Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Jack & Diane

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Jack & Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    My wife's a big Counting Crows fan and went to see Counting Crows-Live. She was quite upset that although she thought she was just going to miss half the opening act, she found out Counting Crows was the first band of a twinbill and she missed much of their set. The second act was of course Live.

She later explained that she thought the "Live" was just the description of the concert. I replied, "Well that doesn't make any sense. you're buying a ticket to a concert, it's pretty self explanatory that the concert is Live." "What are they going to do, go out and play a tape?"

She didn't talk to me for a while after that.
    In my radio days I did a show out at Earlham College, and I would routinely struggle with back/front selling the "live" version of "Pain Lies on the Riverside..."

"This is live Live..."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Chris Cornell mentioned that Eleven were their friends and they were not pleased with the treatment they received from the crowd. They played a very short show (about 8 songs IIRC), dropped their guitars (with volumes knobs still cranked) and left the stage with god-awful feedback screaming through the arena for a good 5 minutes.
    That must have really sucked at the time, but man that's a funny story now.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

A guy I work with years ago worked for a catering company that catered a party at Johnny Mellencamps house. He demanded in his contract with the catering company that if he caught anyone staring at him they were removed from the property immediately.

I also cracked up when I read last month that one of the reasons Johnny and Meg Ryan broke up was she was a NY girl and he couldnt stand NY. He said something like he hated walking around and seeing so many homeless people. This is the same guy who cares so much for the poor and down trodden and who also charges like $80 a ticket for his concerts but cant stand to be in a town with so many homeless...lol
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

5. Likes:

Razor Shines (10-01-2014)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    A guy I work with years ago worked for a catering company that catered a party at Johnny Mellencamps house. He demanded in his contract with the catering company that if he caught anyone staring at him they were removed from the property immediately.

I also cracked up when I read last month that one of the reasons Johnny and Meg Ryan broke up was she was a NY girl and he couldnt stand NY. He said something like he hated walking around and seeing so many homeless people. This is the same guy who cares so much for the poor and down trodden and who also charges like $80 a ticket for his concerts but cant stand to be in a town with so many homeless...lol
    I was reading an interview with his former long-time drummer Kenny Aronoff. He politely paints a pretty rough picture of John Mellencamp.

The drum solo in "Jack and Diane" was written on the spot by Aronoff, who honestly felt his job was on the line. Constantly.

Some of these artists suffer from Marlon Brandon syndrome, where they are the weirdest of the weird, jerks, they treat some people in their lives terribly, but the world would be less without their art.

As an autograph collector, I have pictures of people on my wall that are pretty sinister human beings in some regards.

It does strike me as odd sometimes. I guess I rationalize it as I don't like John Mellencamp or Marlon Brando or whoever bercasue they are great people.

I like the art, and the rest is just unaffecting gossip.

7. Likes:

George Anderson (10-01-2014),Razor Shines (10-02-2014)

My experience with Mellencamp was back when I worked as an usher at Blossom Music Center in college. He had his road crew wiping down the stage with white cotton cloth before the show and we had much stricter rules of conduct and crowd control for that show. The higher ups made it sound like people could get fired if there were any screw ups. We thought he was a big jerk.

During the show, I was stationed at one of the aisles leading to center stage when a young woman came up to me and shoved something in my hand. I look down and it's her bra. She said she wanted through so she could give "Johnny" something (implying underpants). I told her, "Trust me, I don't think he'd like that." She made a pouty face at me and when I refused, she went to try her luck elsewhere.

In retrospect, based on the wiping down of the stage and all the strict rules we were under, I've always wondered if John Cougar Mellencamp is a germophobe.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?