Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: League of Denial: The NFL's Concussion Crisis | FRONTLINE

Re: League of Denial: The NFL's Concussion Crisis | FRONTLINE

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The Kneeling controversy serves the NFL well so people won't talk about CTE.
    Salient point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Likes:

Cooper (09-05-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I went through a "no football" phase as a knee jerk reaction to the concussion data. I ended up backing off as I realized it would be difficult to be consistent with the "too risky" reason. Where would I draw that line? Would I not let them out of my sight so no one ends up pregnant? No license for them because teen drivers are high risk drivers. No amusement parks, people have died on those rides, if they didn't die in a vehicle en route to the amusement park.

Also, athletics all have significant risks. Football is not the only contact sport. I had two lacrosse players, and they both took some nasty hits from head hunters. Headers in soccer are now known to be a risk for head trauma. Basketball and getting undercut? Hockey? Self-evident. Baseball and the bean ball or liner back through the box. Heck my daughter is playing volleyball, and some spikes I've seen could do some harm to a head, and they have no protection. Unless your sticking to badmitton, tennis, synchronized swimming, or just saying no to all athletics, zeroing in on football is a bit like anti-smoking focus...because that is the only health risk people ingest their bodies with.

I now have a senior HS football player, his first season was freshman year. There is some concussion risk in HS football, but the speed of the game greatly reduces that risk. The concussions my kids have had, well one kid has had a couple, and they have been accidents around the home, fell on a sidewalk and banged her head, and banged her head on a wall in her home too hard. She should wear a helmet at all times, lol.
    Last edited by traderumor; 08-28-2018 at 02:38 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

5. Likes:

Chip R (08-29-2018)

Not saying I disagree with points there TR, but my kids do play tennis, for just this reason. And I'd be 100% fine if they never drove a car in their lives.

I think when you're deep inside of something it's really easy to forget how risky day to day things really are. Driving is routine and so we don't think about 50k dead a year, and more maimed. I can't remember where but I remember reading someone who pointed out that you could dramatically lower both of those stats if we all wore five point harness seat belts and helmets when we drove.

That idea is laughable right? Who would do that? And yet, it would make many deadly crashes survivable.

I know that the human brain is bad at judging risk, and so what I mostly try to think about are situations that can have catastrophic end results and yet are easily avoidable. Football seems like one of those to me, but we'll probably let him decide for himself nonetheless. Still have a few years yet though.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Again, the NFL has done a great job in getting people to believe you get CTE (or there's no proof you get CTE thanks to their unscrupulous paid physicians who will say anything for a buck) from concussions.

Concussions have nothing to do with the cause of CTE in football-related cases. It's the repeated launching of the brain against the cranium that leds to CTE, and someone who plays 4 years of High School football will experience this more than 1000 times, especially if he's a Lineman on either side of the ball, or a runningback who gets used a lot.

The idea of your son, basically banging his head against a brick wall, sanctioned by parents, rooted on by parents, praised by the school system, paid for by the government, seems ludicrous, archaic, and flat out sickening to fathom.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

8. Likes:

Cooper (09-05-2018)

especially if he's a Lineman on either side of the ball, or a runningback who gets used a lot.
    This is something else I've very preliminarily discussed with him, if he does decide to play he's only playing if he can cut it at certain positions that aren't getting hit every play.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    This is something else I've very preliminarily discussed with him, if he does decide to play he's only playing if he can cut it at certain positions that aren't getting hit every play.
    A Wide Receiver is going to have 1/5 to 1/10 the number of brain to skull jarrings that a Lineman or heavily used RB gets, but he'll get more concussions than the Lineman. A CB really isn't in on that many plays, either. Nor is a FS.

I look at Football like boxing (or the use of the head in soccer). Anyone has the right at any age to be paid to do something, but Minors should be protected by the State from Adults who are either ignorant to their safety or are willing to abuse them for their own betterment (see any University that makes money off of their athletes). But to do it for free at a government institution or a private institution makes no sense because of the damge that gets done. The information is available now to not be ignorant about its dangers that we simply didn't have access to 10 years ago. Minors, even with adult consent, as adults can be irresponsible as heck when it concerns the health and well-being of their own children, should not be using their heads in soccer, or playing tackle football. The damage is not disputable no matter how many millions the NFL pays to get false information out there to the contrary.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

11. Likes:

Cooper (09-05-2018)

A Wide Receiver is going to have 1/5 to 1/10 the number of brain to skull jarrings that a Lineman or heavily used RB gets, but he'll get more concussions than the Lineman. A CB really isn't in on that many plays, either. Nor is a FS.

