Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jack & Diane

Re: Jack & Diane

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    The opening act for RATT that night? Some relatively unknown hair-metal group called Bon Jovi.
    And now you know.........the rest of the story.

Page 2.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Ha, ain't that the truth.

Around 2001-2002 I saw John Mayer open up for The Wallflowers at The House of Blues in Myrtle Beach, SC.

He was terrible. This was right around the time "No Such Thing" came out, so he was brand new. The guitar skill was obviously there, though.
    At that point he was only rabidly sleeping with B- groupies, so the music was suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    At that point he was only rabidly sleeping with B- groupies, so the music was suffering.
    I'd go out on a limb and say he's probably never had any trouble there, even before he was famous. He meets both requirements for casual and frequent sexy times with the ladies.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I'd go out on a limb and say he's probably never had any trouble there, even before he was famous. He meets both requirements for casual and frequent sexy times with the ladies.
    I think John Mayer would have been pummeled by the third period shop class at my high school.

I think John Mayer would have been pummeled by the third period shop class at my high school.
    Probably Justin Beiber and Davy Jones too.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Don't forget Prince.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I am skeptical when someone comes out 20 years later and says "Song X wasn't about who I said it was all these years, it is about Y." I have no reason not to believe him, but why did he wait 22 years to release this little diddy?
    I'm not sure he planned to talk about that last week. It came out during his interview with Howard Stern on Monday.

He cannot remember how it was originally written, though, and had even forgotten the story until he came across the original lyrics written somewhere (this all according to his interview with Stern). In the context of the song, replacing football star with African American (would it have been Negro back then?) makes no sense: Jackie gonna be A, African American; Diane's the debutante of the back seat of Jackie's car.

9. Likes:

Razor Shines (09-30-2014)

First concert I ever saw was Skid Row. Opening act that night....Soundgarden. I now tell people the first band I ever saw in concert was Soundgarden. Its not a lie, I just didn't go to see them when I bought the tickets.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I need a lover is on my Slacker favs
    That's my favorite of his songs. Pink Houses (as you mentioned) is another fav. After that it gets dicey. Authority Song, maybe. Cherry Bomb. Hurt So Good. That's probably my top five from him.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Don't forget Prince.
    THE musical genius of the '80s.

Madonna and Axl Rose are a distant 2nd and 3rd.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'm not sure he planned to talk about that last week. It came out during his interview with Howard Stern on Monday.

He cannot remember how it was originally written, though, and had even forgotten the story until he came across the original lyrics written somewhere (this all according to his interview with Stern). In the context of the song, replacing football star with African American (would it have been Negro back then?) makes no sense: Jackie gonna be A, African American; Diane's the debutante of the back seat of Jackie's car.

Yeah my BS alarm is going off for this story also.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    First concert I ever saw was Skid Row. Opening act that night....Soundgarden. I now tell people the first band I ever saw in concert was Soundgarden. Its not a lie, I just didn't go to see them when I bought the tickets.
    I once went to a Soundgarden concert w/ a band called Eleven as the opening band. My buddies and I were really into Soundgarden and even played a couple of their songs in a bar band I was in at the time. Needless to say we were fired up to see them for the first time. The opening band, Eleven, was a three person band and I had no idea who they were even though I knew a lot of bands at the time. Evidently the rest of the Dayton crowd did not know them either and were also anxious to see the headliners. Eleven played about 3 songs and were booed loudly. The singer/keyboardist started bad-mouthing the crowd after the third song when a bottle flew past his head (thank goodness he was not hit by it). I felt bad for them. After the bottle flew past him the entire band flipped off the crowd and their drummer (who was Jack Irons from the original Red Hot Chili Peppers and then the drummer in Pearl Jam) mooned the crowd. Well Soundgarden took the stage after their crew readied the stage for them. Chris Cornell mentioned that Eleven were their friends and they were not pleased with the treatment they received from the crowd. They played a very short show (about 8 songs IIRC), dropped their guitars (with volumes knobs still cranked) and left the stage with god-awful feedback screaming through the arena for a good 5 minutes. Then the arena lights came on... show over! No encore(s) and obviously an abbreviated set. PAYBACK! Man, we were bummed. The only other time I saw a band booed off the stage was Autograph ("Turn Up the Radio" lol) opening for Van Halen (1984 tour).

15. Likes:

Joseph (10-01-2014)

My wife's a big Counting Crows fan and went to see Counting Crows-Live. She was quite upset that although she thought she was just going to miss half the opening act, she found out Counting Crows was the first band of a twinbill and she missed much of their set. The second act was of course Live.

She later explained that she thought the "Live" was just the description of the concert. I replied, "Well that doesn't make any sense. you're buying a ticket to a concert, it's pretty self explanatory that the concert is Live." "What are they going to do, go out and play a tape?"

She didn't talk to me for a while after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

17. Likes:

Razor Shines (09-30-2014),RedFanAlways1966 (09-30-2014),RichRed (10-01-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    My wife's a big Counting Crows fan and went to see Counting Crows-Live. She was quite upset that although she thought she was just going to miss half the opening act, she found out Counting Crows was the first band of a twinbill and she missed much of their set. The second act was of course Live.

She later explained that she thought the "Live" was just the description of the concert. I replied, "Well that doesn't make any sense. you're buying a ticket to a concert, it's pretty self explanatory that the concert is Live." "What are they going to do, go out and play a tape?"

She didn't talk to me for a while after that.
    I love this story. I would not have given my wife an explanation that involved "that doesn't make any sense". lol.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    THE musical genius of the '80s.

Madonna and Axl Rose are a distant 2nd and 3rd.
    Prince is so overrated for me. I like Madonna and Axl...

Purple Rain is awesome, after that it just goes downhill.

I'll give him that When Doves Cry is an incredible piece of work..it's a top single of all time...but when I look at the whole body of work, I don't get all the praise.

20. Likes:

redsfanmia (10-02-2014)

Turn Off Ads?