Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014-15 NBA Sternless Season...

Re: 2014-15 NBA Sternless Season...

RIP Thunder
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nice bounce back by Cleveland tonight against Chicago. The Eastern Conference Finals might be epic this year.

So, I'm at the Cavs/Blazers game last night, and in the first two minutes it was clear the game was over before it started. Why? Because it was plainly obvious that Kyrie Irving was going to get his shots. He had zero interest of involving anybody else. His only agenda was that he put up as many shots as he could. He could care less about his teammates. He could care less if he was putting up a poor percentage shot. He could care less if he was taking shots in the flow of the contest. He could care less if he was making them or missing them.

Kyrie Irving does not like being the third banana on this team. It's not a problem that will ever go away. LeBron and Love are such ultimate team players, that the best thing that could happen for Cleveland would be for Irving to have a season-ending injury. He won't embrace the team concept (he never did in his previous years in the NBA). Great teams win Championships. Great players don't unless they are on a great team.

LeBron got Bosh and Wade to buy in. It's going to be much harder with Irving. The first half will be a disaster for them. The second half should be interesting. In the end, I expect LeBron to win out and Irving to be put in his place as the third banana on this team. Perhaps Marion and Miller will have a sit-down with him and tell him how it is and how it's going to be. But, it's pretty clear that right now, Irving wants no part of it.

Oh, yeah. Irving single-handedly lost the game for them, allowing the Cavs to be blown out missing 14 of 16 shots before getting a garbage time lay-in bucket. He also got torched, outhustled and outplayed by Lillard the entire night.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

34 points, 0 assists for Irving tonight.

They lost to the Jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Smokey View Post
    34 points, 0 assists for Irving tonight.

They lost to the Jazz.
    Worse than that. The team had six assists. Utah had 26 assists. When the ball doesn't get shared and other people don't touch it, nobody wants to play Defense. Irving is a terrible basketball player. He has zero concept of chemistry and team play, two items necessary to win a Championship. It gets old running up and down the floor without touching the ball. Utah shot .506 while Cleveland shot .417. Cleveland again got outrebounded...this time 41-30. The only reason they were in this game at all is because the refs continually destroyed Utah's rhythm by giving the Cavs 40 free throw attempts to Utah's 22. Utah would have destroyed them otherwise leading by 9 after one and by 11 at halftime. Would have been more than 20 if not for the refs. Same thing happened the night before against the Blazers. At one point in the Blazers/Cavs game, Marion shoved Thomas Robinson, a clear technical and possible ejection for Marion. The two were wrestling for position under the basket for a rebound and the stronger Robinson won, enraging Marion, who then shoved Robinson with both hands pushing him about ten feet backwards. Robinson did nothing. The play was sent to New York for review, where the NBA, not the game officials, decided that Robinson should get an on-court foul and a double-technical should be issued.

The NBA will do everything in their power to get LeBron and the Cavs into the NBA Finals this season regardless of how terrible they play the game. Again, it's not LeBron, Love or the rest of the crew....it's Irving,...all by himself, that is sabotaging this team. The players are going to get sick of it.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 11-06-2014 at 11:08 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

7. Likes:

Big Red Smokey (11-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    RIP Thunder
    Indiana has it just as bad, if not worse. At least Durant and Westbrook will be back after missing about a quarter of the season.

I think the Cavs are showing some warts and Irving is playing selfishly, but take a step back and realize it has been 4 games. They will be OK. Lebron needs to sit Irving down and tell him he is on a team of superstars, though - time to distribute the ball.

10. Likes:

Razor Shines (11-06-2014)

Cavs shot 40 FTs to Utah's 22 and still got beat... And that was a terrible call that gave Lebron 3 FTs at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think the Cavs are showing some warts and Irving is playing selfishly, but take a step back and realize it has been 4 games. They will be OK. Lebron needs to sit Irving down and tell him he is on a team of superstars, though - time to distribute the ball.
    Has Irving ever been a passing point guard tho? Seems like he'd be better suited as a 2 guard.

Also, that was a great shot by Hayward.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Cavs shot 40 FTs to Utah's 22 and still got beat... And that was a terrible call that gave Lebron 3 FTs at the end.

Has Irving ever been a passing point guard tho? Seems like he'd be better suited as a 2 guard.

Also, that was a great shot by Hayward.
    Yes. LeBron traveled, says "Shaq".

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Worse than that. The team had six assists. Utah had 26 assists. When the ball doesn't get shared and other people don't touch it, nobody wants to play Defense. Irving is a terrible basketball player. He has zero concept of chemistry and team play, two items necessary to win a Championship. It gets old running up and down the floor without touching the ball. Utah shot .506 while Cleveland shot .417. Cleveland again got outrebounded...this time 41-30. The only reason they were in this game at all is because the refs continually destroyed Utah's rhythm by giving the Cavs 40 free throw attempts to Utah's 22. Utah would have destroyed them otherwise leading by 9 after one and by 11 at halftime. Would have been more than 20 if not for the refs. Same thing happened the night before against the Blazers. At one point in the Blazers/Cavs game, Marion shoved Thomas Robinson, a clear technical and possible ejection for Marion. The two were wrestling for position under the basket for a rebound and the stronger Robinson won, enraging Marion, who then shoved Robinson with both hands pushing him about ten feet backwards. Robinson did nothing. The play was sent to New York for review, where the NBA, not the game officials, decided that Robinson should get an on-court foul and a double-technical should be issued.

