Thread: 8.20.14 Reds @ Cardinals

Re: 8.20.14 Reds @ Cardinals

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Integrity to the game of baseball.
    Name one team that has shown they care about "integrity" more than winning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    And this is how one continually ends up on the wrong side of player evaluation discussions.....being dogmatic and unwilling to learn.
    lol. I thought the meme on me was that I have no convictions, and argue anything just for gits and shiggles
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Well Walt was part of the A's and the Cardinals PED teams, so you're probably right.

I actually wouldn't have as much of a problem with signing Cruz to the deal he got, because it reflected his worth after being convicted of PED use. The contract he signed was a form of punishment for breaking the rules. Peralta was not signed at the "right" price. He got what any clean player would have gotten on the open market.

Rewarding cheaters for cheating. Then Cardinal Way.
    Cruz was punished for being a 34 yo midtier hitting corner outfielder with a qualifying offer but who cant play a lick of defense to save his life.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Again, not a $45M difference in supply and demand.
    You're really twisting the numbers in a disingenuous way. Cruz is not being paid $8 million over 4 years. He's being paid $8 million this year. He'll likely make at least $30 million more over the next 3 years after the season he's had. So that $45 million difference will drop to about $15 million.

lol. I thought the meme on me was that I have no convictions, and argue anything just for gits and shiggles
    No, that's why others might doubt your sincerity not why the arguments you actually trust are less compelling.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Nice seeing Junior in a Reds uniform again, especially the vests. Hall of Famers for sure.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    You're really twisting the numbers in a disingenuous way. Cruz is not being $8 million over 4 years. He's being paid $8 million this year. He'll likely make at least $30 million more over the next 3 years after the season he's had. So that $45 million difference will drop to about $15 million.
    But he didn't get an offer over one year, so that had to be figured in the equation. And Peralta is 32, so it's not like age was a factor.

No twisting of the numbers. One guy got offered $8M, the other $54M. If Cruz was really worth $30M, he would have been offered $30M. He wasn't. He's was considered worth $8M.

No, that's why others might doubt your sincerity not why the arguments you actually trust are less compelling.
    Okay, so I'm being insincere about being wrong? I guess that means I'm actually right about what you think I'm wrong about

But he didn't get an offer over one year, so that had to be figured in the equation. And Peralta is 32, so it's not like age was a factor.

No twisting of the numbers. One guy got offered $8M, the other $54M. If Cruz was really worth $30M, he would have been offered $30M. He wasn't. He's was considered worth $8M.
    You don't think he's going to be offered more after this year? Peralta can play both sides of the ball, something Cruz can't do.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    The Reds are bad. That is all.
    Even Cueto is bad today, he must have sat too close to JJ.

Quote Originally Posted by LewGra View Post
    You don't think he's going to be offered more after this year? Peralta can play both sides of the ball, something Cruz can't do.
    Cruz will get offered a nice deal this offseason. Because he's paid his price with this deal.

Peralta is a better player than Cruz, no doubt, but that doesn't explain why one got a four year deal at full market value, while the other got a 1 year deal for under market value. Choo had a qualifying offer, and got 7 years, so we know it's not the qualifying offer.

Again, not a $45M difference in supply and demand.
    Hmmm a 34 yo corner outfielder with a qualifying offer, massive negative defensive value and a roughly .350 wOBA bat versus a shortstop who is 2 years younger, plays elite defense and has a roughly .350 wOBA bat.....

The difference in contract status must have something to do with PEDs even though both have links to PEDs.

Cheery place here today. Everyone is in a great mood.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Cruz got a one year deal because there is no shortage of corner outfielders. Peralta got a multi-year deal, not as some sort of reward for cheating, but because there is a shortage of good shortstops, so that's what it took to get him signed. If the Cardinals didn't make that offer, he would have signed somewhere else. All the stuff you're saying about "integrity" is nonsense.

Hmmm a 34 yo corner outfielder with a qualifying offer, massive negative defensive value and a roughly .350 wOBA bat versus a shortstop who is 2 years younger, plays elite defense and has a roughly .350 wOBA bat.....

The difference in contract status must have something to do with PEDs even though both have links to PEDs.
    Are you describing Choo or Cruz with the first example? Because Choo is very similar to Cruz, with a qualifying offer, and he got 7 years $130M.

Turn Off Ads?