Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: 8/13/14 Reds vs BoSox Day Game

Re: 8/13/14 Reds vs BoSox Day Game

Ramon was prolly trying to stab at the ball and bunt it at the 3rd baseman. It obviously didn't work out, but I'm not that worked up about it. We're not in the position we are because we suck at bunting or that we bunt too much, we're .500 because we're a bad offensive team. Failing to get a run out of 2 on and no out is not surprising.

2. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (08-13-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I just don't concern myself terribly with managers because they are just about all the same. You fire Price tomorrow and put in Riggleman as manager. Riggleman pinch hits some guy here and overuses some pitcher there and the team runs into outs and then it's "Good god, he needs to go". And so on and so on. Because there simply isn't some magical guy out there who will make every decision you think he should make. I disagreed with Dusty on some things (mostly when it came to that damn playoff series against SF) and I disagree with Price on some things, but I don't give myself aneurysms over their decisions.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

Always Red (08-13-2014),cumberlandreds (08-14-2014),KittyDuran (08-13-2014),Stray (08-13-2014),toledodan (08-13-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I just don't concern myself terribly with managers because they are just about all the same. You fire Price tomorrow and put in Riggleman as manager. Riggleman pinch hits some guy here and overuses some pitcher there and the team runs into outs and then it's "Good god, he needs to go". And so on and so on. Because there simply isn't some magical guy out there who will make every decision you think he should make. I disagreed with Dusty on some things (mostly when it came to that damn playoff series against SF) and I disagree with Price on some things, but I don't give myself aneurysms over their decisions.
    I agree with you.. The 5% chance Price would actually be baseball intelligent was worth the excitement and optimism for me.

The reality of most baseball managers idiocy is a harsh slap in the face. Optimism was completely pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I agree with you.. The 5% chance Price would actually be baseball intelligent was worth the excitement and optimism for me.

The reality of most baseball managers idiocy is a harsh slap in the face. Optimism was completely pointless.
    I wouldn't say they are idiots. They just aren't innovators.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    ORL #28.

Same as it ever was...

Same as it ever was...

Same as it ever was...
    Stop Making Sense
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

9. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (08-13-2014),KittyDuran (08-13-2014),Tom Servo (08-13-2014)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I remember a quote from Price earlier this year on managing. It was something along the lines of if managers made that big of a difference, they'd be the ones signing 100+ mil contracts and not the players.
    That's a weak line coming from a guy that just signed on to manage, IMO.

He's paid...pretty well, too....to make a difference.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    That's a weak line coming from a guy that just signed on to manage, IMO.

He's paid...pretty well, too....to make a difference.
    It was very early in the year, I don't think he was deflecting responsibility at the time. Don't really remember when it was tho.

It was more of an observation. You know, players play the game.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Ramon was prolly trying to stab at the ball and bunt it at the 3rd baseman. It obviously didn't work out, but I'm not that worked up about it. We're not in the position we are because we suck at bunting or that we bunt too much, we're .500 because we're a bad offensive team. Failing to get a run out of 2 on and no out is not surprising.
    I was actually going to be pleasantly surprised if they DID score there.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

I remember a quote from Price earlier this year on managing. It was something along the lines of if managers made that big of a difference, they'd be the ones signing 100+ mil contracts and not the players.

Not that managers don't matter, some of his calls have been bad imo, but the responsibility to execute is still on the players. If Ramon gets that bunt down we tie the game on Hamilton's flyout.
    Sparky said that Managers can't win games. They can only lose them.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

14. Likes:

villain612 (08-13-2014),WVRedsFan (08-14-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Sparky said that Managers can't win games. They can only lose them.
    Now that I think about it, he was 100% correct,
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?