I look at Football like boxing (or the use of the head in soccer). Anyone has the right at any age to be paid to do something, but Minors should be protected by the State from Adults who are either ignorant to their safety or are willing to abuse them for their own betterment (see any University that makes money off of their athletes). But to do it for free at a government institution or a private institution makes no sense because of the damge that gets done. The information is available now to not be ignorant about its dangers that we simply didn't have access to 10 years ago. Minors, even with adult consent, as adults can be irresponsible as heck when it concerns the health and well-being of their own children, should not be using their heads in soccer, or playing tackle football. The damage is not disputable no matter how many millions the NFL pays to get false information out there to the contrary.
    This is an extreme position and would prevent letting a child do most activities in life. I also think it is a bit much to effectively call parents irresponsible who encourage and allow their children to participate in youth sports that involve contact. The dichotomy of our culture is interesting. We are the most violent culture on the face of the earth, but then get all indignant when it comes to something like youth sports and injury potential. It is little wonder children are increasingly anxious and neurotic adults.

A question. How does one who digs so deeply into a sport reconcile the position stated above? "I love football...you are an ignorant parent if you let your kid play football."

13. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-29-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    This is an extreme position and would prevent letting a child do most activities in life. I also think it is a bit much to effectively call parents irresponsible who encourage and allow their children to participate in youth sports that involve contact. The dichotomy of our culture is interesting. We are the most violent culture on the face of the earth, but then get all indignant when it comes to something like youth sports and injury potential. It is little wonder children are increasingly anxious and neurotic adults.

A question. How does one who digs so deeply into a sport reconcile the position stated above? "I love football...you are an ignorant parent if you let your kid play football."
    We're not talking broken bones here. Again, the research is there to not be ignorant about it. The people they put in charge of safety regarding children playing sports where CTE is a direct result of their participating in these sports are the same people who are ignorant about it's effects and deny the research that proves it. The insane are running the asylum. Check out any State's Director of Safety in sports, if they even have one, and you'll find that person to be a current football coach, a former football coach, but most definitely, someone who is not qualified to be in charge of Safety for High School sports.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-29-2018 at 05:47 PM.

You did not respond to my question.

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Former Eagles and Bucs DE Daniel Te'o-Nesheim suffered from Grade 2 CTE prior to his death last October.

Te'o-Nesheim died after a night of heavy drinking, and it was revealed he had alcohol and pills in his system. Brain doctors believe Te'o-Nesheim suffered "approximately 100 concussions, all from contact sports, 10 with loss of consciousness." He was a third-round pick of the Eagles in 2010.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Another sad case, Jamal Lewis

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial

I think RBs, particularly bruisers like Lewis, ought to retire early ala Barry Sanders and Robert Smith. Lewis is in sad shape and he's still in his 30s

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-12-2019)

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

Family members of the late Vincent Jackson say the former NFL wideout suffered from CTE. Jackson, who was found deceased on Monday at 38 years old, suffered from chronic alcoholism, according to Hillsborough County Sheriff Chad Chronister. The sheriff added the Jackson's family members believe he struggled for years with symptoms of CTE, or brain degeneration likely caused by repeated head traumas -- an alarmingly common issue for ex-NFL players. Jackson had isolated himself in a hotel for a month before he was found dead. The league created a fund for former players who suffer from cognitive decline, a move criticized by many as inadequate.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com

From NBC Sports w/ NBC Sports comments:

The Titans are "continuing to monitor" Adam Humphries three months after he suffered a concussion against the Bengals. Titans general manager Jon Robinson was vague about Humphries' status after he returned for just one game following a frightening concussion on November 1 against the Bengals. “There’s nothing more important – we’ve said it a million times – than the health and the safety of our players. That was a pretty tough hit he took there,” Robinson said. “We’re just continuing to monitor and talk to the doctors and talk to Adam (Humphries), and make sure he’s back to normal and just kind of see how that goes.” Humphries, the team's slot receiver, will count for $9.47 million against the cap in 2021, making him a cut candidate. With Corey Davis, Jonnu Smith, MyCole Pruitt, Geoff Swaim, and Kalif Raymond scheduled to be free agents this offseason, A.J. Brown could be the only Tennessee pass catcher returning for the 2021 season.

SOURCE: TitansInsider.com

“There’s nothing more important – we’ve said it a million times – than the health and the safety of our players.

...but you gotta understand this is a business, and you can't win championships from the tub. We're letting you go. Best wishes."
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

22. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-17-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

NFL pledges to halt ‘race-norming,’ review Black claims

The NFL on Wednesday pledged to halt the use of “race-norming” — which assumed Black players started out with lower cognitive function — in the $1 billion settlement of brain injury claims and review past scores for any potential race bias.

The practice made it harder for Black retirees to show a deficit and qualify for an award. The standards were created in the 1990s in hopes of offering more appropriate treatment to dementia patients, but critics faulted the way they were used to determine payouts in the NFL concussion case.

Wednesday’s announcement comes after a pair of Black players filed a civil rights lawsuit over the practice, medical experts raised concerns and a group of NFL families last month dropped 50,000 petitions at the federal courthouse in Philadelphia — where the lawsuit had been thrown out by the judge overseeing the settlement.

Senior U.S. District Judge Anita B. Brody later took the unusual step of asking for a report on the issue. Black retirees hope it will include a breakdown of the nearly $800 million in payouts so far by race. They fear the data will never come to light.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

24. Likes:

Chip R (06-04-2021)

Turn Off Ads?