The NBA will do everything in their power to get LeBron and the Cavs into the NBA Finals this season regardless of how terrible they play the game. Again, it's not LeBron, Love or the rest of the crew....it's Irving,...all by himself, that is sabotaging this team. The players are going to get sick of it.
    Accurate observation.

LeBron, Irving exchange words - ESPN

Irving hasn't had an assist in more than six quarters, and he's taken 36 shots in that span. The Cavs tied a franchise-record low with six assists, four of them from James, against the Jazz.
    Haha, honestly, if Irving keeps this up they will have to trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Haha, honestly, if Irving keeps this up they will have to trade him.

I assume this is from the ESPN article. I'll look at it in a second...just wanted to get this in.

The Head Coach apparently laid it on the line to Irving and told him this is how it's going to be...

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

Cavs coach David Blatt reportedly told the Cavaliers players that LeBron James and Kevin Love should "eat first" in the offense.

If true, it's astounding that Blatt even needed to express such a sentiment to a team that has been putrid since LeBron left originally. Regardless, the Cavs offense is very much a mess right now, and Cleveland would be better off going through their two best players in order to get back on track.

Source: Akron Beacon-Journal

I'll be at the Mavs/Blazers game tonight. Should get a good look at the new Mavs with Parsons and Chandler. Parsons is the only player in the NBA last season, besides LeBron and Durant, who outplayed Batum at SF. Batum struggles against him, and when Batum struggles, the rest of the team struggles. He's their glue. Like Parsons and LeBron, he does all the stuff that's not in the boxscore.

I'll have to catch the Browns/Bengals on replay.

17. Likes:

BillDoran (11-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I'll be at the Mavs/Blazers game tonight. Should get a good look at the new Mavs with Parsons and Chandler. Parsons is the only player in the NBA last season, besides LeBron and Durant, who outplayed Batum at SF. Batum struggles against him, and when Batum struggles, the rest of the team struggles. He's their glue. Like Parsons and LeBron, he does all the stuff that's not in the boxscore.

I'll have to catch the Browns/Bengals on replay.
    I'm not sure I entirely agree with your hypothesis re: Batum (i.e. he makes the team go), but it certainly is a scary proposition as I don't know that I could name a half-dozen more streaky players in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I'm not sure I entirely agree with your hypothesis re: Batum (i.e. he makes the team go), but it certainly is a scary proposition as I don't know that I could name a half-dozen more streaky players in the league.
    Batum would "shut down" whenever he had something too emotional for him. That has disappeared, pretty much. For this season, he's intentionally not shooting the ball. He's passing up wide-open shots and trying to make another pass to keep others involved. He's too unselfish, which he's always been. He does everything well. If he wanted to score, he could put up 30 a night. If he concentrated on rebounding he could get 20 a night. His 5 X 5 game last year was a rare NBA feat. Everyone wishes he'd shoot more, but for now, he seems to want to get the assist over the basket. He is easily the best passer on the team...maybe after Blake. He didn't play in the 4th tonight and just missed a triple-double with 8/9/9 (a dunk was taken from him when Lopez was whistled for a mystery foul after wailing of the arms by Chandler.

Portland crushed Dallas tonight, and now they lead the NBA in Opponent's FG percentage, after finishing Top-10 in Defensive Metrics during the second half of last season. I've always said that it would take about a year-and-a-half for Lopez to be on the team for the Defense to gel, though the Starters still don't have enough "energy". That has been infused by Thomas Robinson this season, out of the rotation for the season it appeared after the Blazers failed to pick up his $4.8M option, but he's simply proven to be too good to leave out of games. Kaman is having the best season of his career. His Defense has been outstanding and his Offense and Rebounding reliable. Portland's Starters will get to rest this season.

Dallas looks like they are going to need a bit of time for Chandler, Parsons, Nelson, Ellis and Dirk to get their Defensive assignments straight. Several times guys simply got lost and left uncontested shots at the basket to the Blazers. As they get it going, though, they are going to be even tougher to beat in the playoffs than last season, and it took the Spurs seven games to put them away.

Like last season, Portland is still struggling handling the ball. They are susceptible to ball pressure as demonstrated so beautifully by San Antonio last year in the 2nd Round. Losing Mo Williams and replacing him with Steve Blake was a wash in the ball-handling area. Batum is improved, but Matthews' hands are too small to be an effective ball-handler. The Blazers chose not to have a third Point Guard on their roster this season, something that could easily come back to bite them, as Earl Watson won two games for them last season.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 11-07-2014 at 04:21 AM.

Turn Off Ads?