Perfect, which is Radiolab's first (?) spinoff. It's all about the Supreme Court and christ on a cracker, every single episode has made me cry. They have done a great job digging down into the human stories behind a lot of cases and justices.

When do you all listen to podcasts? I have a hard time listening to them while doing anything else, i.e., they're a multitasking no-go for me. So I generally only have them on during long car trips which is limiting. I wish I had more time for them.
    I listen to them in the car or while I'm wheezing my way through a workout. I also will listen to them in lieu of watching TV.

Oh, and I tend to limit myself to podcasts that come out once or at most twice a week. I'm at the point where I can't even keep up with NPR Marketplace, which used to be a go-to for me on my long commutes.
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 04-10-2017 at 03:56 PM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

"Intercepted," Jeremy Scahill's podcast for The Intercept, is surprisingly entertaining. It's got some humor and music mixed in with the anti-establishment vibe of its host publication. It does a nice job of leavening what can become tedious.

9. Likes:

Tom Servo (04-11-2017)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Pardon My Take
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

11. Likes:

Bacon (03-28-2018),schmidty622 (04-13-2017)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

In the car or in the shower.

Except the Joe Rogan podcast - which I will sometimes listen to while working.

If you haven't listened to The Last Podcast On the Left 4 part series on L Ron Hubbard yet, you're doing the Internet/life wrong.

14. Likes:

Razor Shines (04-11-2017)

What podcasts do you listen to?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    If you haven't listened to The Last Podcast On the Left 4 part series on L Ron Hubbard yet, you're doing the Internet/life wrong.
    I love that Podcast but I have to take months long breaks from it because a lot of their topics are just so horrific.

But yeah, the L Ron Hubbard series is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

16. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-01-2017)

Thanks for the recommendation. I was looking for something new to listen to. I've started listening to podcasts at the start of my morning walk; listening until I meet up with my wife part way through. I also listen as a I walk the few blocks to my office and back up to the house to get my car to head over to the post office. I've been enjoying it overall.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I'm a big fan of The Beatles and I found a fun podcast called A Year With The Beatles in which two guys discuss each Beatles album with each other along with, usually, a third person they invite in. They were classmates in Canada, born around the time the Beatles broke up and became fans when they were teenagers. It was an interesting podcast. They augmented the twelve episodes with a half dozen added ones covering various topics: a couple about B Sides that never made their way to an album (a number of surprising songs never were on an album), another was a tribute to George Martin, and the remaining dealt with various Beatles films or other media.

https://ayearwiththebeatles.podbean.com/
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I've been listening to the S-Town podcast from Serial and This American Life. I wasn't sure what to expect but I have found it incredibly fascinating and have already listened to 6 of the 7 episodes.
    I listened to this this week (I started a job with a 45 minute commute a few months ago and a friend suggested I listen to podcasts, specifically this one). Quite an interesting story, I would recommend it. The past couple of days I've enjoyed discussing it with said friend and a coworker who has listened. Certainly some unanswered questions.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

1. The Infinite Inning w Steven Goldman
    1a. The Poscast with Joe Posnanski and Michael Schur
    3. Baseball America esp when John Manuel is co-hosting
    4. The Ringer mlb podcast w Ben Lindbergh and Michael Bowman
    5. Tony Kornheiser show - mostly for the news and when Howard Fineman is a guest
    6. Wtf w Marc Maron
    7. Fresh Air w Terry Gross
    8. Effectively Wild w Ben Lindbergh and Jeff Sullivan

Starting to get into Black on the Air with Larry Wilmore.

Honorable mention if you have kids under 10 and you're stuck in the car with them: Wow in the World
    Stick to your guns.

I don't have time to annoy everyone with all the podcasts I've started listening to since last time but a great new one is "The Lab" from fivethirtyeight. It's an NBA podcast, they dig into advanced basketball stats.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

22. Likes:

BillDoran (10-10-2017)

Been listening to a bunch of poker podcasts recently

Ante Up Poker Magazine
    The Tournament Poker Edge
    The Official Red Chip Poker Podcast
    Weekly Poker Hand with Jonathan Little
    Full Contact Poker Podcast (Daniel Negreanu's podcast)
    and my favorite Poker in the Ears (The official Poker Stars podcast) (I'm going to be on as a "Super Fan" in a month or two doing a movie trivia quiz)

I also just finished Slate's Slow Burn podcast about Watergate, which was really good.

Turn Off Ads?