Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jack & Diane

Re: Jack & Diane

The Lonesome Jubilee still comes up on my iPod pretty often.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Likes:

Dom Heffner (09-27-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

"Ain't Even Done With the Night" is my favorite. When his band would wear the pink tuxedos and snap their fingers while John was dressed like something out of the 1950's...oh man.

That song never gets old for me.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 09-27-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Pink Houses is a great song
    It's a metaphor for interracial gay relationships. Cougar definitely caved in to the record execs on this one by changing "black and white gay men holding hands publicly" to "little pink houses for you and me".

Truthfully though radio rock is replete with examples of record companies altering an artist's vision. For instance, few realize that Toto's "Africa" was originally titled, "Raisor".
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-01-2014),Bob Sheed (09-29-2014),gilpdawg (09-28-2014),Rojo (09-29-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I wonder how true this story is. Maybe's striving for some cred in his dotage? Next he'll be telling us the original title was Adam and Steve.
    I am skeptical when someone comes out 20 years later and says "Song X wasn't about who I said it was all these years, it is about Y." I have no reason not to believe him, but why did he wait 22 years to release this little diddy?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Yeah. Maybe if I wasn't a Hoosier I could stand him, but no. Not that it's the most important factor but I saw him in Bloomington once, he's a jackass.

And yeah, I realize that's not fair, but his general countenance aside I can't stand hearing his music.
    I like his music but I cannot stand him as a person. He represents nothing about small town Indiana which he likes to say he does.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I am skeptical when someone comes out 20 years later and says "Song X wasn't about who I said it was all these years, it is about Y." I have no reason not to believe him, but why did he wait 22 years to release this little diddy?
    $

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    $
    How? It isn't like he is going to sell more songs? If he is going on tour maybe he is doing it to drum up interest, but I don't see how this makes him any more money. Maybe it gets him publicity, but to what extent. Mellencamp has been an after though for a long time now.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I like his music but I cannot stand him as a person. He represents nothing about small town Indiana which he likes to say he does.
    Most people don't stand up to scrutiny...it would definitely be tough to see this multi millionaire as a farm boy.

On the other hand, the video for "Rain on the Scarecrow" opened up with three farm boys, and the one that doesn't say anything, standing on the far left, I believe, now THAT is small town Indiana lol...

I joke, but that guy always cracked me up.

How? It isn't like he is going to sell more songs? If he is going on tour maybe he is doing it to drum up interest, but I don't see how this makes him any more money. Maybe it gets him publicity, but to what extent. Mellencamp has been an after though for a long time now.
    I meant the reason he changed the song in the first place was for money. He sold out.

For a Level Playing Field

Yeah. Maybe if I wasn't a Hoosier I could stand him, but no. Not that it's the most important factor but I saw him in Bloomington once, he's a jackass.
    A few weeks ago I finished reading the biography of Ann & Nancy Wilson from Heart. Their short story about Mellencamp stuck with me. A very taboo thing to do in the music world lol. The below Rolling Stone story failed to mention that the Wilson sisters called him a known arrogant SOB in the music industry. There have been many of those in that industry.

In the fall of 1982, Heart had a brush with the legendary ego of John Cougar Mellencamp. The young singer was opening the band's tour behind Private Audition, Heart's first album that wasn't an immediate million-seller, when Mellencamp's "Jack and Diane" went to number one. He came to the band with a proposition: "Seeing as your album is a turkey and mine is a hit, care to swap places?" The Wilson sisters declined, reminding him that the tour had sold out before he'd even been announced as the opening act.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz3Ekw2BptU

14. Likes:

Razor Shines (09-29-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    A few weeks ago I finished reading the biography of Ann & Nancy Wilson from Heart. Their short story about Mellencamp stuck with me. A very taboo thing to do in the music world lol. The below Rolling Stone story failed to mention that the Wilson sisters called him a known arrogant SOB in the music industry. There have been many of those in that industry.
    Lol. I'm sure all the fans that bought tickets to see Heart would have been thrilled.

For the most part I'm "I don't care if the artist is a jerk, just entertain me" guy but I just have heard too many stories about Johnny Cougar. I know people that grew up idolizing him and were just destroyed when they met him. It shouldn't matter but when I don't much care for the music in the first place...it kinda matters.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Lol. I'm sure all the fans that bought tickets to see Heart would have been thrilled.

For the most part I'm "I don't care if the artist is a jerk, just entertain me" guy but I just have heard too many stories about Johnny Cougar. I know people that grew up idolizing him and were just destroyed when they met him. It shouldn't matter but when I don't much care for the music in the first place...it kinda matters.
    Never meet your heroes, it almost always leads to disappointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

17. Likes:

Joseph (09-30-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    When I was in college I was a pretty big Linkin Park fan. They were playing at the Newport Music Hall in Columbus and a few of my buddies decided to go. Little did we know what Linkin Park would be the opening act for both HEAD PE and Papa Roach. Kinda funny when you think about who opened up for who way back when.

When I was in college I was a pretty big Linkin Park fan. They were playing at the Newport Music Hall in Columbus and a few of my buddies decided to go. Little did we know what Linkin Park would be the opening act for both HEAD PE and Papa Roach. Kinda funny when you think about who opened up for who way back when.
    Ha, ain't that the truth.

Around 2001-2002 I saw John Mayer open up for The Wallflowers at The House of Blues in Myrtle Beach, SC.

He was terrible. This was right around the time "No Such Thing" came out, so he was brand new. The guitar skill was obviously there, though.

For a Level Playing Field

I know we have taken a turn here, but good stuff. I once went to see 80's hair metal band RATT at Dayton's Hara Arena (circa 1986?). RATT was big at the time and was the reason I went to the concert. The opening act for RATT that night? Some relatively unknown hair-metal group called Bon Jovi.

Turn Off Ads?