Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you find funny?

What do you find funny?

I've have been stuck once again by the realization that I'm the only person I know who doesn't find Jimmy Fallon funny. For me, watching him is like suffering through a really bad high school talent show. This thought started me examining my sense of humor. Here's what I found:

1. I rarely laugh out loud. This likely means something.

2. When I do, it tends to be at dry or absurdist humor. Monty Python, for instance.

3. I like some silly/physical humor, such as the Marx Brothers, but think the vast majority of it is simply mindless.

So I'm curious; what types of humor do others find funny?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What do you find funny?

Louis CK and Maria Bamford

It's hard, I love standup comedy, but I think 99% of it is bad. But when it is good, it's so good.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I find a lot funny.

But I don't find Monty Python funny at all

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-30-2014),BillDoran (07-30-2014),Larkin Fan (07-30-2014),mole44 (07-31-2014),redsfanmia (07-29-2014)

I moved to Australia for a while when I was 18, but even before that, I mostly reacted to dry humour. After being exposed to British comedy in Sydney (including seeing every episode of Fawlty Towers over and over and seeing a double feature of Holy Grail and Life of Brian in the theatre,) the mould was set. And the spelling.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I don't find Jimmy Fallon funny at all, and have a few friends who agree with me, so you're not alone. However, nearly every sitcom that I find funny, gets cancelled almost immediately, and I can't stand the ones that last. So I definitely don't have my finger on then comedy pulse of America.

I generally like humor that is brutal, offensive, and thought provoking. My favorite comedians are Sarah Silverman, Louis CK, Chris Rock, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, and the odd ball in the group, Bill Cosby. I love Cosby because he simply is funny. It doesn't matter what he's talking about, he makes it funny.

My least favorite comedians are the ones that scream and prance around the stage. Dane Cook is the worst example of this, but so many young comedians copy that style, and that's all the have. It gets them laughs from a drunk crowd at a comedy club, so they don't realize that it's just not funny, it's annoying.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I don't find Shakespeare's comedies funny at all, but his tragedies are hilarious.

The Simpsons. At any time, I have a good dozen or so Simpsons quotes going through my head. Certain episodes/lines never stop being funny to me. Even the bad episodes are still a little funny. It's my go-to thing when I need cheering up.

Oh, and elderly people cussing. That's always funny.

10. Likes:

westofyou (07-29-2014)

This is an interesting topic.

I like comedy that is obervational and witty most of all, but I can also appreciate a simple well executed joke.

My favorite comedians are guys like Jim Gaffigan, Brian Regan and Louis CK.

There are a lot of sitcoms I like and they vary in style from shows like Modern Family and Seinfeld to darker comedy like Louis or something like You're the Worst. I also generally like improv and sketch comedy like SNL or Second City.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don't find Jimmy Fallon funny at all, and have a few friends who agree with me, so you're not alone. However, nearly every sitcom that I find funny, gets cancelled almost immediately, and I can't stand the ones that last. So I definitely don't have my finger on then comedy pulse of America.

I generally like humor that is brutal, offensive, and thought provoking. My favorite comedians are Sarah Silverman, Louis CK, Chris Rock, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, and the odd ball in the group, Bill Cosby. I love Cosby because he simply is funny. It doesn't matter what he's talking about, he makes it funny.

My least favorite comedians are the ones that scream and prance around the stage. Dane Cook is the worst example of this, but so many young comedians copy that style, and that's all the have. It gets them laughs from a drunk crowd at a comedy club, so they don't realize that it's just not funny, it's annoying.
    I agree with most of yours. Don't like Fallon. I honestly don't find Conan all that funny on his show, but I've listened to him twice on Jimmy Pardo's podcast and I thought he was hysterical both times.

Dane Cook doesn't do it for me but I can admit that he's a talented performer on stage and I can appreciate that, the guys that copy his style and are less talented are the worst.

Jimmy Pardo is probably currently atop my favorite comedian list. Which I recently took a buddy to his comedy show and my friend didn't care for Pardo's act (or lack there of) at all.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Louis CK and Maria Bamford

It's hard, I love standup comedy, but I think 99% of it is bad. But when it is good, it's so good.
    Maria Bamford's latest special on Netflix was pretty great.

14. Likes:

Redsfaithful (07-30-2014)

I find some things from Monty Python funny (but not eversything). I like Tim Minchin (great music aswell), Jimmy Carr, Ricky Gervais, Patton Oswalt... some german guys aswell but you won´t know them anyway
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Maria Bamford's latest special on Netflix was pretty great.
    Is that the one that's filmed in her living room with only her parents as the audience? That was amazing (and uncomfortable).

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

I love to laugh. I believe I have a very good appreciation for humor and have been complimented on my wit. George Carlin will sit atop my list of favorites forever, but there is plenty of his material that doesn't strike me as all that funny. Entertaining, yes - but I don't laugh at everything he's ever said. In that same respect, sometimes I laugh at Jimmy Fallon, sometimes I don't. Their styles of comedy are very different, but that doesn't mean I'm not entertained.

Also, I really, really love Family Guy. Maybe it's because we represent the same generation, but Seth MacFarlane has definitely struck a chord with me. It's crude and stupid humor, but I laugh at every single episode. In full disclosure, I refused to watch it for many years until my friend (and my son) finally convinced me. I was reformed.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Is that the one that's filmed in her living room with only her parents as the audience? That was amazing (and uncomfortable).
    Yeah it is.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

I really like absurd comedy.

Mr. Show is hysterical to me while most of my friends don't "get it," and think it's a stupid show.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

20. Likes:

marcshoe (07-30-2014),westofyou (07-30-2014),WildcatFan (08-05-2014)

Turn Off Ads?