Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: League of Denial: The NFL's Concussion Crisis | FRONTLINE

Re: League of Denial: The NFL's Concussion Crisis | FRONTLINE

It's been proven you can't wait for the NFL to warn you of the dangers. You have to be proactive, which is what Borland says he is doing.

"I feel largely the same, as sharp as I've ever been. For me, it's wanting to be proactive," Borland said. "I'm concerned that if you wait till you have symptoms, it's too late. ... There are a lot of unknowns. I can't claim that X will happen. I just want to live a long healthy life, and I don't want to have any neurological diseases or die younger than I would otherwise."

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...njury-concerns
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

I honestly think future generations will grow up in a world without NFL football.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I honestly think future generations will grow up in a world without NFL football.
    There will be an NFL... National Flagfootball League and it will be glorified 7 on 7 drills.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    There will be an NFL... National Flagfootball League and it will be glorified 7 on 7 drills.
    It may be for the best. Do we as humans really need to watch other humans inflict serious head injuries on one another for entertainment?

6. Likes:

Dom Heffner (03-17-2015),Donder (03-17-2015),marcshoe (01-20-2016)

Do we as humans really need to watch other humans inflict serious head injuries on one another for entertainment?
    I think we do.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

It may be for the best. Do we as humans really need to watch other humans inflict serious head injuries on one another for entertainment?
    That's a side effect of the game itself. If the purpose of the game was to injure your opponent (like boxing) then I'd agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That's a side effect of the game itself. If the purpose of the game was to injure your opponent (like boxing) then I'd agree with you
    I think a large percentage of NFL fans enjoy the violence of the game, but that doesn't really matter. Many football players are experiencing traumatic head injuries because we as a society enjoy what they are doing. Free market and all that, but at what point should we as a society take a minute and think about what we are supporting?

In the end, football is just a game, and people are dying because of a game.

I think a large percentage of NFL fans enjoy the violence of the game, but that doesn't really matter. Many football players are experiencing traumatic head injuries because we as a society enjoy what they are doing. Free market and all that, but at what point should we as a society take a minute and think about what we are supporting?

In the end, football is just a game, and people are dying because of a game.
    Nobody's dying "because of a game". People are dying as they do in every aspect in life....because of money.

Well....yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Nobody's dying "because of a game". People are dying as they do in every aspect in life....because of money.
    If you could eliminate 1000 people in the next 10 years from suffering traumatic brain injuries which regularly result in suicide by ending football would you do it? I would. I will just watch more baseball and soccer. Football is just a game.

If you could eliminate 1000 people in the next 10 years from suffering traumatic brain injuries which regularly result in suicide by ending football would you do it? I would. I will just watch more baseball and soccer. Football is just a game.
    No I would not, and I've led the charge on this website for bringing to light the serious nature of the negative effects of head trauma. There's bigger fish to fry.

Nor would I ban transfats in New York City or handguns in Chicago. Banning things is no way to deal with problems. If that were the case, I'd have a very long list of things I would ban. Call me Emperor Kingspoint, then.

There needs to be independent medical personnel who work for the player's union assigned to each team and weight needs to be given to their recommendations regarding the players' safety.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-17-2015 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    No I would not, and I've led the charge on this website for bringing to light the serious nature of the negative effects of
    head trauma.
    As long as it's a choice and we don't go back to Roman gladiator days when people were forced into playing deadly games then I have no problem with it. I have no problem with the choice Borland madeor the choice Burfict has made which is that he doesn't care how messed up gets leading with his head

More people will die from swimming pools or motorcycles or 100s of other regular everyday activities than from football in that time frame. You can't just get rid of things that people choose to do just because you think you know better than them.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    More people will die from swimming pools or motorcycles or 100s of other regular everyday activities than from football in that time frame. You can't just get rid of things that people choose to do just because you think you know better than them.
    Sure you can...our government does it all the time.

Driving 200 mph on public roads
    Taking heroin, crystal meth, cocaine, etc

The issue with football is, even though we have been trying really hard recently to understand, we still do not have a real understanding of how much damage is being done to the human brain by playing football.

Swimming pool/Motorcycle accidents are accidents.

Football = an authority figure (coach) telling a child/teenager/young man to "get out there and rip that running backs head off!!!!!!" When you put a big hit on an opposing player you are doing exactly what you are supposed to do, and are celebrated for it.

Here is a good example of a legal, celebrated football hit:

This is disgusting.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 03-18-2015 at 01:08 PM.

Awesome! Take that kicker!

Actually, I still can't figure out how that wasn't a penalty. That was blatant head-hunting.

Turn Off Ads?